Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Disaster averted. Scans of review cards posted.

Just got my review order back today. When it arrived it was in a flat FedEx box and the contents were rattling around. Ruh roh.......fearing the worst, I opened it and sure enough the slabs were out of the smaller box. Thankfully none of them were damaged.

The cards weren't high dollar cards at all - just a 63 Mays, Aaron, Berra, 66 Mays, 68 Mantle, and 68 Bench RC. image
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Good thing they were just commons.image
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    How did you do?
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I was 2 for 6, .333 batting average. HOF numbers on the surface, but they bumped the least deserving card in my opinion (the 63 Mays) and didn't bump the obvious (66 Mays).

1 1 16287591 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1968 TOPPS 247 REDS ROOKIES JOHNNY BENCH/RON TOMPKINS Card US
    2 1 15956577 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1968 TOPPS 280 MICKEY MANTLE Card US (was PSA 8)
    3 1 16406864 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1963 TOPPS 390 HANK AARON Card US
    4 1 90364032 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1963 TOPPS 340 YOGI BERRA Card US
    5 1 31116483 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1963 TOPPS 300 WILLIE MAYS Card US (was PSA 8)
    6 1 17885505 EXCELLENT-MINT+ 6.5 1966 TOPPS 1 WILLIE MAYS Card US

Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    .333 Damn, you're in the hall of fame. Even with Shaq's FT % you're in the hall of fame.image
  • Options
    I'll post scans of all of them tonight. Opinions welcome.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    cant wait to see them!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got my review order back today. When it arrived it was in a flat FedEx box and the contents were rattling around. Ruh roh.......fearing the worst, I opened it and sure enough the slabs were out of the smaller box. Thankfully none of them were damaged.

The cards weren't high dollar cards at all - just a 63 Mays, Aaron, Berra, 66 Mays, 68 Mantle, and 68 Bench RC. image >>

Ever since they went to Priority, for my orders they've been putting a piece of tape on the flap of the smaller boxes inside of the Priority box. I assume they didn't do that this time? Glad to see everything turned out okay.

Out of curiousity. What was your turnaround time?
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    I think I remember you posting a scan of that '63 Aaron and it was a blazer.
  • Options
    Turnaround time was terrible. Sent in on 10 day service, nothing by the 16th business day and I finally called to complain. On 6 cards.

Here are the scans. Don't know if you can see the stickers but to summarize: 68 Bench didn't bump due to T/B centering; 63 Berra didn't bump due to upper corners (huh?); 63 Aaron didn't bump due to "light PD" (LOLOLOLOL!!!!); 66 Mays didn't bump because of discoloring on the back......which is common to low number 66's.

Ron Burgundy

• Options

Ron Burgundy

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I know this has been asked, but what about a card makes you think it will bump? I know Mickey71 has told me the corners are more important than the centering. The one that you have Ron that stands out as a miss on PSA's part is the '63 Aaron, the centering on that card is always tough and that is dang close to perfect. Thoughts on your reasons?
  • Options
    Sharp cards indeed. Do you feel that PSA knows that big bucks are involved "if" they bump cards of this quality, and that they are more "harsh" when checking for possible bumps?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>Sharp cards indeed. Do you feel that PSA knows that big bucks are involved "if" they bump cards of this quality, and that they are more "harsh" when checking for possible bumps? >>

Yes.
  • Options
    First thing I look for is corners. Sounds odd because centering is most obvious but I just don't think they'll bump a card if the corners aren't there. I'll loupe the corners then check the centering, then re-check for print last. Weird thing with this submission was, I put the 63 Mays in at the last minute, I needed one more card because I had a voucher for a free grade if I sent in 5 for grading. It's a sharp card but not nearly on par with the 63 Aaron.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    BS on the Bench. That centering meets 9 criteria and that card is the nicest 8 I've seen. Worth another try
    If that's a scratch on Aaron then I can see why it won't get the 9
  • Options
    1. Are folks aware of how tough that Berra card is? That is the crown jewel of all 8's of that card. All things considered- "The best card of the sub"...........That is a rare card in that shape.

2. What's wrong with the Bench centering? We're not talking a 10.

3. The Aaron is beautiful and very high grade. I don't see the PD that kept it from a 9.

4. With the slight rough cut...I technically agree with the 63 Mays and this is why///tough to find that well centered & the color and focus are outstanding. Usually looks washed out.

5. 68 Mantle- looks NM-MT+

6. 66 Mays--can't really give a strong opinion; but looks like a 7-7.5

Congrats Ron. Those are awesome. Be patient. A couple of those could end up in higher holders someday.

Mickey71
  • Options

<< <i>Turnaround time was terrible. Sent in on 10 day service, nothing by the 16th business day and I finally called to complain. On 6 cards.
    >>

Wow. And they didnt give a discount for not getting what you paid for? Not good.
  • Options
    Here's my observation: I agree that the '63 Mays was the least deserving due to slight rought cut(right border) and touches to top and bottom right corners. '68 Mantle looks to have a tilt but could be the way it's sitting in the holder. If the Aaron and Mays are 8.5s then the Berra is an 8.5 also.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ron,

You seem to be a major collector and especially of high end vintage material. In your mind why are there so many cards out there that will bump? Is it due to PSA adopting a half point scale or just human error? It would seem to me that if a 1/3 or 33 1/3% of the cards you subbed got an improved grade that there are tons of cards simply in the wrong holders. It may very well be that the change to the half point scale is allowing many collectors to re sub cards that look extremely strong for the grade.

I realize no one is perfect, but after reviewing a huge number of cards that PSA would stand behind their work. At first glance this appears to me as if they are not confident in their work and essentially admitting they were intially wrong. With these type results it would seem it is well worth the cost to try and resub items. I would bet that a 1/2 bump on anyone of those cards is a $100+++ improvement in the market value.

If you have a moment please share your thoughts.

Thanks and great cards!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but as has been noticed the 68 Mantle has a tilt. That immediately caught my eye. I think low to mid grade cards well centered have strong eye appeal. High grade cards with a tilt do the opposite for me. They must have a cross-eyed grader who bumps the cards with a tilt. But as I said "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I'm sure there are those who would love to have that card. Actually.... if I close one eye and turn my head a little to the right it does not look too bad.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Ralph - you're right about the Mantle tilt. Part of it is the way the card sits in the holder, but there is a very slight tilt to it. Corners on the card are monstrous though.

Dpeck - I think there are some undergraded cards in older flips, and undergraded/overgraded cards happen all the time. I have no clue what the percentage is, but let's say, due to human error, there is a 10% variance both ways in vintage.....not really due to error, just due to the range of subjectivity. That leaves a lot of cards that can be reviewed. Factor in PSA's natural harshness towards star cards and you have many cards that could possibly bump. I was 2 for 6 on this sub but these cards were pulled from hundreds that I thought were graded correctly and would not bump. I do, however, have a few more I think could bump, these were a test to see how they'd look at some of them.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    Due to the fact that both PSA and SGC have gotten stricter in the last few years, i think getting bumps will be very slim.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Due to the fact that both PSA and SGC have gotten stricter in the last few years, i think getting bumps will be very slim. >>

As long as there is a steady supply of pre-half grade cards and a steady supply of OCD collectors, there will always be bump attempts and some successes.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When considering cards for submission for regrades, I don't care when the card was originally graded. Both cards in my last 12 card submission that bumped were originally graded within the last year.

Awesome cards, Ron. Good thing they weren't damaged.

-Nathanael
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad cards were OK...

Congrats on the grades...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)