Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My 1916-D Mercury Dime appears to be authentic...

I wish I had a camera that would take photos at night! image
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    ...or a light that lit up... image
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I tried to warn you... I looked at some that were in PCGS CAC holders, the "D" has the proper slant, the proper location and the proper typeset... I hope it's real! image

I assure you, you won't be able to tell anything from these photos... but you called me out and I lighted the coin - the camera just isn't made to photo coins!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    You're right about the images, but if real it isn't one of those worn out ones.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a recent purchase or have you had it for awhile?
  • Options
    Hello. Check out this link:

1916-D Mercury Dime Counterfeit Detection

Shows the shape and style of the mint mark...
  • Options

<< <i>Is it a recent purchase or have you had it for awhile? >>

It's from a collection I purchased today that has been sealed in a SDB since 1973.
  • Options
    You put it in the self adhesive holder ?
  • Options

<< <i>Hello. Check out this link:

1916-D Mercury Dime Counterfeit Detection

Shows the shape and style of the mint mark... >>

I used this eBay listing, since mine isn't worn like the one in the diagnostic: 1916-D Mercury It looks like this dime on eBay. It's probably not real... I'll sell it to one of those bullion buyers tomorrow. image
  • Options

<< <i>You put it in the self adhesive holder ? >>

Okay... I'm a coin collector, that is in slabs! image I don't have supplies like the rest of you "collectors".
  • Options
    There are four mint marks for 1916-D and they don't all match. There is some variations in location.

Here are two of mine. Both certifed by PCGS.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>There are four mint marks for 1916-D and they don't all match. There is some variations in location. >>

Tony - You live in Wisconsin... that's close enough! image I have about 450-500 Mercury dimes to go through (and about 10,000 other coins). He marked a lot of the variations (1962-D cracked skull Lincoln, filled mint marks, filled dies, rounded rims, 1953 Dbl Liberty Lincoln, etc.)... my eyes just aren't up to the task! I'll meet you at your house tomorrow... until then! image
  • Options

<< <i>

Okay... I'm a coin collector, that is in slabs! image I don't have supplies like the rest of you "collectors". >>

It was just...well...er..did they have self adhesive holders in 73 ?
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin look in real good shape. Too good a shape. Obverse phone?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are four mint marks for 1916-D and they don't all match. There is some variations in location. >>

Tony - You live in Wisconsin... that's close enough! image I have about 450-500 Mercury dimes to go through (and about 10,000 other coins). He marked a lot of the variations (1962-D cracked skull Lincoln, filled mint marks, filled dies, rounded rims, 1953 Dbl Liberty Lincoln, etc.)... my eyes just aren't up to the task! I'll meet you at your house tomorrow... until then! image >>

Wow! In this snow storm!

• Options
    The little celestron digital microscope/camera is a great tool for the mercs , not only lets you inspect them but photograph the detail at high resolutions too.
  • Options
    If you pay me BW combat hazard pay I will fly from Texas and stay as long as you like. Cash payments, daily? Deal?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Okay... I'm a coin collector, that is in slabs! image I don't have supplies like the rest of you "collectors". >>

It was just...well...er..did they have self adhesive holders in 73 ? >>

Yes.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Well , there's something learned , i didn't know and wasn't around in 73. I took them to be a quite new development as we do tend to see the staples version predominantly.
  • Options

<< <i>Well , there's something learned , i didn't know and wasn't around in 73. I took them to be a quite new development as we do tend to see the staples version predominantly. >>

I bought a box of them in the 60's for my errors. First you had to peel a waxed paper like sheet off the gummed side, then lay two cellophane squares over the holes on the gummed side, put the coin on one of the cellophane squares and fold the holder over in the middle and press it together around the edges. After one box I decided they were not worth the trouble.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I have no doubt that the coin was put in the holder in 1973.

However, it should be noted that a significantly large percentage of high grade 1916-D dimes from that era have added mint marks.

I cannot tell anything about the coin from those pictures.

TD
  • Options
    I just thought it looked just like the ones i use with the little tab atop , i find them very easy to use and no wear on the 2x2 pages from staples.Im glad its cleared up and look forward to seeing the coin.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    Here's hoping she's legit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file