Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who gives out you sucks now?

Who is the official giver, are we really still giving these out for a coin worth 4x to 8x purchase price?

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doritoes..........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>worth 4x to 8x purchase price? >>

Due to the recession qualifying now starts at 10x to 15x. Gonna be rough.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mistakenly shouted out a "You Suck!" to a forum member's bullion coin appreciation.

And I harken back to a PM from one MadMarty on this occurence.

Bad Goldbully!!! Giving out the coveted YOU SUCK to a bullion deal!!! Remember the YOU SUCK is when someone buys something very low (ie. $5-20) and makes a coin worth a sh*tload of money! (ie. $10,000 - $20,000). This bullion doesn't even come close to a YOU SUCK!!!!

Words to live by...... image

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think 4-8x ever qualified.
  • Okay, I was wondering as I saw a few new one from stuff that doesn't even come close. I didn't get one for my $100 purchase that turned into 10k so I was wondering? Guess people take it upon themselves to give them selves you sucks for a little score and makes everyone's you sucks that were legit worthless? Oh well.

• << <i>I don't think 4-8x ever qualified. >>

Technically, I have to agree. A 4x is only a "shut up!" Get it together, Tex.
  • I'm pretty sure it has to be confirmed by 3 or more people, at least mine was and that's why i took it as official.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't get one for my $100 purchase that turned into 10k so I was wondering? >>

I think that should qualify!

You suck image

Ed
  • "You Suck!" is something earned, not given.
  • BaseballAbs I remember yours, was it the 25/50? Oh wow, I suck, now I need 2 to confirm.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think 4-8x ever qualified. >>

That would only be a "nice score!".

Russ, NCNE
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay, I was wondering as I saw a few new one from stuff that doesn't even come close. I didn't get one for my $100 purchase that turned into 10k so I was wondering? Guess people take it upon themselves to give them selves you sucks for a little score and makes everyone's you sucks that were legit worthless? Oh well. >>

$100 to $10k? That is borderline robbery! image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    For this you suck stuff, does the person know it's happening, or simply finds out later? If the former, how are the you sucks distinguished from the rips...??

• << <i>Who gives out you sucks now? >>

There is a "Your Ma Ma joke" in there somewhere

• << <i>

<< <i>I didn't get one for my $100 purchase that turned into 10k so I was wondering? >>

I think that should qualify!

You suck image >>

I agree. Allow me to second that. image
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭
    TexasNationals: YOU SUCK! I guess that make's it a third and official. image

Ray

PS: I was wondering the same thing. Bought 3 coins for about $5. Submitted and got 3 Pop 1's. Then one upgraded to a Pop 10. Two are over $2K and one was a lowly $500 coin. I don't need a you suck because I made my set better. BUT, you sure deserve one! Congrats. LOL
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• << <i>"You Suck!" is something earned, not given. >>

also not asked for by the members
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Oh, I had a great thought... but it'd get me banned...image

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    Ordinarily, I would think turning $100 to $10,000 would be fodder for a You Suck. However, more information is needed. I wonder who gives out the provisional You Suck's while the merits are officially assessed in a clandestine manner.
  • I want to see pictures, but if what your saying is true then here is your 4th" YOU SUCK "Texas!
    I guess we all want a little pat on the back for Good luck and effort.
    They need a YOU SUCK emotion on this forum.
    Yes mine was the 25/50 and i didn't ask for it. Which i agree should be one of the rules.
    There really needs to be degrees of " YOU SUCK" I could bank over a $1000 maybe $1500 on a G grade coin that was givin a "YOU SUCK".If you could do better than that then you suck worse.
    I would think three confirmations would qualify as well unless someone wants to differ.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought sure that the "You Suck" stuff started between Madmarty, Russ, and a couple of other old timers.

Marty had been keeping tally on a Web Page and at one time even posted specific criteria but stopped updating the page some time ago.

I think the general criteria has fallen to be simply something everybody else whishes they'd found or had graded or whatever. 1972 DDO Lincolns come to mind? image

Oldest "You Suck" I could find was here.

However, don't worry about it, if someone thinks "You Suck", they'll let you know. Just don't go soliciting sucks.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • That's an old suck, almost 9 years.

