Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

There is still silver out there. Roll Searching Results

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
For those people not taking notes on my life, I mark the rejects from half dollar roll searching so I can get a feel of when I've spent the vaults.

I searched 4 boxes over the weekend.

The first 3 boxes were all but clean of marked coins except for 4 or 5 coins marked by someone else (same spot, same black marker)

I pulled the first roll from the last box and it had many coins that I marked already.

In the same roll was also a 40% silver coin.

About 1/3 of the box was marked by me. However, the box yielded the most silver of the 4. 1 90% and 7 40%.

There's still silver out there. Keep searching.

===

4 box totals: 3 64's & 1 1941 Walker & 15 40%, plus a magician's coin dated 1966 that I don't think is silver. It weighs the same as my 1971 dated magician's coin.

The best find was an high AU 1979 with lots of original luster left, although it had a "wheat" colored golden tone to it. Great find for the album. I also found a pretty decent XF-AU 88D (with some marks I don't like, but better than the beaten dogs I generaly see.)

Still finding lots of clashed dies from the mid to late 90's. Check that neck! 1996 and 1998 seem to be good years for finding them.
Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes there is. I once talked my bank into getting me $10,000 worth of Halves. I did OK, but what really killed me is about half the rolls were one coin short. 1,000 $10 rolls and so I was shoreted around $200 when I sent them all back (yes I accounted for the Silver). And I had no recourse with the bank.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    I think I was only 2 short on this run.

I once received a box that had some quarters and small dollars mixed in. I netted positive on it due to the dollars luckily.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got 4 rolls at Chase last week. Normally rolls of halves are not to be found here. Anyway in the last roll there was one 40%er.

Bruce
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    In a box I searched last month I found 1 Franklin Half, and 9 40% halves. Also found a holed 1990!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭
    I ordered a box and it will be in tomorrow. Will report back once my son goes through it.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options

<< <i>I ordered a box and it will be in tomorrow. Will report back once my son goes through it. >>

Where are you guys getting these boxes? Everytime I go to the bank - they have no halves in...
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    a thread on searching FWIW

and here

good luck i think it is fun
    it was easier and cheap buying my 40% years ago
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I gave up searching rolls of halves a couple of years ago, but found silver fairly consistently--just not in the numbers that made it worthwhile. Nickels were my favorite rolls to search through, but even those have gotten to be slim pickins the last couple of years. I do like hearing success stories though!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    I gave up looking at halves last year, after about $500, I got nada-zip.

Bob

At least I never came up short though, all rolls were full.
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options

<< <i>I just got a $500 half box yesterday...total score was 3 40 percenters, two in one roll, a phillapines peso and a no cash value token. Finding wrappers however has proved to be a challenge. I'm not sure if it worth it or not. >>

you gotta find a bank to return them with a change counting machine.

I couldn't imagine re-wrapping a box of the suckers.

I've had some zero boxes. But, silver is still out there, and it's lots of fun to find one. Keep searching

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought 26 rolls from US Bank last week - the 23 roll was 40%. Not even a single in the other 25. Still not bad.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I used to go through $100 or so at a time of nickels, which I would pick up at one bank, then return via the free coinstar at a different bank. I think I used to end up being shorted $1-3 in the machine each time, which was annoying, but worth it to me for the fun of searching coins without having to reroll them. As I recall, they didn't take halves in the machine.

My best coin found in a nickel roll:

Here are the results of my search of $300 in halves (I cashed out an educational IRA and asked for the proceeds in halves - lol).

My half dollar search
  • Options
    I'd kill to find a V or Buff in a nickel box.

The best I've gotten from nickel boxes were war nickels.

and I agree with you, I seem to enjoy the nickel boxes the most.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a roll search yesterday of $100 & it yielded unc rolls of 71 d & 76 d with some rainbow toning on a few. image
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I actually think nickels are the last frontier of building a really cool collection from circulation/rolls. Over a two-year period (about $2K in nickels), I was able to fill all but about a dozen holes, including 7 of the Wartime dates. Got several dateless buffs, and 1938s and 39s (not "S"s), but never a V nickel. Great score there!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Part of my job as a coin processor for an armored car company was to crack whatever rolled coin we received during the week. As I was cracking a full bag of rolled nickels, I found an entire roll of V's. I was shocked to say the least, but excited to add a whole roll of V nickels to my collection.
  • Options
    JuanJuan Posts: 71 ✭✭
    I went to my bank and they said they couldn't order halves for me?? Then I went to my credit union and got the same response. Must be my dishonest looks??
    oklahomakid
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I went to my bank and they said they couldn't order halves for me?? Then I went to my credit union and got the same response. Must be my dishonest looks?? >>

Don't feel bad... I've asked both my banks every time I go in there - sometimes twice a week - and not only don't they have any half-dollar rolls, they don't - and WON'T - order them...

"Nobody wants them" I'm told...

I'll keep asking, but in my neck of the woods, methinks the pattern's set...

By the way, I think you could save a lot of time searching rolls if you were buying so few that you could weigh them with a DigiWeigh... if the roll weighs more than about 226 grams, you might have some silver in that roll!!

Edited to announce "Nevermind"... this scale is too limited to measure... but something more comprehensive might work, eh?
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file