Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Declared values--In regards to reviews & crossovers

Let's say a card is close to the next service teir....Like a 66 Mantle in PSA 8. Could you just review it with a bunch of $100-499 cards and declare the value at $499. I don't think cards that VCP $500-$600 is an abuse of the system to declare at $499.

Anyone have any real experience with this, or would you directly need to go through customer service for this. I know when it started they said to use SMR; but in reality the SMR is not accurate at all.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Mickey71

Comments

• bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Let's say a card is close to the next service teir....Like a 66 Mantle in PSA 8. Could you just review it with a bunch of $100-499 cards and declare the value at $499. I don't think cards that VCP $500-$600 is an abuse of the system to declare at $499.

Anyone have any real experience with this, or would you directly need to go through customer service for this. I know when it started they said to use SMR; but in reality the SMR is not accurate at all.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Mickey71 >>

I've always used SMR, since it's PSA's own valuation system. I have also found that the occasional card in a sub that pops above the threshold causes them any heartburn so I wouldn't worry about it either.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Declared value is just that - the value that you declare
    PSA has no requirement that you use VCP, SMR or any other service.
    You are basically telling PSA how much insurance you want to put on your order.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    In regards to reviews and crossovers....Anyone else have any experience with this?
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    they aren't going to nick you if a card is worth a few bucks over the next tier level. Your example of a $550-600 card that is declared at $499 is not an abuse at all, and you won't have any problem submitting those at the lower level. However, if your whole sub is filled with those cards, and one that is a $1200 card or so, you might get a call.

Just remember that your declared value is going to be the maximum you get if something happens.