Home Precious Metals
Options

Ever throw away Gold?

Whenever I order silver from APMEX, sometimes I'll just add a 1/10th oz AGE to use up all the funds that I had available. So this week I received a RCM 10 oz silver bar and quickly opened up the package, took out the bar and threw away the box and padded bag that it came in. Forward to 3 days later and I was putting away the receipt and noticed that I had also ordered a 1/10th ounce AGE! I immediately went out to the trash cans that were sitting at the curb waiting to be picked up later in the day, and searched through them to find the white padded envelope that APMEX uses. Sure enough inside was an AGEimage
"If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt

Comments

• Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Yikes, glad you remembered before the truck came and got the trash!!!

And to answer your question in the title of this thread, HE!! NO!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet it happens a lot around Christmas, especially with cash too.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost. I mighta posted this before, but I started buying scrap when I was 11 or 12 with paper route money. One time I bought an 18k crown & keys (catholic thing) medallion. Really intricate, and must have weighed a good 15 grams--a fortune for a young kid. European. Marked 750. I was really proud of it.

I'd apparently left it on the laundry room sink counter and it disappeared. Maybe a year or two later, mom was taking stuff out of the cabinet under the sink for a garage sale. Among the things she removed was a paper bag full of old school paper poker chips I'd gotten at a garage sale years before. She was going to put a buck on it, but something made her dump them all out and check. Yep, the medallion was in it. image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    I once lost my wedding ring while treading water of of Cape May, NJ. I had lost 20 lbs between the time I was measured for that ring and that day. The ring simply slid off my finger. Bummer - it was a nice gold ring.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost did the same with a 1/10 kangaroo that came with my libertad proof set. Thought it was being shipped seperate but a 2nd unpacking revealed it.
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Ask Fred Weinberg. image
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three days at the curbside? In my area you would have had 100 Mexicans
    dig through it in that length of time, and I'd have had trash all over the place
    to pick up. And, of course a ticket for clutter (I believe it falls under littering).
    Not allowed to put trash out earlier than 7pm the night before pick up.

You are one lucky son of a coin dealer!

bobimage

PS: not being disrespectful to any of Mexican descent on these boards, just facts.
    All lot of industrial Mexicans that go through everybody's trash.

On a side note, the only gold I've ever lost was my 18k class ring when I dove off
    a cliff into a swimming hole in the Carson River. Just slid off the finger in the plunge.
    Never found. bummerimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>Three days at the curbside? In my area you would have had 100 Mexicans
    dig through it in that length of time, and I'd have had trash all over the place
    to pick up. And, of course a ticket for clutter (I believe it falls under littering).
    Not allowed to put trash out earlier than 7pm the night before pick up.

You are one lucky son of a coin dealer!

bobimage

PS: not being disrespectful to any of Mexican descent on these boards, just facts.
    All lot of industrial Mexicans that go through everybody's trash.

On a side note, the only gold I've ever lost was my 18k class ring when I dove off
    a cliff into a swimming hole in the Carson River. Just slid off the finger in the plunge.
    Never found. bummerimage >>

Trash wasn't at the curb for 3 days, it was 3 days after I threw the packaging away and just happened to be trash pick up day when I noticed it. Same here trash can only be out night before and cans need to be brought back by the same evening
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    my wife lost the "backing" on two earrings I bought for her at Tiffanys over the years... one was 18k and the other platinum. does that count? image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I once lost my wedding ring while treading water of of Cape May, NJ. I had lost 20 lbs between the time I was measured for that ring and that day. The ring simply slid off my finger. Bummer - it was a nice gold ring. >>

I now wear my wedding ring on my middle finger due to weight loss. Even there, it is looser than it used to be on my wedding finger.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    When I ordered my Ultra High Relief Double Eagle in Jan of 09', the mint delivered it to my old apartment address. Actually, I lived in a townhouse. It sat out there, in front of my doorstep, for 2 whole weeks before I found out where the Mint sent it. When I did find out, I sprinted to my car hoping nobody took it. I arrive at my old place speeding like a mad man and sure enough, there it is, box right in front of the door. I'll never forget that.

So it doesn't exactly fall under the category of throwing away gold, but I'd say losing it is just as bad!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I once lost my wedding ring while treading water of of Cape May, NJ. I had lost 20 lbs between the time I was measured for that ring and that day. The ring simply slid off my finger. Bummer - it was a nice gold ring. >>

I now wear my wedding ring on my middle finger due to weight loss. Even there, it is looser than it used to be on my wedding finger. >>

You do know a jeweler can make that ring smaller, right?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ask Fred Weinberg. image >>

so, spill the beans. I assume some rare gold piece was discarded accidentally?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I through away a tooth I had pulled that had a gold filling. Couldn't stand the sight of it.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

<< <i>so, spill the beans. I assume some rare gold piece was discarded accidentally? >>

Two words... Stella. Landfill.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>so, spill the beans. I assume some rare gold piece was discarded accidentally? >>

Two words... Stella. Landfill. >>

Winner!

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    Definately happened to money... many years ago my brother was away all summer at a Boy Scout Camp. Dad sent him a box of goodies / snacks / etc about half way through the summer. Sort of a mid summer Red Cross package. Weeks later Dad asked him what he spent his $50 on? Did you go into town and buy fast food, snacks, what? What $50, he didn't even have $5 to his name all summer. When Dad told him there was an envelope in the box with $50 cash in it my brothers face went white. He opened the box, him and his friends ate the goodies around the fire one night then he tossed the box on the fire. Just like that, $50 up in smoke... LOL

Needless to say my Dad never sent him any cash anymore.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade