Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just upgraded my 1809 Dime!

For over a year I have been stuck with a very lowly PO-01/FR-02 1809 Dime in my set. It was an eye sore and did not match most of my set which is in F/VF/EF. Although a rare date and a coin which does not appear often to collectors, it is a date which is available if you're willing to pay-up. Fortunately for me I did not need to splurge on a decent example, and was able to upgrade at a modest price.

I grade this coin a solid VG-10+. Rim weakness on the left half of the obverse and reverse is fairly typical on VF and lower specimens, and thus does not affect how the coin is graded. There's a couple of very light obverse scratches on the cheek, but they're only really visible at 10x and higher power, and they do not take away from the eye appeal. I would still like to upgrade to a VF piece, but that probably won't happen for quite a while.

Enjoy image

imageimage

P.S. Pics are pretty cr@ppy because I'm at school and only have my Dinolite to take pics with, so I have to do with what I have.

Comments

• Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Nice pickup!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Sorry for the blank message. Seems the power went out here and that was the result.

I have been wanting to get into Bust dimes now for sometime now. That looks to be a good example of an 1809, I would be happy with it. Seems to have some blues and greens showing through. I don't mind the scratches one bit.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice upgrade from a PO/FR.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Sorry for the blank message. Seems the power went out here and that was the result.

I have been wanting to get into Bust dimes now for sometime now. That looks to be a good example of an 1809, I would be happy with it. Seems to have some blues and greens showing through. I don't mind the scratches one bit. >>

The "Blues and Greens" are really a result of the light projecting down from the DinoLite, and the surfaces are a nice grey tone.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice upgrade Stone. Good looking tarnish.image
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1809 is a tough date in any grade - nice coin!
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice going Winston! The 1809 is one of my favorite coins, congrats! image

Here is my PCGS VG8 for you too.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Thanks all image

Moldnut, what does the reverse of yours look like?
    I'm interested to see what a Grading Set of these would look like!
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking 202 year old gal!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a mintage of only 51065 how many are really out there?

Nice coin.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice acquisition, Stone! image It's always great to buy an 1809 dime!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Nice Winston! I always look at 1809 dimes, but almost never find one worth looking at (then of course they want an arm and a leg to buy them.) If you paid reasonable money, it really is a congratulations.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    That certainly is a nice step up from a PO1/FR2.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

nice pickup. A VG-10 looks to be correct comparing to Moldnut's piece.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

MoldNut: <<Nice going Winston! The 1809 is one of my favorite coins, congrats!>>

HCHcoin: <<The 1809 is a tough date in any grade >>!

Leo: <<With a mintage of only 51065 how many are really out there?>>

I provide an estimate. Indeed, until I recently engaged in much further research of 1809 dimes, I did not realize how rare these really are! I have come to appreciate them even more than I did before.

Dimes of 1809 – A Key in the Capped Bust Dime Series

Dimes of 1822

insightful10{at} gmail.com

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I provide an estimate. Indeed, until I recently engaged in much further research of 1809 dimes, I did not realize how rare these really are! I have come to appreciate them even more than I did before.

Dimes of 1809 – A Key in the Capped Bust Dime Series

Dimes of 1822

insightful10{at} gmail.com >>

Thanks for those articles!

jom
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the first rare coins that I remember seeing ( this was circa 1965 ) was a nice 1809. I was in the local B&M and they had a nice one that would probably grade out as an AU today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file