Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Titan of the Clashes

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked up 2 of these at the Round Rock, TX show this weekend. This is the most severe case of die clash I've ever seen on a 20th-Century coin, and one of the stronger ones I seen ever. Note the earth by the mintmark on the obverse, and the full profile to the right of the eagle on the reverse. There's even clashing on SBA's neck- one of the few times I've ever seen clasing on the devices. It's a wonder the dies didn't shatter or at least crack. I did the best I could with the photos, but it has to be seen in-hand to be fully appreciated!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for this one, how cool to have Jefferson's eyes peeking out from behind the building ....

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have a 3CN with 3-4 distinct impressions of Liberty framing the reverse numerals. i suspect that the press operator was either new, stupid or drunk.image
  • Options

<< <i>I vote for this one, how cool to have Jefferson's eyes peeking out from behind the building ....

>>

I like it!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Very cool clashes guys. Here is one of my favorites from a Civil War Token I have...

Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    Wow- some cool ones here. The Civil War token is what I would've expected the dies that struck this coin to have done, considering how hard they came together.
  • Options
    Great post title! That civil war token is cool! >c
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent SBA!!! image

Cool looking clashes on all the coins imaged.

While trimes often have significant clashing, I still like that I can see most of the reverse on the obverse of this one...
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of "severe 20th Century" die clashes:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorites. Edit to resize.Now you can see it.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Cool clashes all, but I don't buy that the original photos show clashes on SBA's neck (the other clashes on the coin look right to me).

Since devices are incuse on dies, it should be impossible for any portion of a device to come in contact with the other die during a clash. There are no raised points on the clashing die - the highest points are the fields.
  • Options

<< <i>Cool clashes all, but I don't buy that the original photos show clashes on SBA's neck (the other clashes on the coin look right to me).

Since devices are incuse on dies, it should be impossible for any portion of a device to come in contact with the other die during a clash. There are no raised points on the clashing die - the highest points are the fields. >>

I would agree with you, but the outline of the eagle's wing is clearly visible on SBA's neck. It defies logic, but it got there somehow- any other ideas on what could've caused it?

Also, some awesome clashes in this thread- keep 'em coming!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file