Home U.S. Coin Forum

Windows XP-Pro-Mac-Other-OS Questions

I hope since we are all on the computer this is a relevant question. We use Windows XP-Pro and have done so for years. I'm afraid to change to anything else for fear of getting an inferior operating system. But we noticed that despite the fact our computer systems are less than 3 years old, the "copyright" on Windows XP-Pro says 1995-2001 !

Is something wrong with our XP-Pro or is that how everybody's is?

What operating systems are you all using and are you happy with it?

Lastly, I mostly do email and surf the net. All the technical stuff in my company is done by either my Wife or our programmers. If you were me would you still use Windows XP-Pro or would you look to another windows product, or Mac and why? Or why not if you're not?

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running Pro on 3 computers. I'll stay with it as long as it keeps giving me great service.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work in the IT field for the Federal government, going on 12 years now. I still use Windows XP Pro on my laptop at home, Windows 7 on my desktop PC. I have friends who use MAC OSX and love it but I don't own a MAC and never intend to. If Windows XP is working fine for you and doing what you need it to do, why upgrade/change?

Is there something that you feel you are missing out on? If so, you can rest assured that you arent, especially if all you do is email and Internet browsing.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switched to MAC 3 years ago and will never own a PC again.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • At some point, you'll probably have to upgrade to Windows 7, but as the saying goes, it it ain't broke...

I'm a Mac user--been so for 20 years. I like the OS-experience a bit better. I've grown to dislike the proprietary-ness of the platform though. I like being able to customize hardware and the Mac-platform isn't real friendly that way.

I guess what I'm saying, is that if it's working for you, don't change until you have to. Next time you upgrade machines, go for Windows 7. It'll be an easier transition than jumping to the Mac. And don't touch Vista....
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Id go back to XP in a heartbeat , the problem being nowdays big name laptop manufacturers have an overide in the bios that doesnt allow a user to downgrade , just upgrade.These machines come with Vista or 7 nowdays.
    The copyright thing , Microsoft copyrighted those names back in the day , those and plenty others.

<< <i>Id go back to XP in a heartbeat , the problem being nowdays big name laptop manufacturers have an overide in the bios that doesnt allow a user to downgrade , just upgrade.These machines come with Vista or 7 nowdays.
    The copyright thing , Microsoft copyrighted those names back in the day , those and plenty others. >>

All you have to do is change the SATA (hard drive) controller from "AHCI" to "Compatible" (or whatever non-AHCI option is available) and viola! You can install Windows XP! We do it all the time on government PCs and laptops. image
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using a Mac for over 20 years and absolutely love it. There are Windows users who feel the same about their machines. Like someone said, it would be much easier to stay with what you have and just upgrade to Windows 7. If you know someone who has a Mac, maybe they would let you test drive it. My wife has a Sony laptop with Windows 7 that she needs for some of her school tasks (teacher), but she prefers the Mac.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    My personal laptop is Windows Vista™ which is an operating system "live" abortion.

My work laptop is Windows XP Pro SP3 which I absolutely LOVE! image

The only thing which prevents me from loading Windows XP Pro on my personal laptop is that all my other software is out of date and I really wouldn't look forward to updating it and'or getting MS patches.

As for the OP, enjoy your OS while you can and just hope to hell your motherboard doesn't croak since they may not make that anymore either. At least, thats what happened to me to force the purchase of a Laptop. I shoulda converted then but did not do so to prevent screwing up the warranty.

Oh well.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used XP for years and was happy with it, but purchased a new computer just over a year ago and it had Windows 7 in it already. I've used Windows 7 since then and it is great. The time it took to learn any changes was minimal, if at all, and nearly everything on my old computer worked with my new computer.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I switched to MAC 3 years ago and will never own a PC again. >>

I switched back to Mac 1 year ago (used Mac until 1996, then PC from 1996-2010), and other than at work or for teleradiology, I will never use a PC again. There is no comparison.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    My work machine has XP on it, although we are getting ready to migrate to Windows 7. My laptop and my wifes netbook at home both use Windows Vista. The new computer I am looking at uses Windows 7 though.

