Home Sports Talk

The NFL Pro Bowl.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
Your thoughts about yesterday's game and the Pro Bowl in general.

For some reason I just can not get excited about an NFL All Star game. It does not have the attraction that the Baseball, NBA and Hockey All Star games have. Those events happen in the middle of the regular season. The Pro Bowl is like your strange cousin who just does not fit in with the family.

Comments

• That attempt at a football game yesterday was pathetic. I've seen harder hits in the lingerie bowl - to go along with better action!!!imageimage
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A game which really should not be played.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    It has become a joke
  • Its the only pro all-star game i watch in any sports. I lost interest in the MLB all-star game.

I'm glad to see it back in Hawaii, but its better played after the super bowl.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<but its better played after the super bowl>>>

Why is that? The ratings the game has gotten the last 2 years are in clear conflict with that statement. Don't tell me that getting robbed of seeing the Super Bowl participants in the game ruins it for you.

All-star games in all sports are a joke, and I never watch any of them. With the exception of baseball, none of them even resemble the sport as its played during the regular season.

<< <i>Its the only pro all-star game i watch in any sports. I lost interest in the MLB all-star game.

I'm glad to see it back in Hawaii, but its better played after the super bowl. >>

The MLB game is the best all star game going. It is the only one that the players take serious.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<The MLB game is the best all star game going. It is the only one that the players take serious. >>>

I agree with the first statement, but not necessarily the second. Despite the utterly ridiculous and non-sensical "it means something" aspect of the WS home-field advantage to the winner, I don't think they take it any more serious than the other sports. It just looks like they do because there is no way to dog it like there is in football, basketball, and hockey, where defense is an afterthought.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Did they already play the Pro Bowl?

Guess I missed it - I was too busy defragmenting my hard drive.
    Capecards
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    You can play 100% in a baseball all star game and not get hurt. In FB that is a very real possibility. Imagine a carear ending injury in a game that didn't matter.

Hockey all star game is similar....rule are different and its a shot fest.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

• << <i><<<but its better played after the super bowl>>>

Why is that? The ratings the game has gotten the last 2 years are in clear conflict with that statement. Don't tell me that getting robbed of seeing the Super Bowl participants in the game ruins it for you.

All-star games in all sports are a joke, and I never watch any of them. With the exception of baseball, none of them even resemble the sport as its played during the regular season. >>

Having no players from the steelers and packers in the pro bowl, is like having an all-star game without yankees and cardinals. Too many players missing. MLB all-star game is a joke. Just because you have played 15-20 years, doesnt mean you deserve to be an all-star.

<< <i>

<< <i><<<but its better played after the super bowl>>>

All-star games in all sports are a joke, and I never watch any of them. With the exception of baseball, none of them even resemble the sport as its played during the regular season. >>

Having no players from the steelers and packers in the pro bowl, is like having an all-star game without yankees and cardinals. Too many players missing. MLB all-star game is a joke. Just because you have played 15-20 years, doesnt mean you deserve to be an all-star. >>

All the All Star games are a joke, but the MLB is the closest thing they have to a well played game.
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    If they expand the season to 18 games, the Pro Bowl will disappear in the negotiations & it would be the right thing to do. They could replace it with a skills competition the day before the Super Bowl and get much better ratings.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All they need to do is acknowledge the all stars in football and not have the game.

Like someone else said it does not resemble the game at all. There's no pass rush and the wouldn't even need pads for the hits they were giving out.

It's a game that doesn't mean a thing!