Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Doctoring classes

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
would you attend ?

why would you or why would not attend?

I for one, think it would be very interenting seeing what can be done to a coin.
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    I would absolutely attend. Knowledge is power.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure - I think it would be fascinating.

Besides, if PCGS won't grade their coins anymore, they have to make money somehow. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always better to know than not to know.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will they have pretty Coin Nurses assisting on all the procedures image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely, as GEN said the knowledge would be priceless. I am sure it would help me weed out potential potholes in my collection.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    I have no interest in doctoring coins but would attend just to know what to watch for.

Someone before put it well: Knowledge is power.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe some of the bigger coin doctors can teach it as part of their community service.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why not go and learn how they do this, that way you know what to look for

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    When I first started collecting I loved rainbow toned coins. After a year or so of experience I realized how I had been cheated by AT on several pieces. So I went out, bought a white BU roll of '62 quarters, and tried every AT method I could find on the internet - blowtorch, napkin, oven, chemicals, the works. It was extremely instructive and really opened my eyes to how many possibly AT coins are on the market and in holders. I would absolutely recommend doing the same to anyone who's planning to spend significant money on nicely toned coins. If you recoil in horror at 1962 Washingtons being destroyed I'm sure you could do the same with 1oz rounds or the like, or even with red cents if toned copper is your thing. Sort of a self-study course, I guess.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to know so I would know what to look for.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id like to know and see how they do it. just for general knowledge image
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe some of the bigger coin doctors can teach it as part of their community service.image >>

I like that idea
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to teach a class how to detect ATed coins without discussing how to do it?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Campbell gets very descriptive in the ANA summer seminar class regarding AT. Calls himself a former coin doctor. He shows many AT coins, and how they were done, including toning within slabs. He also gets a coin doctor on the phone to answer questions that can get fairly specific into the how. I can't imagine teaching the class any other way. I think you've got to know the "how to" to reliably detect the result.
  • Options

<< <i>When I first started collecting I loved rainbow toned coins. After a year or so of experience I realized how I had been cheated by AT on several pieces. So I went out, bought a white BU roll of '62 quarters, and tried every AT method I could find on the internet - blowtorch, napkin, oven, chemicals, the works. It was extremely instructive and really opened my eyes to how many possibly AT coins are on the market and in holders. I would absolutely recommend doing the same to anyone who's planning to spend significant money on nicely toned coins. If you recoil in horror at 1962 Washingtons being destroyed I'm sure you could do the same with 1oz rounds or the like, or even with red cents if toned copper is your thing. Sort of a self-study course, I guess. >>

Any pictures to share? It would be interesting to see some examples. image
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe some of the bigger coin doctors can teach it as part of their community service.image >>

Then after the course was finished a few of the boys could take the instructor out back and work him over right good.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    I have practiced on my own for a long time just as many people here have. To this day, I still haven't seen one AT coin with thick rainbow toning. All of them look light pastel colored but lack the depth of deep NT rainbow look.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file