Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the latest date you could expect a circulating coin to be worn down to a grade of ..........

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
................................... G-4 or lower.

The coin would have to be one which has worn down to a G-4 or lower grade solely from being passed aroudn in circulation [no pocket pieces, or other coin which has been intentionally worn down].

Does not matter if the coin is slabbed or raw.

I think the coin would have to be dated in the 1950's or earlier. I do not recall seeing any Memorial Lincolns [even those from 1959-1964] worn down to G-4, nor do I recall seeing any Jefferson nickels dated after 1959 that have been worn down to G-4, nor do I recall any 90% silver, or clad dimes, quarters or half dollars dated after 1959 that have been worn down to G-4.

Most coins from the 1950's and 1940's also are unlikely to be worn down to G-4.

Comments

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think coins like that circulate any longer. I doubt any Jeff nickel is out there in 4, and forget about clad...

but I do remember in the mid 60s pennies from the twenties were usually in that grade. There were silver quarters from the thirties all over in 4 or so.

today if a penny from the mid thirties turns up its like a 4 or so.
    Interesting question..;.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1940-1948 time period.

I've seen plenty of fairly slick looking war nickels (softer alloy?) and a few wheaties from that period in the VG range at least.

G4 takes a while for cents since they really don't circulate as much anymore. They kind of wallow in the "take a penny" cups near registers.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically a lot of the early clad was struck so poorly that it passed straight from
    Unc to AG since the lettering was worn down into the rim after the luster was broken.
    This applies to as much as about 95% of some issues like the 1966 quarter.

A true G4 doesn't really exist in circulation any longer since these are coins that just
    pass back and forth between one person's stash and another. In theory 1940's era
    nickels circulate a little and a few of them are close to G4.

The range in grade of most freely circulating coins is fairly narrow and the the cent and
    nickel can have a much wider range but these ranges do not include G4.

Heavily worn coins haven't circulated freely since the last of the silver was removed in
    1969. People just yanked anything that looked old like dateless buffalos and any whea-
    tie.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file