Thomas Edison Signed Work Memo

Just picked this up last month:

Thomas Edison Memo
Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,

Nice - how many lines on that stationary? Would like to see the paper in hand. I am pretty sure there is no problem....many diagnostics - just fine. The added date of 1926 is just a little bit odd. I had to have a friend help me to put my finger on that - something struck me ever so slightly off. You got it rather cheap image

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Really kewl item. Do you guys think that the "1926" may have been written by the "owner" of the memo? Maybe he researched it and determined, to his satisfaction, that it was written in that year? How would this effect the price? I am into autos, but mostly on sports cards.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Hi there,

maybe - it rubbed me the wrong way a tiny bit but I am overtly careful. Just the sort of thing to add "authenticity" - having said the the whole note appears in his hand and shares many diagnostics. It could be from a bunch of stuff that was broken up and annotated with date. Very likely genuine. I know he did not ask for opinions but I prefer that to mindless "that's beautiful" image

Eric
  • Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    I finally checked back and I'm excited you guys gave it a look - thanks! I thought the 1926 on it was odd as well - its a lighter shade and I think I just assumed it was someone in the future noting it was written in 1926. It comes with a PSA Pre-Certified thing - but to be honest, I'm not really sure what that means. I'm kind of starting out in this (collecting cool history items). My next question is if there is a better place than ebay to find similar type items?

• Options
    Hi,

happy to see you respond - it is almost always hit and run here. I've been here for 6 years with little else. image
    To your question - what it means? Nothing. See your PM sir image

Eric image
  • Options
    Actually nendee - turn you PM on please image

Eric
  • Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Eric - it's on now. Learning the ropes on the board.

• Options
    Hi Dboneesq,

Sorry - I missed your question about price and the date added in another hand. "It depends" is the answer. To an investor condition and so on is everything. To a collector..well, lemme give an example of "collector" vs. "investor"...
    I collect signed photographs of Hollywood stars. The example I have of Judy Garland's signature (almost always forged) is a 4" x4" old b/w snapshot photograph taken with deckled edges. If I recall correctly it was late 1955. It was taken by Grace Cunningham (The Grace Cunningham Collection of TV candids) and shows Grace's TV close - up with its tiny screen in a dark room - fuzzy but you can see what is going on. What is going on is Judy Garland's first TV appearance, I think at the premier of he Man with the Golden Arm or possibly the third broadcast premier on TV of A Star is Born. She took this small photo, drew a small "x" on the front and mailed to Judy Garland with a return address on the back and a request to sign by the "x'". Judy signed, with a greeting, in nice blue fountain - Grace had used early ball point which thankfully contained more blue pigment than varnish so no skipping and no yellowing. Now, I can't sell this unique unpublished photo to an investor. He will want a razor sharp 8"x10" uninscribed pro portrait, glossy or matte or pearl finish...in perfect condition with no issues, no "x". Thing is.... I have seen and passed on hundreds such photos...even owned some, but I have only ever seen the one signed candid....one other from another period - and that's it. The investor wants something easily resold - I wanted something as close to the release date of A Star is Born as I could find. The date was confirmed by a Garland author who knows her every move - he was able to tell from the clothes she had on when it might have been taken - there are no photographs from the third A Star is Born premier so that was a possibility. I had the date narrowed to a year from her signature. Anyway - did i mention all these dynamics allowed me to buy this photograph in broad daylight on eBay for $68? image

Best,
    Eric