Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Value of the 8.5 Grade--One of My Largest Trades Ever

Since PSA went to their half grade system, I have been sending in my PSA 8s by the hundreds or even by the thousands for bumps to the 8.5 grade. On true vintage cards I perhaps get 5-7% bumped with higher percentages as I go through the 50s and 60s.

As I am attempting to collect sets that are PSA 8 or better, I listen to any trade offers for my 8.5s or 9s.. This past month I acted upon one of those offers.

One can debate whether I got the better of the deal or not but the deal certainly illustrates how valuable the 8.5s are becoming in the vintage sets.

The offering was for the following 1953 Bowman Color 8.5s.

96 Maglie(pop 1 with 2 higher)
101 Schiendienst(pop 1 with 2 higher)
103 Ennis(pop 3 with 1 higher)
109 Wood (pop 1 with 2 higher)
155 Clark(pop 1 with 1 higher)

In return the collector gave me:

1)PSA 8s of the above cards
2)PSA 8s of two high numbered Dodger cards I need in the 1953 Bowman Color Set --Russ Meyer and Bobby Morgan--which Memory Lane had for sale at $5,700 and I valued at $5,000
3)PSA 8 of 1952 Topps black back of Gil Hodges(my value $3,500)
4)PSA 8 of 1952 Topps Wayne Terwilliger red back--(my value $1,500)

So in return for accepting PSA 8s of these 5 cards(which I originally had in 8), I got approximately $10,000 worth of cards I needed.

Again, not saying I got the better or worse of the deal but bit does show that in the right situation the considerable value premium that the 8.5s are bringing.

Jim

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Wow, great info. would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during those trade talks. Greatbto see you can still make a good ole fashioned trade as well. congrats Jim
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Thanks Matt--maybe my second largest trade(in dollar value) of all time.

Jim
  • That is impressive. Congrats. I tell myself to take the same approach of trading the 8.5's and 9's and being satisfied with the 8's. This gives me inspiration to follow through. - Kevin
    What was the toughest for me is trading a pop 1 T206 Joe Tinker psa 9--but it did allow me to complete my 33 Goudey Sport Kings set in 8 or better.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good deal for both of you. You have additional cards and he increased the quality of his set. Is the difference in quality between the PSA 8s and 8.5s readily evident? Any chance the 8s you received could be bump worthy? If any are you really made a good deal.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Great Trade.

now, any shot of the 8's you got back going in for a bump?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I think whoever traded with you was drunk at the time.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
    Now that would be the grand slam home run but no--none appear to meet the centering requirements of an 8.5
  • PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with you on trading 8.5s Jim. Many would argue against quanity vs. quality, but I have traded or sold several 8.5s for a premium over 8s and used the profit to grow my collection. I think it was last year that I sold a 1971 Seaver PSA 8.5 on Ebay for about $550 and turned around and bought five 1959 PSA 9s for my 1959 set. The Seaver is tough to get in high grade but for since I have a limited budget for cards and I have the Seaver in PSA 7, it give me a chance to make a purchase that nomally I wouldn't. The debate is probably what will the 1971 Seaver 8.5 be worth in the future vs. the five 1959 PSA 9s? Maybe I'll come out ahead and maybe not, but I enjoy set collecting and I normally sell to build my sets in the grades I want.

• << <i>I have to agree with you on trading 8.5s Jim. Many would argue against quanity vs. quality, but I have traded or sold several 8.5s for a premium over 8s and used the profit to grow my collection. I think it was last year that I sold a 1971 Seaver PSA 8.5 on Ebay for about $550 and turned around and bought five 1959 PSA 9s for my 1959 set. The Seaver is tough to get in high grade but for since I have a limited budget for cards and I have the Seaver in PSA 7, it give me a chance to make a purchase that nomally I wouldn't. The debate is probably what will the 1971 Seaver 8.5 be worth in the future vs. the five 1959 PSA 9s? Maybe I'll come out ahead and maybe not, but I enjoy set collecting and I normally sell to build my sets in the grades I want. >>

i totally agree with you and would do the same thing.

i realize that there is a new market for 8.5's, but lets be honest, an 8.5 one day, could very well be a 7.5 on another day, as its all so subjective.

"Buy the card, not the grade" is such a true motto
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know Harry Frazee was still around or had a 53 Bowman set registered.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Great trade, Jim. Congrats on something that both of you view as a Win. Cheers
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    It sure looks like a great deal and you are by far and away a much more experienced collector than I, but you said you may have sent in 1000's to get those bumps. That had to have cost a fortune.
    PackManInNC
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Jim , seems like it was a good deal for both of you , and in the end that is what matters most.

I'm not quite in your league as far as the values of my collection . The sets that I do have , are all , for the most part , very high graded. I've traded some cards from some of my sets to further the quality of the sets that I'm hot on. At times , I've looked back and said , I'm not sure if I got burned or not. In the end , I got the cards I really wanted.

By the way , I'm looking at the 3rd week in May 9 ( graduation at Westpoint ) and 4th week in June ( his wedding ), for the big trip north. Can't wait to see you .-- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Jim, bet you wish you never mentioned this over at net 54 though.

Good for you.
    Sonny,

Likewise. Excluding possible business travel during the weem I should be home then. Look forward to seeing you.

WinPitcher,

I figured it would get that kind of response.

Mexpo,

Just like all submitters pay different prices for grading, resubmitters pay different prices too. Cost to me is very minimal and more than covered by far by my bumps.

Jim

• recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Wrong thread sorry.
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    tom, I think you posted that in the wrong thread.......But

Nice card!

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Love deals like this Jim. I think it ends up being a win win for both parties when a trade like this is done. Congrats!!!

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Congrats Jim, bet you wish you never mentioned this over at net 54 though. >>

First point - great trade Jim!! These kind of win/wins remind me of old-school shoebox trading when we were kids.

Second - that net54 thread was great...
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
    Thanks guys. I have always been reactive when it comes to doing these kind of trades. I am thinking of trying to be proactive. For example I believe I have a pop 1 psa 9 in 1952 Topps--I wonder how many holes I could fill in the set with that one?

The net 54 thread is not over yet. One needs to look at it in the context of that there are a lot of old-time collectors on the board who have always hated graded cards and nothing makes them happier than thinking a significant number of graded cards have slipped through the cracks into holders which I take issue with. Anyway, I enjoy tweeking them image
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys. I have always been reactive when it comes to doing these kind of trades. I am thinking of trying to be proactive. For example I believe I have a pop 1 psa 9 in 1952 Topps--I wonder how many holes I could fill in the set with that one?

The net 54 thread is not over yet. One needs to look at it in the context of that there are a lot of old-time collectors on the board who have always hated graded cards and nothing makes them happier than thinking a significant number of graded cards have slipped through the cracks into holders which I take issue with. Anyway, I enjoy tweeking them image >>

Agreed; I think the majority of message board posters have agendas that are fairly easy to see. But that's part of the fun.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq