Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA/DNA Experts -- Please Grade this Terry Sawchuk Auto

I won this the other night and am considering sending it in to PSA for the autograph grade. I was looking through Doran's recent sub and can't figure why some get 9s and others 10s.

So, for those with experience using PSA/DNA, what do you think this Sawchuk would grade?

Also, it measures approximately 5 1/2 " X 8" -- is there a holder for this?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Nice piece!

I've seen nice Sawchuk sigs where you can make out every letter and there are no breaks in the signature so I kinda doubt this will get a better autograph grade than a 7 or 8.

Like you said though, it seems that the grades are rather arbitrary at times.
  • Options
    the sig does look a little light... I'd guess this would grade out to around a 7. Personally I'd just have it authenticated without the grade.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice piece!

I've seen nice Sawchuk sigs where you can make out every letter and there are no breaks in the signature so I kinda doubt this will get a better autograph grade than a 7 or 8.

Like you said though, it seems that the grades are rather arbitrary at times. >>

Moose,

This is just actually how Sawchuk signed in the mid to late 1950s. I don't know if PSA/DNA takes that into account, I am guessing not. I think the grade is more based on eye appeal and overall strength of the autograph. So overall I agree, 7 or 8 I would think.
    Thanks
    Sean

Always Looking for vintage hockey autographs

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    I was watching that auction. Nice pickup. I'm surprised Capital Sports Cards didn't have it authenticated going in.

In case I didn't say it: Really nice pickup!
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was watching that auction. Nice pickup. I'm surprised Capital Sports Cards didn't have it authenticated going in.

In case I didn't say it: Really nice pickup! >>

Thank you! Sawchuk's autograph is my "white whale" of hockey autos. Always wanted one on a card, photo, or puck but not one scribbled in a program or index card -- so when this popped up I just had to have it.

An index card sold for $611 the other night with PSA/DNA -- I personally don't know of any other sales with authentication but I imagine that being a Beehive photo/card it could bring slightly more than the index card if I ever had to part with it.

Also, I was considering removing the back before sending it to PSA but with the other three autos date it to the 1959 Red Wings season as that was the only year they all were on the same roster.

Thanks for everyone's advice on the auto grade. If I can do a minumum grade I'll send it in at "PSA 8" if they go lower then authentication is where I'll leave it.