Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Info needed: 1873 Cincinnati Industrial Expo medal

Im curious if anyone has seen or owned one of these? The design really appeals to me and I'd like to find a nice piece. Is anyone aware of any slabbed examples?

I searched through ebay and Heritage archives with little success.

Here are pics from a recent auction of a beat holed piece:
1873 Cincinnati Industrial Expo on eBay
I'd love to get any info anyone has - including pricing.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a whole bunch of different varieties, like 10-20 of them. Very few of them are rare enough to slab. I had one in copper (a different variety than the one in that eBay listing) with really pretty toning that I slabbed just because of the color. I think I got $60 for it, in the slab. If you want me to forward your interest to the dealer I sold it to, send me your email in a PM. I don't know if he still has it, I don't know if he's looking to sell it, but I do know that there's no harm in your asking, if it's something you'd be interested in.
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the response!

It seems like they made a different medal for each of the many expositions in Cincinnati at the time, but I'm looking for this exact year/design because of the reverse promoting the recently created Roebling Bridge - the first suspension bridge (in the US?) and the model for the Brooklyn Bridge years later.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, can't help with that one, sorry.
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    BUMP - I thought I'd see if anyone might have some information on this specific issue?

I'd love to find a nice slabbed example although it seems that any year for the theme is pretty uncommon and lower grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file