If your XP works and you don't need to upgrade the rpograms you are running then just stick with it.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XP was good and pretty solid.
    Vista wasn't.
    Win7 is great. Moved my 60 something year old mother from XP to Win7 last year, and after less than a week of her griping, she started liking it as well.

If you buy new HW (printers, etc), most of them won't come with XP drivers. HW manufacturers don't like to support more than they have to and they usually don't go backwards unless there is a big reason for it.

Aside from a few small things (outlook express, etc), anything you could do in XP you can do in Win7 (and just as, or more, solidly). To get the email client, and a few other things, you need to download the Windows Live suite. Not a big deal but not something most people realize. Had to do that with mom.

As mentioned, the copyright is from when it was copyrighted to when it shipped. The release date for XP was 8/24/2001 I believe, so that was "current" when you machine was built.

I, personally, have been able to run everything from my XP machines with my Win7 machine with only a few needing tweaked (usually games).

I know governments, and big businesses, change slowly...and have their own IT department, but I know that, personally, if I were a small business owner, I would NOT be staying on systems more than a few years old. HW doesn't last forever, and things change in the SW field. You better have your stuff backed up because a failing drive could kill your data. Even emails can be important at time. Are they saved locally or on your server? Are they backed up?

If I were you, I would go Win7.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>I hope since we are all on the computer this is a relevant question. We use Windows XP-Pro and have done so for years. I'm afraid to change to anything else for fear of getting an inferior operating system. But we noticed that despite the fact our computer systems are less than 3 years old, the "copyright" on Windows XP-Pro says 1995-2001 !

Lastly, I mostly do email and surf the net. All the technical stuff in my company is done by either my Wife or our programmers. If you were me would you still use Windows XP-Pro or would you look to another windows product, or Mac and why? Or why not if you're not? >>

I'm running Windows XP Pro. When I go to the lock screen, it shows a copyright symbol and the dates 1995-2001. I assume that's what you're talking about?

XP is a solid OS, but make sure you've got the current service pack installed (SP3). link

I also use Windows 7 and it's pretty solid. Vista was a dozen different kinds of pita.

For your last question, I recommend sticking with your current PC until it no longer meets your needs or until your wife or one of your programmers says to upgrade.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mac is the only way to go IMO. I only used macs and Im on my third one in about 20 years. Some say that macs are too expensive but I totally disagree. Upfront, they may cost more, BUT you will save way more money because macs are so much easier to use, they save lots of time (thus money), they rare crash saving more time, they rarely break (get the 3 year plan) and are virtually virus free.

Macs are way less expensive (all thing considered) and way better, IMO.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>XP was good and pretty solid.
    Vista wasn't.
    Win7 is great. Moved my 60 something year old mother from XP to Win7 last year, and after less than a week of her griping, she started liking it as well.

If you buy new HW (printers, etc), most of them won't come with XP drivers. HW manufacturers don't like to support more than they have to and they usually don't go backwards unless there is a big reason for it.

Aside from a few small things (outlook express, etc), anything you could do in XP you can do in Win7 (and just as, or more, solidly). To get the email client, and a few other things, you need to download the Windows Live suite. Not a big deal but not something most people realize. Had to do that with mom.

As mentioned, the copyright is from when it was copyrighted to when it shipped. The release date for XP was 8/24/2001 I believe, so that was "current" when you machine was built.

I, personally, have been able to run everything from my XP machines with my Win7 machine with only a few needing tweaked (usually games).

I know governments, and big businesses, change slowly...and have their own IT department, but I know that, personally, if I were a small business owner, I would NOT be staying on systems more than a few years old. HW doesn't last forever, and things change in the SW field. You better have your stuff backed up because a failing drive could kill your data. Even emails can be important at time. Are they saved locally or on your server? Are they backed up?

If I were you, I would go Win7. >>

Thanks Ron. My only hesitation is that Vista sucked so badly and it was a forced change! Either that or build a new system from scratch and I just wasn't in the mood to figure out them danged motherboard connections again! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    I have used most versions of Windows for 20+ years and more recently I have switched to Mac OS X. Both are fine operating systems. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Changing between them is a small change. I have not used Windows 7, but I would not hesitate to do so.

If your wife is your tech expert, I would use whatever operating system she feels comfortable with. Eventually, you will need to move to a more current operating system. Do not fear this. It will be a good thing.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    "Lastly, I mostly do email and surf the net. All the technical stuff in my company is done by either my Wife or our programmers. If you were me would you still use Windows XP-Pro or would you look to another windows product, or Mac and why? Or why not if you're not?"

Firstly.....email and surfing....stay with your XP-Pro, use firefox maybe as your browser. be sure you are updated to SP3

• Beware the upgrade with Windows. I'm mostly a mac guy but I have one of those Roland Vinyl sign machines and most of the decent software for that kind of thing is made for Windows so I keep one Windows box around. I was running XP then went to Vista minimal problems and now I bought Windows 7 and installed the 64 bit version. I have one program that probably cost around $1000 that does not work on Windows 7 no way no how. I've tried it all.

95% of the stuff I do I can do on other software that does work on that platform and my MacBookPro laptop dual boots to XP which has that program on it so I still have that capability.

Bottom line is this. Don't upgrade because it's cool. Upgrade if you need to and consider backwards compatibility for all the things you do. You may think you just check email and use the internet but I bet there are other things you do or will want to do.

I recently dug out an old Canon BJC-85 portable printer. Thing fit in a laptop bag and also had an optional scanner cartridge. I hooked it up to my Windows 7 machine and there are no Canon drivers but oddly enough Windows has one on their Windows Update Site.

I also found that I could get the scanner program working by running it in Windows compatibility mode. Bottom line here is I could do everything I want much easier having never upgraded.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Lastly, I mostly do email and surf the net. All the technical stuff in my company is done by either my Wife or our programmers. If you were me would you still use Windows XP-Pro or would you look to another windows product, or Mac and why? Or why not if you're not?"

Firstly.....email and surfing....stay with your XP-Pro, use firefox maybe as your browser. be sure you are updated to SP3 >>

Yes I also have firefox when there are problems ( which seem to pop up at exactly the time you really don't need problems).

I thought of buying a mac so I could see if there were changes to the websites . Maybe I try out a mac and leave my Wifes computers the way they are.

I have an extra XP-Pro just in caseimage

As well as external HD's etc which we back up often.

• << <i>

<< <i>Id go back to XP in a heartbeat , the problem being nowdays big name laptop manufacturers have an overide in the bios that doesnt allow a user to downgrade , just upgrade.These machines come with Vista or 7 nowdays.
    The copyright thing , Microsoft copyrighted those names back in the day , those and plenty others. >>

All you have to do is change the SATA (hard drive) controller from "AHCI" to "Compatible" (or whatever non-AHCI option is available) and viola! You can install Windows XP! We do it all the time on government PCs and laptops. image >>

Thanks , i'll try that
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Linux and I am very happy with it.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Windows 7 on my netbook which is basically my work computer. Windows Vista on my laptop which I use for games (not that many, but once in awhile) and downloading music (pssstt, I didn't say that. They are all bootlegs anyway, I buy every new album of my favorite artists on both vinyl as well as CD). The latter is much slower and I'm glad they got rid of it already.

I remember the times of windows 3.0 at elementary school, later Windows 95. 16 colors, oh wasn't that fun?

