Home U.S. Coin Forum

What does AU58 mean to you?

To me, it should be a coin that has VERY MINOR wear on the high points, has VERY MINIMAL contact marks, still retains a lot of luster and is essentially an MS68 that circulated for a very limited period of time... literally, maybe once or twice.
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Often, I like an AU58 coin more than a beat up 62----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it means the most collectible grade for most series of coins. Has all strike high points(with maybe an ever so slight rub), lustre, color(if copper or silver toning present) and has actually touched consumers hands. A true numismatic treasure and my favorite grade.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To me, it should be a coin that has VERY MINOR wear on the high points, has VERY MINIMAL contact marks, still retains a lot of luster and is essentially an MS68 that circulated for a very limited period of time... literally, maybe once or twice. >>

image You forgot to add that you get to buy it for less than MS60 money just to complete the fantasy. image

To me it's a coin with definite wear, not just on the highest points but also in the fields - which also show evidence of circulation marks. It has more luster than an AU55 and MAYBE a few less marks, but really it's about the extra luster. It's a coin that definitely circulated, not just from the bank around the block a few times.

IMO, the services would grade more consistently if they threw away the artificial MS60 ceiling/floor and just assigned an overall desirability number to a coin taking wear and/or friction into account in the net grade process. It does appear to me that's where they're headed.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>You forgot to add that you get to buy it for less than MS60 money just to complete the fantasy. image >>

Who are you kidding? An AU58 costs more than an MS63 now that they Everyman Registry sets have become so successful! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To me it means the most collectible grade for most series of coins. Has all strike high points(with maybe an ever so slight rub), lustre, color(if copper or silver toning present) and has actually touched consumers hands. A true numismatic treasure and my favorite grade.
    Jim >>

I agree with Jim. AU58 is most usually the best bang for the buck. Sometimes you come across coins that look so gemmy that you have to wonder why they are in a AU58 holder. I have several that I honestly can see no rub on. Aside from the holder, they rival most MS65s but at a fraction of the price.

<< <i>Who are you kidding? An AU58 costs more than an MS63 now that they Everyman Registry sets have become so successful! image >>

That's true too! AU58s in many series are now selling for MS62 money, and sometimes more. I have paid 2X Price Guide on a few of my V nickels.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A coin with 90 to 95 percent luster and very little if any wear. To me there is a huge difference between AU58 and AU55.

Ken
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Who are you kidding? An AU58 costs more than an MS63 now that they Everyman Registry sets have become so successful! image >>

That's true too! AU58s in many series are now selling for MS62 money, and sometimes more. I have paid 2X Price Guide on a few of my V nickels. >>

Just after the everymans sets came out I was watching what 1919S PCGS AU58 mercs were doing. At the time they were going for 200 to 300 bucks on ebay. Thats easily 2 times sheet and closer to 3 times sheet. I had one and just could not sell it for the going rate so I dumped it at $160, I think it was, for a nice little profit. I.m sure other examples like this are out there.

Ken
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To me, it should be a coin that has VERY MINOR wear on the high points, has VERY MINIMAL contact marks, still retains a lot of luster and is essentially an MS68 that circulated for a very limited period of time >>

An MS/AU68 is quite a push as there's so many levels to AU58...

There's Semi and Total Dogs and then there's some real nice examples that may posses the look of a MS/AU64-66.

To date I've not seen a +'d AU58 that I felt was deserving as being anything special, but time will tell.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO, the services would grade more consistently if they threw away the artificial MS60 ceiling/floor and just assigned an overall desirability number to a coin taking wear and/or friction into account in the net grade process. It does appear to me that's where they're headed. >>

THIS!

I don't see wear as any more of a detriment to a coin than bag marks or lack of luster so I don't see why it can't be just another way to come to some consensus as to grade/price. Many high end AU coins are nicer than lower end MS pieces and that is the way they should be graded, IMO.

jom
  • Means someone had a NGC MS graded coin sent it to PCGS and got screwed.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.

• << <i>To me, it should be a coin that has VERY MINOR wear on the high points, has VERY MINIMAL contact marks, still retains a lot of luster and is essentially an MS68 that circulated for a very limited period of time... literally, maybe once or twice. >>

Those "contact marks" you reference are called "PMD" on a circulated coin. They're no grading criteria. At least, not technically. From a market grading standpoint, they're meaningful to the degree they negatively impact on "eye appeal."
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What date and mint is it I see a lot more wrong with a key date AU58 than a common date coin.
    I think some of the images here will explain.
      My set.
    • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
      AU 58 is a coin thats an MS 63 or 64 with the slightest trace of rub
    • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
      "What does AU58 mean to you?"

A coin that costs less than an MS 60 and more than an AU 55.
      Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

<< <i>"What does AU58 mean to you?"

A coin that costs less than an MS 60 and more than an AU 55. >>

Aw, come on Mike! What? I sure wish that were the truth. My Everyman V nickels would have been a LOT less expensive! LOL

<< <i>What date and mint is it I see a lot more wrong with a key date AU58 than a common date coin.
      I think some of the images here will explain.
        My set. >>

WOW!!! That is an awesome set of Morgans!
      • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
        What does AU58 mean to me? Look carefully to see if it's a decent AU58+ upgrade candidate.image
        Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
      • zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
        AU58 means that unless I look carefully I'd think the coin was MS64 or better.
      • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...it means, mostly, it costs less than uncirculated. image
        "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
      • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AU 58 is a coin thats an MS 63 or 64 with the slightest trace of rub >>

Tom

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"What does AU58 mean to you?"

A coin that costs less than an MS 60 and more than an AU 55. >>

LOL image One that looks like my DBD and i would own more of them... image

ABimage

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
        I agree with most, it's a gem coin with a slight rub.

