Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A light "X" is graffiti and cause for a "no grade". Yet two separate light scrat

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
A light "X" is graffiti and cause for a bodybag. Yet two similarly light but separate scratches are not a big problem, and the coin will be graded. Why should this be?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Is that really a hard and fast rule? I've seen lots of coins in holders with much more then just a light X -
  • Options

<< <i>A light "X" is graffiti and cause for a bodybag. Yet two similarly light but separate scratches are not a big problem, and the coin will be graded. Why should this be? >>

If the "X" is in a prominent place and distracting, I would agree.

Pics would help everyone else see the coins in question.
  • Options
    Because the Gods say so.....
  • Options
    the graffiti is deliberate...
  • Options
    It sounds like perceived intentional marks vs. haphazard ones.
  • Options
    It sounds like perceived intentional marks vs. haphazard ones.

Yes, but why should that matter?
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>It sounds like perceived intentional marks vs. haphazard ones. >>

Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options

<< <i>It sounds like perceived intentional marks vs. haphazard ones.

Yes, but why should that matter? >>

Maybe it shouldn't. But, in general, and within limits, numismatists are more accepting of accidental/naturally occurring damage/flaws (similar to unintentional vs. intentional toning)?
  • Options
    OnTheHuntOnTheHunt Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    Because intentional graffiti is so much more visually distracting than similar random marks. Psychologists probably have a term for it.

Steve
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    And its more tolerable on earlier coinage. Specifically half dimes and dimes.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Because intentional graffiti is so much more visually distracting than similar random marks. Psychologists probably have a term for it.

I think you're on the right track. I think the problem is that if you see an intentional scratch on a coin, you envision someone intentionally applying the scratch, and that's probably (to some extent) infuriating. It would be more pleasant to envision accidental scratches caused by jingling around in someone's pocket.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then how do you rationalize the chopmarked Trade Dollars with assigned grades at PCGS, and E / L countermarked 1815 & 1825 Bust Quarters assigned grades at NGC? Aren't those intentional marks/damage?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

Then how do you rationalize the chopmarked Trade Dollars with assigned grades at PCGS, and E / L countermarked 1815 & 1825 Bust Quarters assigned grades at NGC? Aren't those intentional marks/damage? >>

What is YOUR answer to Andy's question?
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I see scratches in an area that obviously had a spot, it's more irritating than a similar number of random scratches.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Then how do you rationalize the chopmarked Trade Dollars with assigned grades at PCGS, and E / L countermarked 1815 & 1825 Bust Quarters assigned grades at NGC? Aren't those intentional marks/damage?

Chopmarks, countermarks and counterstamps are good examples of intentional "marks/damage" that don't bother me as much as purposeless numismatic vandalism. Again, it all goes back to what goes through your head when you see the coin, the coin's history you envision, the story the coin tells, and how you feel as a result. It's still a personal judgment call, of course.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    little events like this should be a reminder of what these little round metal discs were made for, they were made to use as money, to circulate for decades, being passed through thousands of hands, not one of those people ever dreamed that one day every little nick, ding and carving would be scrutinized.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    The same question can be raised for cleaning vs. circulation wear. If just going by the technical amount of wear/damage to a coin, a XF or AU circ would be the full equivalent of a cleaned coin, and sell for the same price.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Read Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell.

• Options

<< <i>It sounds like perceived intentional marks vs. haphazard ones.

Yes, but why should that matter? >>

Because there are some people who are accustomed to judging the eye appeal of a coin by taking their mind's eye off the coin.
  • Options

<< <i>Because intentional graffiti is so much more visually distracting than similar random marks. Psychologists probably have a term for it.

I think you're on the right track. I think the problem is that if you see an intentional scratch on a coin, you envision someone intentionally applying the scratch, and that's probably (to some extent) infuriating. It would be more pleasant to envision accidental scratches caused by jingling around in someone's pocket. >>

That's what I mean.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if two random haphazard scratches just happen to cross and form an X?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's more likely an X scratched/cut into a coin is a test mark rather than graffiti unless the person making the X is illiterate and was signing his name. Test marks were fairly common to verify the coin is silver or gold rather that a plated base metal.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    I am somewhat forgiving of test marks. Don't expect they will grade but given the context and the era, they seem a natural byproduct of commerce. In that vein, holes are not troubling to me either. Graffiti, well, that depends. If its my initials on the coin, I may be interested. Staple scratches are the worst, IMO. Depending on the coin, they make me want to keck.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check this scratch out on a PO01 1838-O dime. ebay #190484390493
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Check this scratch out on a PO01 1838-O dime. ebay #190484390493 >>

There is a reason why its been for sale so long! Sorry, make that two reasons.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    imageimage
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Without the scratches, I'd grade the 38-O FR02, so I'm guessing PCGS net graded it PRO1.

My question is this: Given that the market currently values a PR01 more than a FR02, should the net grade have been AG03? And if not, is this not proof that "market grading" is a myth?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A light "X" is graffiti and cause for a bodybag. Yet two similarly light but separate scratches are not a big problem, and the coin will be graded. Why should this be? >>

You're right.

• Options
    JustMe2JustMe2 Posts: 179 ✭✭
    But if you place a whole bunch of small x's on the stars it seams to be ok...

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1127&Lot_No=566

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file