Dennis

• << <i>Windows 7 on my netbook which is basically my work computer. Windows Vista on my laptop which I use for games (not that many, but once in awhile) and downloading music (pssstt, I didn't say that. They are all bootlegs anyway, I buy every new album of my favorite artists on both vinyl as well as CD). The latter is much slower and I'm glad they got rid of it already.

I remember the times of windows 3.0 at elementary school, later Windows 95. 16 colors, oh wasn't that fun?

Dennis >>

Nice. I still have a working Mac Plus from '87. I start it up every now and then. MS Word 5.1 was a truly great, simple word processor. And Loderunner rules. If it weren't such a pain to get files off, I'd use it more often.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • 1st rule in IT, if its not broken, don't fix it. If XP is doing what you need it to, stay with it, its tried and true. Eventually the newer applications will cease supporting it, but that could be sometime. Vista blows chunks, windows 7 is fine, but you need a ton more memory for it to run quickly. i would still be on it but my new laptop came with 7, so, following rule #1, I did not fix it by downgrading.
  • When you do upgrade, get Windows 7 Pro, it has XP in it's own virtual sandbox, so if you have anything that runs exclusively in XP, it will still work. 32 or 64 bit is a different matter. Eventually 64 bit will be the only choice for new PC's. Also if you do decide to upgrade, be sure to delete old files and defrag prior to the upgrade. It will make the operation much smoother
  • Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    LINUX.

Got tired of all the Windows problems.Switched 5 years ago and never looked back.
  • LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    I have a Macbook with VMWare Fusion installed and have the privilege of using OSX, Ubuntu (Linux), and Windows XP Pro seamlessly at the same time. So why just choose one when you can have them all? image
  • DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    If your gonna pull out the "WAY_BACK MACHINE", the lets not forget about DOS.

• From ID theft to OS/Computer questions - perhaps it's time to resign your CU forum and look elsewhere for entertainment, because this is a US COIN FORUM!image
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Windows XP Pro at work (college) because it is required by the institution.

Mac OS X 10.6.6 at home using VMWare Fusion running XP Pro when I have to use a Windows product on my home machine.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

• << <i>I hope since we are all on the computer this is a relevant question. We use Windows XP-Pro and have done so for years. I'm afraid to change to anything else for fear of getting an inferior operating system. But we noticed that despite the fact our computer systems are less than 3 years old, the "copyright" on Windows XP-Pro says 1995-2001 !

Lastly, I mostly do email and surf the net. All the technical stuff in my company is done by either my Wife or our programmers. If you were me would you still use Windows XP-Pro or would you look to another windows product, or Mac and why? Or why not if you're not? >>

My computer is running VISTA Home Premium, and my wife's computer is Windows 7.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used Microsoft-OS machines since before the IBM-PC. Tinkered with a Mac in the early '90s but stayed with PC's.

Five years ago I moved to a Mac and will never go back. Macs are so much more reliable. I've tired of fixing PC's. It was fun in the old days but now I just want the damn thing to work...every time.

The downside is you have to do things Apple's way. But it's a small shortcoming and the trade-off is well worth it.
    Lance.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong at all with XP at this point. It's more stable than Vista and Win7, FWIW.

Mac is a very good alternative. A bit more expensive, but more stable yet.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

As an engineer, I've used PC's throughout my undergrad, grad, and working life (DOS, MS Windows, XP, etc). However, I've OWNED nothing but Macintoshes. They cost more, but the Mac OS is flat out superior to any PC OS I've used. Never crashes and always free of viruses.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

<< <i>I used Microsoft-OS machines since before the IBM-PC. >>

Really? I thought MS's first OS product was MS-DOS, which made its debut on the IBM PC.
  • IBM were the first OEM company for MS DOS 1 , but earlier versions called 86-DOS were sold prior.

<< <i>IBM were the first OEM company for MS DOS 1 , but earlier versions called 86-DOS were sold prior. >>

86-DOS was not an MS product, I don't think. It was the basis for PC-DOS and MS-DOS. I do not believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong), that MS sold any copies as 86-DOS after buying it from Seattle Computer Products (who developed it, IIRC). When MS licensed it to IBM, they rebranded it PC-DOS (and later MS-DOS).

