Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2011 PCGS SLABBED LINCOLN CENTS

Here is a question for you knowledgeable dealers and collectors.

I have a complete collection of Lincoln proof cents in PCGS slabs. I also have a significant collection of Lincoln business strike cents in PCGS slabs.
All of these coins thru 2008 are in the slab showing the obverse of the coin and the label on the front of the slab. In 2009 the US Mint produced four different reverse designs and it made sense for PCGS to show the slab with the reverse and the label on the front of the slab. In 2010 the Shield reverse was introduced and again PCGS shows the reverse of the coin and the label on the front of the slab. I now notice on EBAY that the new 2011 Lincoln proof cent again is showing the Shield reverse with the label on the front of the slab.

IS IT NOW GOING TO BE THE ONGOING POLICY OF PCGS TO SHOW THE REVERSE INSTEAD OF THE OBVERSE OF THE LINCOLN CENT ON THE FRONT OF THEIR SLABS?

One of the reasons I have always enjoyed collecting Lincoln cents is because that coin's date and mintmark was on the obverse and easily seen to distinguish the coins. I can understand in 2009 and even 2010 with new reverses that showing and highlighting the reverse made sense. Now, as the Shield reverse will remain into the future it seems to me that having the portrait of Lincoln with the date and mintmark should again be featured on the front of the PCGS slab. Has anyone (dealer or collector) discussed this issue with PCGS?

I'd also be interested in your opinions on this subject. Thanks,

Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    Thats dumb putting the shield on the front. I totally agree with you.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, I would agree that the date and Lincolns portrait should NOW be on the front of the slab. Haven't heard anyone else mention this and I haven't seen
    any announcement on the subject. Have those folks in the slabbing room even been directed to do one or the other?? It seems someone should have a conversation
    with customer service and relay it back to the boards. Steve, do you have the time to do this? Shag
  • Options
    You shoudn't have to tell them!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine you could send one in to be reholdered and specifically state on the form how you want it holdered....not that you should have to do this.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile: