Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions wanted on this DBH

JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭
Sorry for the chopped off images. I'd like to get your opinions on this Draped Bust Half. What do you think of it in terms of grade, originality, strike, etc. Thanks!

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it a lot, and was looking for a nice one for quite some time. If I was looking still for an 1807 DBH I would look into this one.
    Looks around 40 in grade.

Edit to add, it looks about as original as you're gonna get for one of these, and I also like the wear pattern not much on cheek etc. All this just my
    worthless opinion.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin overall, and I agree with the approximate grade of XF40.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks a lot like a coin I sold about five years ago.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>Looks a lot like a coin I sold about five years ago. >>

Did you sell it because you were unhappy with it? image
  • Options
    I like it. If the price is right go for it.

Tom
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks a lot like a coin I sold about five years ago. >>

Did you sell it because you were unhappy with it? image >>

I sold it because it was beautiful and made someone else quite happy.

• Options
    I think this would make a wonderful addition to my Half Dollar type set. Now time, to figure out where the money's coming from image
  • Options
    Very nice coin, I doubt the originality of any silver coin of that era,as long as the surfaces are not etched or have alot of cleaning lines,you are in great shape.EF as to my opinion for grade.
    not an expert,just well informed.
  • Options
    VF35 but the eye appeal could bump it to 40.

Possibly re-toned but should be market acceptable for slabbing.

Strong reverse strike, average obverse.

$1000 to $1200 would be a fiar price range - raw that is.
  • Options

<< <i>VF35 but the eye appeal could bump it to 40.

Possibly re-toned but should be market acceptable for slabbing.

Strong reverse strike, average obverse.

$1000 to $1200 would be a fiar price range - raw that is. >>

Show me where I can buy a coin like this for $1000 and I'm a buyer on the spot!
  • Options
    Very nice certified VF30 pieces are widely available at $1000 to $1100. If that piece is raw, $1200 would be my limit.

Here's a PCGS certified 25 with only a touch more wear than the imaged coin for $1050.

Collectors Corner
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice certified VF30 pieces are widely available at $1000 to $1100. If that piece is raw, $1200 would be my limit.

Here's a PCGS certified 25 with only a touch more wear than the imaged coin for $1050.

Collectors Corner >>

That coin has a slash around the date, that is why it is a 25 with so much meat. A similar coin could be found without the slash at auction in the $6-700 range. 1050 is way to much (PCGS Price guide says 800 anyway)

The OP coin I think would be a great XF40 (or even 45 if it has decent luster). 40s go for 1400-1800, and that one looks to be more of the 1800 variety (as long as it is slabbed).

Be wary of unslabbed coins as you never know what the services will say about them. I think we all have seen the AT and environmental damage slabs with decent coins in them lately...if you are collecting slabbed coins, buy it in the slab.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF40, nice coin. Misaligned dies at strike, the reverse is centered, the obverse is slighty off center. The strike is actually sharp for the variety and year, all features of the reverse are struck up - clouds, breast feathers, stars, shield, etc. The 1807's have a slightly flatter obverse relief, even well struck coins like this one have flat hair detail. The O.105 variety is the most commonly found DBH of 1807.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    The coin is in an NGC XF40 holder. When all is said and done I'll end up paying about $1700 for it.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin is in an NGC XF40 holder. When all is said and done I'll end up paying about $1700 for it. >>

That sounds about right. Very ice look to it.

Tom

• Options
    The coin I owned was also in an NGC EF40 holder.

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Lewy knows these things....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file