• << <i>

<< <i>IBM were the first OEM company for MS DOS 1 , but earlier versions called 86-DOS were sold prior. >>

86-DOS was not an MS product, I don't think. It was the basis for PC-DOS and MS-DOS. I do not believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong), that MS sold any copies as 86-DOS after buying it from Seattle Computer Products (who developed it, IIRC). When MS sold it to IBM, they rebranded it PC-DOS (and later MS-DOS). >>

Yeah , they did Mike , in December of 80 Microsoft bought the non exclusive rights to 86DOS to market it to an undisclosed customer.They didn't buy full rights until July of 81 and that's when the name changed.
    Wow, I didn't know that! Thanks! image

[edited to add] If you know, and can share, who was the "undisclosed customer"?
  • I don't actually know for sure who the customer was Mike , but could take a wild guess it was in some way connected to an agency or perhaps military organisation. I checked timelines for 86 DOS and they still don't say who it was , just when.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Your very own Longacre upgraded to Word 2007 about a month ago, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to put an auto file path in the footer. I even tried the Help menu. It is driving The Man crazy and he keeps telling me to put it in my memos. I've started to just type it in by hand out of fear he will can me if I keep leaving the footer without a file path. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • This might help , it's an infamous problem.

Ahhhhaaaaa
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This might help , it's an infamous problem.

Ahhhhaaaaa >>

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was driving me crazy. Now The Man won't can me. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XP will be around for years, good stable OS, no ned for Vista IMHO.
    Using my Linux machine now, most viruses are written for XP n Vista.
    Still have a machine running 2000 Pro, and believe it or not, a machine with 98 second edition.
    Guess it's up to the user.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
    Google is also working on the Android OS for PCs. They already have it for Tablet PCs and from what I've seen, it's very stable and intuitive to use. In aesthetics, it is closer to MAC OS than Windows, but shows promise to be superior to both. It has multiple Desktops, similar to Droid phones now. I am looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Check out his coin: image

• Weirdly enough, I've been an early adopter of Vista, and I've avoided upgrading to Windows 7, simply because I haven't had any of the problems that others describe with Vista, and because everything is working fine, I have no reason to upgrade--that's money that could instead go to coins. I used to upgrade to new versions to keep up with tech trends. But, since I've gotten into coin collecting and want to funnel my money into things that gain value instead of depreciate to nothing in two years, my tech purchases have shrunken. Nowdays, I get new tech gear if it offers something I can't already do or a better way of doing things. I upgraded from a three year old Treo to a new Droid X because it could do a lot my old phone could not. My wife upgraded at the same time to a Droid 2 Global from a simple flip phone so she could learn text messaging and Internet networking tools like Facebook. I got an iPad because it is light, convenient, boots up instantly, and makes casual web browsing a lot more comfortable sitting on a sofa or in bed. But, my laptop, a Fujitsu convertible tablet PC is now four years old, and I replaced it with itself--upgrading the hard drive over two years ago, doubling the RAM, and most recently replacing an aging battery that could not hold a charge. New laptops offer somewhat faster processors and other minor tweaks, but nothing that would justify replacing the model I've already got. Indeed, I have a hard time finding new convertible tablets with a 1400x1050 screen resolution--most go down to 1280x768, a sacrifice of almost half the work surface, even if that does give me bigger buttons and words.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    My wife has Vista, and it took me 2 days to make it semi-functional (i.e., make it act more or less like XP). If I was building today, I'd consider Win 7, but I'd be as likely or more likely to track down a copy of XP Pro 64 bit. I might try and wait out Win 7 and see what their next release looks like.

As for the copyright dates, that's just because they are incorporating bits and pieces of stuff that they created as far back as 1995. No biggie.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file