Home PSA Set Registry Forum

SGC vs PSA and 1933 Goudeys

I'm sure in previous threads this has been discussed, and I know this is a PSA board, but I'm collecting 1933 Goudey's. Before I really "knew" about SGC, PSA, etc - so I have about 7 of my cards that are PSA, 2 that are SGC and a dozen ungraded. (Collecting mid-condition). I love using the PSA Set Registry, it's fun seeing how you rate, etc - and I was going to put my dozen ungraded through PSA. As I was considering sending in the SGC's for a switch over, a few thoughts came to mind:

1 - Hate to say it, but the cards look and hold real nicely in the SGC case - it feels like they are art items being showcased, esp on these Goudeys
2 - How active is the SGC Set Registry?
3 - Collecting Goudeys - is there a preference? I noticed in auctions, that sets - even older ones - are RARELY auctioned that are SGC sets.
4 - Anyone have some mid-condition Goudeys that they would love to see in the hands of a very earnest collector for a reasonable price? image

Thanks guys - in short, I've loved finding this community and look forward to learning more!

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com

Comments

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    SGC 33 Goudey Registry looks like 48 over at
    SGC and I am too lazy to look how many at PSA.. I like the SGC holder too, my only wish is they would
    rework the flip so its better looking and not so I did this in the basement while eating hot pockets look to it.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    image There are 88 1933 Goudey sets currently on the registry.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    So why PSA over SGC?
    Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    While 73 PSA registered sets compared to 46 SGC registered sets gives the impression there's a great demand for both, if you actually look at the 46 sets registered with SGC the 46 number is unimpressive and shows very little collector activity. There's not a single 239 card set registered. 7 of the registered "sets" are at 0% with 0 cards registered. 11 of the sets are at 0% with up to a few cards registered. 4 are at 1% with up to a few cards registered. 7 are at less than 10% complete. That's 29 sets registered containing about 150 cards total. From the 17 remaining sets, 12 range from 15% to 41% complete, and the top 5 sets range from 65% to 96% complete.

If you compare those "sets" to the sets that make up PSA's registry there really is no comparison. PSA's complete set is at 240 cards with Lajoie, and there are 7 complete sets registered. There's 2 more missing only Lajoie, and then 8 sets at 90% or better. Where SGC has 4 sets in the 65% or better range PSA has 24 sets in the same range.

The 1933 Goudey set is in the top 5 of the most popular vintage sets to collect. The registry numbers show just how active both registries are. Low collector interest means a low availability of cards on the market, which means if you want to collect them in SGC holders you'll need to be submitting most of the cards yourself. Low interest now equates to low interest when selling so your investment won't hold up as much as if you were to invest in something that more people will want to buy when you're selling.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it; but to me it seems like SGC is becoming extinct.
  • I have heard it mentioned by more than just 1 person that SGC was a more popular choice for pre-war cards but it seems based on this example that it is not true. Is this an outdated belief?
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I have heard it mentioned by more than just 1 person that SGC was a more popular choice for pre-war cards but it seems based on this example that it is not true. Is this an outdated belief? >>

The number of registry sets doesn't necessarily correlate to set popularity, and PSA has done a FAR better job of encouraging registry participation than SGC has.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

• << <i>I hate to say it; but to me it seems like SGC is becoming extinct. >>

Sadly i tend to agree with this. their big changes at the top of the CS command cant be a "good thing"
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle