Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wow, if you have not yet

taken a look at the coin galleries posted at coingallery.org you are missing something very special. They're all good, but the Commems' gallery is an absolute knockout.

Click here.
There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it! Thanks for the link... image

ABimage
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Mackerel! Nice Large Cents and everything else!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Yeah...way cool!!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't figure out how to add any of the coins to my cart and pay for them though??? image
  • Options
    Wow those are awesome coins.
    Thanks for the linky.image
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

For those that don't know, this site is produced by a member of this
    Forum named Shylock. Almost all the participants are also members
    here and their collections are terrific!

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I couldn't figure out how to add any of the coins to my cart and pay for them though??? >>

That's pretty funny! I hadn't thought of even looking for a cart to which I could add them.image
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful stuff!
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks as the 1794 cents are new to the site... I'm now craving Chocolate! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow . . .

I just spun through the Commems, Blay's Lincolns, and the 1794s.

I think I am a poser in this hobby.

Drunner
    (Board Doily Slut)
  • Options
    Makes me miss seeing shylock around image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link and WOW is right.

Mike
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    holy cow, theres some real nice stuff in there. thanks image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Mesquite -

Glad you enjoyed the site. I dont collect/photograph/post(much) anymore, but I keep paying my yearly
    fees for this site so new collectors can enjoy these great coins. I have the utmost appreciation for the
    collectors who let me and Tim Larson photograph the coins for the site. All these collectors use to
    post here, not sure if they still do.

By the way, if you click on the Spanish Trail icon at the bottom of the page it brings you into .........

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    what no Maine comm?
  • Options

imageimageimageimage
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

WOW........................well it's official, after seeing these coins, I now know two things for certain,

1. In the numismatic world....i'm a peanut at best.
    2. I'm hangin around the right place.....image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have looked at the coins pictured in the linked site many times and never get tried of looking at them. Amazing coins, everyone of them.

I like Lincoln cents and enjoy looking at early red cents.

I took a second and a third look at all of the images for the 1919 MS69 Cent in the Blay Collection. It is an amazing looking coin. However I noticed in the photographs two things that caused me to wonder about the grade.

The first thing is what appears to be a spot in the lettering above Lincoln's head on the obverse. It looks light green in color. Maybe it is just a misleading photograph and the spot does not exist in reality. Has anyone seen the coin in hand? If so, was there a spot in the lettering above Lincoln's head?

The second thing is a fairly noticeable (from the large picture) gash on the "E" in "AMERICA" [a diagonal gash running (as you look left to right) from the Northwest (beginning in the vertical bar of the "E" slightly above the level of the middle horizontal bar) and running in a southeasterly direction (ending in the left side of the middle horizontal bar) on the reverse of the coin].

Do you think that the coin merits a grade of MS69 given presence of the gash and [possibly, if it exists] the spot described above?

I suspect that if the coin had the gash and/or the spot and was dated 1956 instead of 1919, it would not receive an MS69 grade.

Your thoughts?

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that site.

I don't own a wheat cent graded above 67 in my collection and have never handled any; so I could only pretend to know the between a 68 or 69.
    That '19 of Stewart's is a dream come true for me and I'd love to see it once before I cash out.

• Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Cool coins, but tbh, I know at least ten guys who could take batter pictures than that, and the "hi res" pictures are really far from. There's promise there but it could be a lot better.
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool coins, but tbh, I know at least ten guys who could take batter pictures than that, and the "hi res" pictures are really far from. There's promise there but it could be a lot better. >>

Yeah well, I think the pictures are somewhere around ten years old, at the time they were the best anybody had seen. Sure it could have been better, but one can only imagine the nightmare it must be to gather all of those phenomenal coins for a photoshoot, perhaps it is so hard that it was a once in a lifefime opportunityimage
  • Options
    Coindudeonebay,

True, I bet most of the forum now could take better images. But as Rob alluded to I used a Nikon Coolpix 995
    that was state of the art 10 years ago. And all of the coins were imaged on the road - at coins shows, bank vault
    viewing rooms, Gerry's (Thomas Irwin) were imaged at his business - with portable lights I had to travel with.
    But I certainly agree the images suck by today's standards.

SanctionII,

I agree you'd expect a 69RD to look perfect, but it essentially does in person. A combination of the intense
    Ott lighting and magnification makes all coppers look more flawed than their in-hand loop view. The lights I used
    always got the luster/color better on copper coins, but also magnified every minute flaw, it was a trade off.
    Those lights also illuminated the incredible stike of this coin, even with an ancient 3.3 megapixel camera.
    The beard is what hits most people first and rightfully so.

Stewart still had several 1919 68RDs I wish I had imaged to give you a better point of comparison given the flaws of all
    coin photography. And that's essentially how he made this coin. He had cherry picked the best from a roll and got a
    bunch (forget exact #) returned as 68RD. He then sent all the 68's in for review knowing one was obviously better,
    and he hit pay dirt. I doubt that could ever happen again -- who has half a dozen 68's at their disposal to send in
    to set up a higher grade like that?

It IS an amazing coin in person, dont be fooled by my half azz images.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Now those commems have the WOW Factor. Very beautiful indeed. Well done!image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Hey Shylock! Stop by more often!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Coindudeonebay,

True, I bet most of the forum now could take better images. But as Rob alluded to I used a Nikon Coolpix 995
    that was state of the art 10 years ago. And all of the coins were imaged on the road - at coins shows, bank vault
    viewing rooms, Gerry's (Thomas Irwin) were imaged at his business - with portable lights I had to travel with.
    But I certainly agree the images suck by today's standards.

SanctionII,

I agree you'd expect a 69RD to look perfect, but it essentially does in person. A combination of the intense
    Ott lighting and magnification makes all coppers look more flawed than their in-hand loop view. The lights I used
    always got the luster/color better on copper coins, but also magnified every minute flaw, it was a trade off.
    Those lights also illuminated the incredible stike of this coin, even with an ancient 3.3 megapixel camera.
    The beard is what hits most people first and rightfully so.

Paul, You were a pioneer in coin photography at a time when most forum members had no images, or the ones
    presented were simply awful. You have no need to explain your excellent work.

These forums have been sorely lacking for your absence and interesting conversations. You are missed.

Stewart still had several 1919 68RDs I wish I had imaged to give you a better point of comparison given the flaws of all
    coin photography. And that's essentially how he made this coin. He had cherry picked the best from a roll and got a
    bunch (forget exact #) returned as 68RD. He then sent all the 68's in for review knowing one was obviously better,
    and he hit pay dirt. I doubt that could ever happen again -- who has half a dozen 68's at their disposal to send in
    to set up a higher grade like that?

It IS an amazing coin in person, dont be fooled by my half azz images. >>

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I still love the Photoshop work you did.image
    Becky
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

That MS69RD 1919 Wheat Cent is just plain stupid crazy. wow.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Shylock, thanks for your response. I agree, that the pictures are absolutely wonderful for having been done 10 years ago! I can imagine what a nightmare it would have been to have to travel and get those photos done on the road. I couldn't imagine someone actually shipping those to anyone to get them photographed today. I don't think the mail services could be trusted.
  • Options
    Great to see Kranky & 66RB (great alltime forum posters/forum buds), LoveMyLiberty (amazing Eliasberg sets!)
    Bear (always loved your posts), quatrocoins (that's my favorite Altered Surfaces photoshop job too) and
    DorkGirl still on board here!

coindudeonebay,

One of the surprising things about this forum is you could actually watch coin photography advance like no place else.
    When I first came on board there were no images, just occasional links to crappy website pics. Then you started
    seeing forum members start to play around with the new digital technology. And they started sharing their tips
    with each other.

I honestly feel this place advanced coin imaging to what it is today. We had people here who did a better job than
    the MAJOR auction houses. I cant tell you how many posts I personally made slamming Heritage's copper images....

There are good and bad things we could all say about this place. But I have seen, by far, the best coin images
    ever taken on this forum. The talented photographers are too many to mention...

...many of whom reside in the Darkside forum I might add image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If they ain't for sale, then I ain't interested.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey...it's Shylock! Good to see you posting again! yay!

jom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file