Home Sports Talk
Options

Los Angeles moving closer to getting an NFL Team

bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
Anyone else in Los Angeles tired of not having a team in LA?

I grew up watching the Rams as a kid with my father and we also enjoyed having the Raiders too. Its been too long not having a team out here.

AEG CEO and President Tim Leiweke and his team have put together a great plan that seems to be getting some steam.

Farmers Insurance will be giving $700 million for the naming rights of a stadium and Leiweke says they can build a stadium without using any tax payers dollars.

Leiweke and his team say it will still be 4 more years without football in LA, but they are confident we will get a team.

I would think there are several team owners in the NFL who would wait in line for the $$$$$$$$$'s to come to Los Angeles if the NFL gives LA the OK. I feel bad for the fans of another team if it happens, but its all about money in today's world.

See link, linky

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I think it's good news. I still root for the Ram's as they were the team of my youth. Sad for kids growing up in LA today with no professional team to root for... well, other than $C of course.
  • Options
    Last night on NFL network they had the full broadcast of the 1979 steelers vs rams super bowl. Swann and Stallworth sure were great athletes. Amazing catches and outstanding performance from Bradshaw.
  • Options
    Last night on NFL network they had the full broadcast of the 1979 steelers vs rams super bowl. Swann and Stallworth sure were great athletes. Amazing catches and outstanding performance from Bradshaw.

Darn it! The Rams had some good teams back then but couldn't quite win the big games. I remember that Super Bowl well. Bummer.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Show of hands.... how many KNEW this would somehow turn into a Bradshaw thread??image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A prime candidate for an NFL franchise to relocate to LA is none other than the Oakland Raiders.

However, for this to make any sense at all, Al Davis would have to be out of the picture and out of control of the Raiders [via his death or his mental incapacity]. He is 81 years old if I recall correctly. Physically he is frail. Mentally, he is still "in the game". It would not surprise me to see Al Davis pass away at his desk.

If Al Davis does bow out of the picture over the next 2-3 years and control of the Raiders passes to other persons who desire to change the way the team does business [put in a team of professional managers to run the non football operations and hire a GM and coach to run football operations with full decision making authority] and who desire to get out of Oakland, the timing may be good for a relocation of the franchise to LA.

If Al Davis does not bow out, even if he decides he wants to leave Oakland, I can not imagine LA wanting to take the Raiders back with Al Davis at the helm.

The San Diego Chargers would also be a logical choice to move to LA, however I suspect that San Diego would put up a big fight. I am partial to the Chargers, Broncos and Chiefs remaining in San Diego, Denver and Kansas City since they are original AFL franchises with a long, stable and successful history in their host cities. Having any of these three teams move would be as traumatic as having the Bears, Packers, or Steelers move from Chicago, Green Bay or Pittsburg.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing it will either be JAX or MIN. However, wouldn't be surprised if Bad Adams told TEN to eff off and move. It wouldn't be the first time...

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to know the insurance industry is struggling so much that a company can spend $700M on NAMING RIGHTS. Gimme a break.

Tabe
  • Options
    Jacksonville would be the most logical choice to me, if there is a logical choice at all. They are one of the newer teams with very little history. Getting a Jags ticket is not difficult at all. They occasionally sell out, but only if the team is in first place and they are playing the Pats or Colts or Steelers calibre opponents. The team really doesn't have a huge following in the area. If they left it wouldn't be that big of a deal. The Bucs and Dolphins are still within a reasonable drive for a game. I would rather see that than the Vikings. Minnesota fans do support the Vikings. I would hate to see them get screwed over. Although, honestly, I'd rather see everyone stay put and just let the Los Angeles area wait for an expansion team, or nothing at all, rather than take someone else's team (which is what Los Angeles has almost always done in the past - Lakers, Rams, Raiders, Clippers, Dodgers).
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Nice to know the insurance industry is struggling so much that a company can spend $700M on NAMING RIGHTS. Gimme a break.

It's just advertising. They are a big company and feel that is a good expenditure of their advertising dollars. It's not like they are spending $700m just for the heck of it. I imagine it's a very long term deal. Maybe 20 or 30 years!? Apparently the adveriting on sports venues is a smart move because all the big companies are doing it. Also, unrelated, we take pride in SacTown as Arco Arena (soon to be Power Balance Pavillion) was on of the first naming rights deals. Not sure I will ever be able to call it Power Balance Pavillion.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice to know the insurance industry is struggling so much that a company can spend $700M on NAMING RIGHTS. Gimme a break.

Tabe >>

I wish they were struggling so bad that when they sent a check to fix a dented fender the check bounced.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most popular professional sport in America and 2nd largest city in America - Most of us know the history of the team, but still hard to believe no NFL team in the LA area for all these years now.

Of course California lately has been so business unfriendly, and behind the scenes that likely has a lot to do with it, but if California and the LA area leaders smarten up, they'll find a way to get this done.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    If it were to be a new team, wouldn't scheduling be a nightmare with an odd number of teams? Personally, I think the NFL should move the Packer franchise image
  • Options
    With the politics of California and of Los Angeles being what it is [very, very, crazy], it would not surprise me to see an ANTI NFL mindset in many segments of the political powerbase. The NFL (along with the military) is the posterchild of male agressiveness, violence, machismo, competitiveness and darwinian survival of the fittest. Those traits are looked down upon by many segments of society. California and LA are also, as mentioned above, ANTI BUSINESS to the extreme.

If an NFL franchise does try to come into LA, you can bet that the upfront costs [i.e. extortion] imposed by government at all levels will be very expensive. Of course, it may never get to the point where a team can make the move and be subjected to paying the costs if the forces that would oppose a team moving to LA (NIMBY's who complain about parking and traffic problems and pollution; environmentalists who determine that the land where the proposed stadium is to be built is the only place in the world where you can find an endangered slug and that you thus can not destroy its habitat; Indian rights advocates who claim the site for the new stadium is a sacred indian burial ground and thus off limits to development; etc.) prevail.

I will believe it when I see it, since California is simply nuts and is heading down a steep slope that ends in a cliff overlooking financial ruin and the social strife that comes with it.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Does the NFL add or just relocate a team?
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Go Vikings! At least I'd finally be put out of my misery and the know that we in Minnesota didn't buy another stadium for some owner.

Truthfully I don't see it happening. LA will get an expansion team at some point and all the current owners can divide up that $500M fee.
  • Options

<< <i>Does the NFL add or just relocate a team? >>

I've been hearing multiple reports in Los Angeles that the Patriots owner wants to be in the mix of teams interested in coming to LA. image
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    There's a reason LA hasn't had a team for almost 20 years - they will never sell the place out. So the largest TV market won't even get to watch the home team play. No offense to the few die-hard LA sports fans on this board, but LA is the weakest large market sports town by far. There is no close second.

The league has done fine with no LA football team, I don't see the overwhelming need to add or relocate one there.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With the politics of California and of Los Angeles being what it is [very, very, crazy], it would not surprise me to see an ANTI NFL mindset in many segments of the political powerbase. The NFL (along with the military) is the posterchild of male agressiveness, violence, machismo, competitiveness and darwinian survival of the fittest. Those traits are looked down upon by many segments of society. California and LA are also, as mentioned above, ANTI BUSINESS to the extreme.

If an NFL franchise does try to come into LA, you can bet that the upfront costs [i.e. extortion] imposed by government at all levels will be very expensive. Of course, it may never get to the point where a team can make the move and be subjected to paying the costs if the forces that would oppose a team moving to LA (NIMBY's who complain about parking and traffic problems and pollution; environmentalists who determine that the land where the proposed stadium is to be built is the only place in the world where you can find an endangered slug and that you thus can not destroy its habitat; Indian rights advocates who claim the site for the new stadium is a sacred indian burial ground and thus off limits to development; etc.) prevail.

