Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Talk about taking Free Shipping to a new low on eBay

Still in shock... can't fathom it... maybe it's not that uncommon, but it's never happened to me before... boggles my mind!

Seriously, is offering free shipping that important to your selling interests... that it's worth showing how truly cheap you really are???

PSA GEM MT 10 1987 Walter Payton delivered to me today... USPS and NO delivery confirmation... in a PWE !!!!

Unbelievable

Okay, now I feel better image

Comments

• Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    But they still get 5 stars for shipping!
    Hook'em
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Did it arrive safe?
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I received a card in a PWE (even if it arrived safely), I would not purchase another from that seller.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did it arrive safe? >>

Isn't that a bit like saying a guy is a safe driver if he runs a red light at 90 mph but manages to not get in a wreck or hit anybody?

Tabe
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Its ebays fault for offering incentives for free shipping. If ebay would just let people sell and stay out of their business and quit monkeying with the FB system and the stars and the fees, then everything would come out in the wash. Its comparable to someone who is sick and needs to throw up, but he keeps getting fed pepto bismol, he wont feel better until they stop with the pepto and let him throw up. (<---Not my analogy, Dave Ramsey's when it comes to the economy)
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA GEM MT 10 1987 Walter Payton delivered to me today... USPS and NO delivery confirmation... in a PWE !!!! >>

That seller is just setting himself up for disaster. Not only is the chance of the card being damaged increased, but it also allows for the buyer to claim he never received it.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

Isn't that a bit like saying a guy is a safe driver if he runs a red light at 90 mph but manages to not get in a wreck or hit anybody?

Tabe >>

no. i'd say it's more like cheating on your wife, but getting back in bed before 6am when the alarm goes off.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is why I stopped playing the "free shipping" game. For most cards it doesn't make a difference as long as you charge a fair rate. I would prefer to have buyers that appreciate solid packaging that ones that want free shipping.
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    My father once told me, 'son, you get what you pay for'

Tabe, lol NO.

Good for you.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Tabe >>

Just curious -- doesn't make it right.
  • Options
    Ah quit your crying he used a new PWE, myself when I offer free shipping on a PSA card I just tape the address & the postage stamps to the slab, New PWE aren't cheap you know! image

The insanity never stops on ebay, I once received a Gartlan Aikman autographed plate in the original box with postage all over the box, yep no double box just the gartlan box with postage on it,box was crushed, but at least the plate wasn't broken. No DC,no insurance oh forgot to mention not enough postage, so postage due another 2+dollars out of pocket. Left No feedback at all because the seller wouldn't reimburse me the 2+ dollars, but I was new to ebay then if it happened today well roll out the big NEG. image
  • Options
    Feebay is very stupid to encourage free shipping. They should strongly encourage sellers to charge actual shipping with a very small handling fee (no more than $1 plus insurance) and require discounted combined shipping for multiple items.

They're failing to recognize the first rule of retail - GET THE SUCKERS INSIDE THE STORE.

Sellers who offer combined shipping discounts have an advantage, because buyers often look at their other items to see how much shipping cost they can save. Often, they buy stuff they wouldn't have otherwise bought. Even if they just bid on an extra auction or two and don't win, it's still extra bidding action that can drive up the price of additional items in a totally fair and legitimate way.

When a seller offers free shipping, the buyer has no incentive to buy more than one item at a time, because they can always go back a few days later and get that second item for the same total price. Effectively, offering free shipping is similar to a seller charging for shipping and being unwilling to combine multiple items.