• << <i>I agree with most, it's a gem coin with a slight rub. >>

That doesn't make any sense. A MS63 with light rub and high luster is still a AU58???. If you think that is what a 55 is then I would say a 55 is the level where wear starts not just friction rub. if you don't know the difference take 2 new quarters out of a roll, they can be baggy, rub one hard between 2 other clad quarters for 2mins and the between you fingers for 2 more mins. that is a 58.
      • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
      • To me and AU58 is a MS 65 or better coin that has just the slightest bit of wear and
        loss of luster on the high points, but very very few marks and great eye appeal.

An AU55 would be a MS63 or MS64 coin with slightly more wear and loss of luster
        than the AU58 and it would also have more contact marks and the eye appeal
        would be less that the AU58.
        Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
        Life member of ANA
      • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with most, it's a gem coin with a slight rub. >>

That doesn't make any sense. A MS63 with light rub and high luster is still a AU58???. If you think that is what a 55 is then I would say a 55 is the level where wear starts not just friction rub. if you don't know the difference take 2 new quarters out of a roll, they can be baggy, rub one hard between 2 other clad quarters for 2mins and the between you fingers for 2 more mins. that is a 58. >>

I'm not sure what you've postulated, but I believe you are confusing circulation with bag marks...
      • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
        It's easier to show what it means.

imageimage
        Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
      • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Now TWITA!
        Nice JJ.
        Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
      • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
        Slight wear on the highest points - only. Very light disruption of field luster. Any more prominent things and it's EF.
      • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
        To me, it means it could be anywhere between MS-68 with a hint of rub, or a beat to death MS-60 with a hint of rub.

I've always thought an AU58 grade should be graded AU-58/65 (or such) reflecting the overall quality of the specific coin.
        I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
        Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
      • UtahCoin wrote:
        To me, it means it could be anywhere between MS-68 with a hint of rub, or a beat to death MS-60 with a hint of rub.

I feel that a MS-60 with a hint of rub/loss of luster would be a AU50. An MS60 is going to have alot of marks and hits
        and usually it will not have very good eye appeal.
        Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
        Life member of ANA
      • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
        I know I'm too strict, but I believe some of the arguments above...if there's wear at all, the coin is not MS. There are lots of AU bust halves and large cents in MS holders, but they're still AU. What I really dislike is when an auction house uses a TPG grade to argue rank in the EAC condition census..."this coins grades MSxx, putting it near the top of the CC". Unless it's actually been compared to the other coins in the census, that statement is meaningless. Sorry for the rant. image
        ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
      • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Thats funny I went to school with masselpessel hesselgesser...wonder if it was a relation?
      • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
        To me many AU58 coins are simply bargain priced MS63 to MS66 coins in disguise. I have seen some beauties you simply can't find a mark or rub on the surface.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
        It would be nice if one could say that an AU50 is equal to a MS60 with wear, an AU55 is equal to MS63 with slight wear and an AU58 is equal to MS65+ with slight wear. But that is not the way the grading scales are set up.

All grades between 1 and 59 are a progressive scale based on wear. All grades from MS60 and MS70 are "uncirculated" and based on strike, bag marks, eye appeal... anything with circulation rub is not in this class.

Therefore a beat to hell MS60 and a wonderful MS68, both given just a little circulation rub should (in theory) both end up in the AU58 holder.

It would be nice if the AU50-AU59 scale was treated similar to the MS60-MS69 scale. But then we would need a class for the Almost Almost Uncirculated (AAU) but better than an XF.image
      • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
        I like mine to look like thisimage

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
        It means AU50 BUT a key date. image
        "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
      • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
        dont talk about AU59. dont give them any ideas.....image
      • coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
        The first thing that comes to mind is... great quality at an affordable price. Especially as compared to some MS examples.
      • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>dont talk about AU59. dont give them any ideas.....image >>

You're too late. AU58+ coins are floating around.
        I bought an AU58+ T.2 double eagle two weeks ago--I was surprised
        that it wasn't deemed mint state by PCGS.
        Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
        Does anyone have a real AU58 1877 IHC?? I'd sure like to see it. image
      • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
        I fail to see where in any strict numerical designation, an AU58 denotes the "quality" of the surface.
        It denotes the time it has briefly spent in circulation.
        And how much wear the coin has.
        A big old Lustrous Morgan, with bag marks, but just a small rub on the cheek, should be no less a 58 than a similar Lustrous one with no bag marks and a small rub.
        The subsequent "quality" issues are what +, *, and CAC is for.
        Or the word Choice.
        Or, $$$ vs $$1/2.
        We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
      • COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
        It means I am running out of money. image
      • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To me, it should be a coin that has VERY MINOR wear on the high points, has VERY MINIMAL contact marks, still retains a lot of luster and is essentially an MS68 that circulated for a very limited period of time... literally, maybe once or twice. >>

You are wishing in one hand and pooping in the other.

• << <i>To me, it should be a coin that has VERY MINOR wear on the high points, has VERY MINIMAL contact marks, still retains a lot of luster and is essentially an MS68 that circulated for a very limited period of time... literally, maybe once or twice. >>

It would be nice if all AU58s were MS68s with a little rub but that isn't the case. There are scuffy MS60s with a little rub in AU58 holders.

Remember, there is no Santa Claus in numismatics.
      • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
        To me, AU58 means the coin didn't live a sheltered life. I like to think of the history behind the coin; where it's been, what it's paid for. Maybe that CBH bought some guy the meal that saved his life...

I like the coins with a history to them. MS coins, while lovely and all that, to me, are too sterile.
        imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file