Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Buy the grade not the card!

Not really, but that's what I felt like was being told by a seller yesterday...

I was looking at buying a lower grade T206 Ty Cobb card that I've always wanted and its price is up over $1000... I asked the seller if it had any creases, I'd actually personally prefer paper loss on the back to a crease or a small but tolerable pin hole, or rough corners, or a mark or stain on the back. Creases are just one thing I can't stand. This one wasn't a PSA 1, so I could only guess whether it might have a crease.

I got this response:

<< <i>I am not a grader.
The best advice that I can give to you
is to check the PSA grading descriptions. >>

Surely it either has a crease or doesn't have a crease and the grading standards don't tell me whether it does, just whether it might or won't have a crease. I'm no longer bidding on the card in question, but are you as anti-crease as I am?

Am I missing something as to why this is a question a seller would not answer?

If you were to auction off a high dollar card would you disclose if it had a crease in the auction discription? Would you disclose if a buyer asked? The main reason I ask is that I just sold a nice Sammy Baugh '52 Bowman Small. Loved the card til I found the crease on it. I swear I owned it for 20 years and never noticed the crease before I submitted it for grading, it was pretty subtle. When i listed it I described the crease the size of it and the location of it and the card sold within one week.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    IMO it has a crease.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>IMO it has a crease. >>

I agree with you Steve
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    That type of response is one you'd expect from somebody who doesn't have or doesn't know about what they're selling.
    Or if the question was asked on the CSA 8.5 that type of response would be expected.
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Normally I shy away from cards with creases but I do have a couple cards with them and it does not bother me so much. Light creases or wrinkles that are hard to see I can live with. However I do not understand why sellers won't state whether a card has a crease or not. Detailed descriptions on lower graded cards, especially those with nice eye appeal, is very important. I like to know why a card got the grade it did instead of having to guess.
  • Options
    Raw - would certainly describae any creasing. PSA graded - maybe not - but certainly would respond honestly to a pointed question about it. Ususally prefer no creases, however if we are talking about a SUPER rare card, would bother me less.

-Howard