Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

All Brunk Counterstruck and Error fans: Curved Clip Error Buffalo Nickel with Countermark

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
I saw this in a shop over the weekend and thought it was interesting.

I have not seen a lot of clips on Buffalo nickels so that alone got me but the countermark I thought was very interesting.

"BULL" is counterstruck on the reverse of this nickel; and this got me because up to now I only seen "BULL" on one other coin, on my 1889CC Morgan Dollar.

I was told at the time that it was unlisted but I was hoping, since I have found another one, that someone might have seen this too.

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭
    neat nickel

a shame about your 89-cc morgan though

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    obviously different stamps, as i'm sure you're aware (serif vs sans serif)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>a shame about your 89-cc morgan though >>

that is actually why I bought the dollar. It has great color in hand and the countermark is quite intriguing.
  • Options
    actually it is a shame about the PMD on the buff now that i look closer.......Blakesly effect is there so obviously the clip is genuine, but aside from the c/s someone has started a hole in the Indian's eye on the obverse and the bison's tail on the reverse (you can see the eye gouge protruding through to the reverse as a bulge just below the bison)

interesting though i think both the buff nickel and morgan would be nicer if they were as minted

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    >>that is actually why I bought the dollar. It has great color in hand and the countermark is quite intriguing.>>

you seem like a 'glass half full' kind of guy......i'm sure the c/s allowed you to buy it for less than you would have otherwise

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmmmm...........kinky!
    Harvey Korman, "Blazing Saddles!"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very cool Buff!! And a 1924-D to boot!...image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Morgan. What is on the label of the ANACS cache? I was not aware that they slabbed counterstamped coins.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    This was in their white slab days, not sure about now.

Anyway it is slabbed as net 15 cleaned and countermarked. The cleaning is old but it is there; but otherwise a great coin in my eyes at least.
  • Options

<< <i>That is a very cool Buff!! And a 1924-D to boot!...image >>

I see a 1925d not 1924.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That is a very cool Buff!! And a 1924-D to boot!...image >>

I see a 1925d not 1924. >>

Picky, picky, picky!
    Pat Paulsen, The SMothers Brothers Show
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. The damage is unfortunate, but the coin is neat none the less.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file