I will believe it when I see it, since California is simply nuts and is heading down a steep slope that ends in a cliff overlooking financial ruin and the social strife that comes with it. >>

+1

Well said.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    The stadium sponsorship deal with Farmers is 30 years.
  • Options
    I lived and worked in So. Cal. for about 5 years.

The college and pro sports teams in So. Cal. have loyal followings, but the general population is not fanatical about these teams like fans in other parts of the country [i.e. SEC football in the South; Packers's and Steelers's fans in Wisconson and Pennsylvania, college basketball fans in Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, etc.]. The attitude is very casual in So. Cal. Too many other things to do are available and they compete for the attention and dollars of people with leisure time. Maybe it is connected to the great weather So. Cal. has throughout the year. It could be that an NFL team in LA will never have die hard fans like the Steelers and Packers, etc.
  • Options

<< <i>I lived and worked in So. Cal. for about 5 years.

The college and pro sports teams in So. Cal. have loyal followings, but the general population is not fanatical about these teams like fans in other parts of the country [i.e. SEC football in the South; Packers's and Steelers's fans in Wisconson and Pennsylvania, college basketball fans in Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, etc.]. The attitude is very casual in So. Cal. Too many other things to do are available and they compete for the attention and dollars of people with leisure time. Maybe it is connected to the great weather So. Cal. has throughout the year. It could be that an NFL team in LA will never have die hard fans like the Steelers and Packers, etc. >>

I totally disagree about fans not being hardcore or die hard.

I live in the South Bay area and frequent areas of Redondo Beach, San Pedro, Rancho Palos Verdes, Lomita, and Torrance....I can tell you that the Raiders Nation is strong down there. Houses in those cities have Raiders banners and I see people wearing Raiders apparel everywhere I go, every day of the week...And the Raiders flat out suck!!!!!! Just think what would happen if LA had a quality team.

The same areas I mentioned are also hardcore USC areas...I see people wearing SC apparel every day not to mention how many homes I see with USC and Raiders banners and such. Also, I work in the movies and I can't believe how many people I run into at the different movie studios that are so serious about USC, a UCLA fan like myself has to be very careful when making fun of the current USC NCAA sanctions.

Dodgers and Lakers....I see banners, stickers on cars and people wearing hats and apparel everywhere.

Take a look at the total attendance for Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, USC Football, UCLA Football, Kings, and Ducks events for every season...I bet you Los Angeles sports venues surpasses most cities on America.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
    Georgia Frontiere used her greed to play the city of Anaheim and LA against the incredible monetary offers from the City of St Louis. She left with the Rams there for the instant money. The city of Anaheim and LA supported the Rams and I'm sure the Rosenbloom family would have kept the Rams in LA if Georgia wasn't in the picture.

The Raiders did well in LA, but Al Davis was greedy and was always wanting to play cities against each other for instant money.

Los Angeles had 2 terrible & greedy owners that didn't care about NFL Football in LA, and left for money.

Hopefully LA gets another chance in 2015 or in the future.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in the South Bay area and frequent areas of Redondo Beach, San Pedro, Rancho Palos Verdes, Lomita, and Torrance....I can tell you that the Raiders Nation is strong down there. Houses in those cities have Raiders banners and I see people wearing Raiders apparel everywhere I go, every day of the week...And the Raiders flat out suck!!!!!! Just think what would happen if LA had a quality team

Wearing team colors or apparel doesn't necessarily mean you are going to financially support a club, though, or even bother coming to any games. Wearing Raiders colors may be very popular, but that's more of a fashion statement than anything else. Raiders colors are also very popular in urban areas, even outside LA. I think if there were truly any real support or demand for an NFL franchise in LA, there'd be one already.

Does anyone even arrive to a Dodgers game before the third inning and/or stay past the seventh? image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.