Looks like Lanlord is one of the founding fathers of the You Suck, Looks like I'm feeling good about mine.
  • Well, long and short, it was well documented on these boards, 17 1949 D/S EDS Jefferson's from a BU roll bought on ebay for $107. This was before I destroyed the pops many years ago and netted me over 10k in profits. It is on the boards.
    Wow!! 17 of em! You do suck! image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got one once for a brick of Washington dollars with missing edge lettering. The brick only cost me face. image

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>Well, long and short, it was well documented on these boards, 17 1949 D/S EDS Jefferson's from a BU roll bought on ebay for $107. This was before I destroyed the pops many years ago and netted me over 10k in profits. It is on the boards. >>

Find the thread so someone can you suck it.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    19lyds, that really sounded wierd. image

• From what I've seen, you can't get a you suck by fishing for it. You have to be, like
    all cool and casual and everything. Part of the you suck mentality is that you don't
    even seem to care about it. Which is what makes you suck.

Or maybe I just suck at understanding what this is all about.

It seems anyone can (try to) hand out a you suck. But if you give one out too
    leniently, you'll get slapped by the numiscenti.

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • I got it but didnt recognize it as an award since it was my first thread on the sight $30 face value worth of silver at face value including a 1890 CC Morgan at my work
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who is the official giver, are we really still giving these out for a coin worth 4x to 8x purchase price? >>

If you have to ask....

imageimage
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

<< <i>

<< <i>Who is the official giver, are we really still giving these out for a coin worth 4x to 8x purchase price? >>

If you have to ask....

imageimage >>

exactly image

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Find the thread so someone can you suck it. >>

<< <i>19lyds, that really sounded wierd. >>

Yeah, I'm having a hard time with that one too! image
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you have to ask....

imageimage >>

exactly image >>

The first rule of the You Suck club is....

Sean Reynolds

P.S.: Best I ever got was a You Suck Lite™, for turning a $140 purchase into a little over three grand.
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I nominate Russ to be the official "You Suck!" award giver. Anyone with 63,000+ posts deserves SOME sort of perk, right? image
  • So is there a fine line between making a great purchase and taking advantage of someone else. A poor old lady verses a coin dealers bargain box? If I listed my greatest purchases in the last couple of years to possibly qualify for this, might I get an how can you only pay this when you knew it was worth that. Maybe its when you don't know and then are surprised or purchase a 1893-S morgan in a Pawn shop..??
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...

You Sucks are given, not asked for.

100x purchase price is in the neighborhood.

If you ask, even if you qualify, you are disqualified.

Sounds about right.

<< <i>So is there a fine line between making a great purchase and taking advantage of someone else. A poor old lady verses a coin dealers bargain box? If I listed my greatest purchases in the last couple of years to possibly qualify for this, might I get an how can you only pay this when you knew it was worth that. Maybe its when you don't know and then are surprised or purchase a 1893-S morgan in a Pawn shop..?? >>

Taking "advantage" of someone else NEVER warrants a You Suck. Especially Little Old Ladies!

The real value of the You Suck is in the "discovery" such as Shasta's Starred Reverse, or Marty's consistant ability to find DCAM coins in sealed proof sets.

One of the biggest I recall was this 1962D MS67 Washington that Bushmaster8 purchased in a 2x2 for $8.00!

That really SUCKED!

The name is LEE!
  • I bought the BU roll on ebay for my BU set and socked it away. I didn't look through the rolls for many months and when I did, bingo. It was not cherry picked, I fell into it.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Back in the wild west days here we did have a "YOU SUCK" webpage! The people who already sucked would hand out new awards of suckyness... Then came the days that someone would flip something for double and think and ask for a "YOU SUCK". It really kind of got lost in translation when it became a common used term around here. Russ, Don Heath and I started the "YOU SUCK" club, and there were some huge scores back then...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

The name is LEE!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Thanks everyone, I wasn't really looking for one, juts trying to remember the guidelines so I can forum cop the boards!
  • Here is an old post - where Russ officially took Marty off the leader board. This is a "You Suck" - "You Suck" POP 0/1/0 MS64FS Jefferson

Here are some of the others:

<< ...Marty, (1962 MS66FBL Frankie, POP 2/0), to #2, and Don, (1966 MS68DCAM SMS Kennedy POP 4/0), to #3. >>

Don't forget Manorcourtmans pop 2/0 1963 Lincoln.
  • Choose...
    Turn a 100 dollar coin purchase into 10K or win a you suck award?

Uh, Let me think about that while I am counting the cash. image
  • No offense intended.
    Saw a current post and went surfing "You Suck".
    Seemed fun enough.
    A light hearted jest aimed at the question of "You Suck" awarded for numistamatic import, or for massive cash flow influx.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    and I still could give a sh*t what the OP thinks about me. I'm still here, and he aint, at least not under the original profile created.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file