Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Theme: Jehovah Talers

This will be a very slow, long journey - accumulating Talers depicting God's name Jehovah (YHWE in Hebrew).

Some background - Three events greatly influenced the course of human history – the creation of a faith centered on One God, the emergence from the Dark Ages into a renaissance of enlightenment in the 16th century, and the religious wars in which almost half the population of Europe died 100 years later. These shared a common denominator: that God attended the constant appeals for protection and solace, in their lives, by royalty and citizens of the time.

The appreciation of this faith was the use of the Name of God, in Hebrew, considered the language of God, on coins and medals of the middle ages.

This is my first of this type. Some doubling on the lettering and the obverse, yet still maintains the uniqueness of this piece in my view. Only 700 minted (Thanks Brent!)

1671 Saxe-Gotha, Ernst the Pious (1640-1675) Reichstaler. DAV-7451.
Theme: Marriage Ernst's son Bernhard Saxe-Meiningen, Marie Hedwig of Hesse-Darmstadt.

Obverse: Bride and groom joined hands. Dove under Jehovah in Hebrew Letters with rays descending on wedding couple.
Reverse: Twelve line inscription detailing the marriage of his son Bernhard and Maria Hedwig of Hesse-Darmstadt.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    VERY cool coin!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, it's always fun to find a new area to spend some money on. image
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Zohar - I like the theme and background. I look forward to seeing this subset of your collection grow.
  • Options

Very cool coin. The same theme that I contemplated some 25 years ago. Sadly, I passed to concentrate on my Palestine Mandate. I wish you the best Zohar,on your endeavor! It is a noble one!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>VERY cool coin! >>

Very cool indeed!image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zohar - I like the theme and background. I look forward to seeing this subset of your collection grow.

yup I agree - I actually like the theme alot, and many times considering to commence - everytime I looked into this venture I realize how expensive these are - many are very rare and there are some fab pieces in gold also.... hence my draggingimage

Zohar there is on the web somewhere a listing with photos of many of the pcs known - I forgot what sight and unsure if its a "kosher" site altogether image

Good luck, and I'll be watching too.
  • Options

Nice!! This is one set that I'll have to enjoy from the sidelines though. BTW, what size is this one?
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. 42mm.

See KM description as well - image