Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BS eBay bidder...any recourse?

So I have a max bid of $351 on a card on eBay ending tonight:

Hanburger Helper

A few minutes ago the bid was around $200. Then someone knucklehead comes in and bids $300, then $400 (which outbid me), and then immediately retracts and bids $350, which puts me right up to my max. Obviously that was his intention. This sort of thing is obviously very much against eBay rules. I'm certain the seller had nothing to do with it, just an idiot bidder. And no I don't have any eBay enemies. Can I report this? I don't even know how to report infractions any more now that eBay has made bidders anonymous.
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I don't think you can :/ that's ebay abuse I've had it done to me before
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I know how you feel but it is not like he hacked your account and placed a bid above what you are willing to pay.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    You would be crazy to not retract your bid right this second.

Also helps to play this a$sholes hand and see if he then retracts his now winning bid or not.
  • Options
    If you don't think the seller had anything to do with it, then you deserve to pay $351.

This is a cut and dry case of shill bidding. It could not have been more obvious.

I doubt the seller would be stupid enough to use an account to which he can be connected, so nobody can ever prove a thing, at least not without expending financial resources to investigate that would exceed the value of the card.

But the buyer has feedback over 800, so it's not an inexperienced user. Probably one of the seller's college buddies who lives in another state or a facebook friend.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    If you don't think the seller had anything to do with it, then you deserve to pay $351.

This is a cut and dry case of shill bidding. It could not have been more obvious.

I doubt the seller would be stupid enough to use an account to which he can be connected, so nobody can ever prove a thing, at least not without expending financial resources to investigate that would exceed the value of the card.

But the buyer has feedback over 800, so it's not an inexperienced user. Probably one of the seller's college buddies who lives in another state or a facebook friend.

So you've eliminated the possibility that it's somebody with no connection to the seller who is running the price up for his own purposes? I sell a decent amount and it happens a sometimes on high end auctions with low pops. Just last month I had a guy do it on one of my items, but he wasn't as savvy as the guy in shagrotn's case and he ended up with the winning bid. Immediately after the auction ended he sent a message explaining he had no intention of paying and was just running the other guy up, so I should offer it to him. Naturally I filed a NPB case and he paid to avoid the strike.

I would think a guy with 800 feedback would be more likely to do that than to shill and risk his account being yanked.

Edit: Reasons for this would be A) They have the card and want to see it's value sustain, or B) To make a registry competitor pay more. I'm sure there are others that I can't think of.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I would retract my bid and then see what this guy does. The act itself would piss me off!
  • Options

<< <i>So you've eliminated the possibility that........ >>

Yeah, you're right, I hadn't thought of any of those things.... so yeah, it might not be shill bidding by the dictionary definition of the term, but it's extremely shady no matter what it is.

shagrotn can't retract his bid anymore because of new ebay rules, but he can inform the seller, who can still cancel bids up until the end of the auction.

Perhaps the seller will realize how shady this looks and cancel all bids from the 805-feedback bidder, although this would cost him a significant amount of change.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    but it's extremely shady no matter what it is.

Yeah it sucks any way you slice it. I like Matt's idea of retracting the bid and see what happens just for fun.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>shagrotn can't retract his bid anymore because of new ebay rules, but he can inform the seller, who can still cancel bids up until the end of the auction. >>

I immediately contacted the seller and recommended that he cancel all of bidder 805's bids.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    In addition to that, I'd ask the seller for the bidder's account name.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In addition to that, I'd ask the seller for the bidder's account name. >>

I wouldn't.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Looks like the point is moot, as someone else has bid $356.00. maybe that's good for you ... stay away from an item when crap starts happening.

FYI: I know you did not say anything bad about the seller, but I want to add that I bought several items from that seller a few years ago and don't believe I ever had a problem.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I should also note that I never expected $351 to stick as the winning bid. Now that I've been outbid, I'll see if this 805 idiot comes back in. Was thinking about sniping, but not any more. Just gonna watch from the sidelines.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Guy simply wanted to see what the high bid was.

No shilling here.

Sucks if Shag really wanted that card.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I won't be shocked to see this eclipse $450 so the $351 is probably moot...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closed at $467.00.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    A nice 30%+ jump over the previous high for this card. I won't be surprised to see another couple pop up and approach $600 if he gets elected to the Hall this Saturday and the pop report will probably increase from the current level of 19 PSA 8's. If he doesn't get elected, the card will probably revert back to the $300-350 level.
  • Options

<< <i>I won't be shocked to see this eclipse $450 so the $351 is probably moot... >>

A moot point, yes, but also completely beside the point. The seller did the right thing and canceled said bidder's bids.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I won't be shocked to see this eclipse $450 so the $351 is probably moot... >>

A moot point, yes, but also completely beside the point. The seller did the right thing and canceled said bidder's bids. >>

I concur and think you understood where I was coming from. The bidder retracting his multiple bids should be spanked. There's no need for such activity. Either bid or don't, but there's no need to "find" the current ceiling. It only makes the seller look shady and may cost the seller money in the long run.

Should the bidder be a board member, please know that such actions are not acceptable despite the reasonable 800+ feedback number.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I saw where the guy who won currently has 809 FB, is this the same guy?
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    No, if you scroll down you'll see the bids that the seller canceled, and it's a different bidder name. The 805-feedback bidder who was playing games never returned to bid again after having his bids canceled. Seller probably blocked him.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    No.