Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

POST COINS THAT YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR

Post the coins that when you first saw them, your heart beat faster, a love & passion, blood pressure moved - Tell your story........

WHEN THIS COIN WAS TO BE SOLD AT AUCTION - IT SET A PASSION INSIDE OF ME - I TOOK A LOAN AGAINST MY HOME - I MADE PICTURES TO HANG ON THE WALL, I could not belive it was a coin of the the early 1stCent, it was like an Art Nevaux portrait. I WAS IN LOVE WITH A COIN. Later I found it was the cover coin of a book "WOMEN OF THE CAESARS" The lives and Portraits on Coins. GIORGIO GIACOSA

Sestertius 37-41, Æ AGRIPPINA M F MAT C CAESARIS AVGVSTI
Draped bust r., hair falling
This coin is the cover coin of the Female Caesars by Jacozi A coin of incredible detail & condition from the ring holding the reigns of the donkeys to a portrait that launched a "love" to aquire the coin. Very few coins of this period exist in such a natural condition.
The Rev. S P Q R / MEMORIAE / AGRIPPINAE Carpentum drawn l. by two mules; the cover supported by standing figures at the corners with ornamented side. Agrippina Senior, one of the most tragically unfortunate women of Roman history. Agrippina was destined to achieve the highest possible status that did not happen. In 29AD she deprived her of freedom, and in 33AD of life itself. This sestertii dedicated to Agrippina was produced by her son Caligula, The inscription, SPQR MEMORIAE AGRIPPINAE, is itself dedicatory from
the Senate and the Roman people to the memory o f Agrippina.

A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an Ancient Studies major in college, back in the 1975-76 academic year, one of the two papers I had to produce was an analysis of the the early imperial women and their power. I cannot remember precisely what I wrote, but if what I remember is correct, I would not waste my sympathies on Agrippina. She ruthlessly sought power and ruthlessly exercised it. Nero was her true son.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    There were actually two Agrippinas - the first was married to Germanicus, and was the mother of both Caligula and the second Agrippina, who were brother and sister. The second Agrippina, or 'Agrippina the Younger' was the mother of Nero. The first appears in a much more positive light in most ancient sources - they paint her as a wronged woman who stands up against her husband's supposed murderer, Piso, and Piso's master, the then reigning emperor Tiberius.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an awesome sestertius.

I share your passion for Roman coins. I only just got back into it. Here's my "12 Caesars" set, such as it is for the moment.

Julius Caesar

Tiberius

Otho

Vespasian

Domitian

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I really enjoy the Silver Britannia series. I'm most fond of the early Nathan designs, but I continue to add to my complete MS69/70 set as finances permit. I'd love to put together a proof set.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Not my most expensive coin, but I adore this design, when this one came up for sale I was prepared to pay whatever it cost, luckily for me it didn't go very high as ost don't seem to like the toning:

And one of the Swiss Canton pieces I really love for the design:

• Options
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    FRANCE Royal Issues Jean II, 'Le Bon' 1350-1364

AV Mouton d'Or 4.60g. 30mm. Struck 1355

Nimbate 'Agnus Dei' ( Lamb of God ) standing left before cross with pendant; IOH-REX in exergue

+AGN. DEI. QVI. TOLL. PECA. MUDI. MISERERE. NOB

Compound cross fleuronee, quartered with fleurs-de-lys, all within polylobe

XPE: VINCIT: XPE: REGNAT: XPE: IMPERAT

Duplessy 291: Ciani 354: Friedberg 280

EDU d'Ore 1422

Design:
    OBVERSE: Two shields side by side, bearing the arms of France (left) and England (right). Behind the shields the Virgin Mary on the left, a nimbus around her head and her left hand pointing to a scroll, and the Angel Gabriel on the right, his wings arching above his head, his left hand pointing to the scroll, between them the word “AVE” written upwards on a scroll, surmounted by five sun’s rays. Legend: ♛hEHRICVS: DEI:GRA:FRACORV:Z:AGLIE:REX [Henry by the grace of God, King of France and England] ~ REVERSE: In the middle of the field is a cross calvary. Below is the letter, “h”. To the left is a fleur de lis and to the right a leopard. The whole is within a circle of ten arches with fleur de lis at the angles. Legend: ♛XPC✩VINCIT✩XPC✩REGHAT✩ XPC✩IMPERAT [Christ Overcomes, Christ Reigns, Christ Orders]. The obverse & reverse legends are punctuated by two superimposed beaded rings.
    Mint: Paris
    Mintage: Unknown
    References: Fr. 18 & 301 / Elias 264 /Dy.443 A / C.909
    Specifications: Diameter – 26.0mm
    Weight – 3.480 g. @ 1.000 Gold = .112 oz AGW
    Notes:
    - King Henri VI was the King of England and France during this period, France was in an era of prosperity and economic development; at the same time experiencing an extreme enlightenment of arts, literature and science.
    - The crown in the legends denoted the mint as Paris. The Paris mint is not as commonly found as those from the the Rouen (leopard) and Saint Lo (fleur-de-lis) mints. In total this type gold coin was minted at 9 different mints throughout France.
    - This coin is of the second issue of the salute under Henri VI. It was issued on September 6,1423. This type coin was produced in great quantities and is one of the most common of the Anglo-Gallic issues.

imageimage
  • Options
    I like this 1787 shilling reverse as much as any coin I have...

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Greece 1833-A 5 drachmai NGC MS65 (looks like a SP)

imageimage

Egypt 1904-H 20 Qirsh NGC MS66 (that too looks like a SP)

imageimage
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

Love the 1887 Jubilee coins
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's Garneteye's coin in something bigger than thumbnail size. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.