Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1961 Malaya and British Borneo KN/ Royal Mint. 5 Cent.

This one's way cool and I'm wondering if it's ever been reported before.

This coin is a spectacular gem that came from some sort of old mint set but
I don't recall the packaging as it was just stored in the cut up mylar all these
years. Rather than having a very small and very bold "KN" centered between
and above the 9 and 6 of the date the letters were just etched in the die by
hand. They are not crude but obviously added by hand and rather faint.

I don't know who issued the mint set and this might appear in all of them. I
wouldn't have even noticed the alterration except the coin is so gemmy that
the slightest disruption stands out.
Tempus fugit.

Comments

• mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Generally KN is the mint mark that was used by the King's Norton mint, which minted coins on and off from 1919 or so (when they minted some English pennies) until the early 2000's (when I think they just made Euro blanks). They did mint quite a few coins for various small British Commonwealth countries during this time period.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Generally KN is the mint mark that was used by the King's Norton mint, which minted coins on and off from 1919 or so (when they minted some English pennies) until the early 2000's (when I think they just made Euro blanks). They did mint quite a few coins for various small British Commonwealth countries during this time period. >>

Yes.

There were probably a million of the 1961 Malayan 5c's minted at King's Norton with
    the KN mintmark. I don't know where this one was minted but it was most probably
    at the Royal Mint. Unlike the others minted at the Royal Mint though this one has a
    "KN" carved lightly into the die exactly where the KN mintmark would be and is of the
    same size.

This is apparently the same sort of horseplay as is exhibited on the superbird wash-
    ington quarter or the high and low leaf Wisconsin quarters.

It's really cool and really constitutes a fourth mintmark for this issue.
    Tempus fugit.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, CK, the Royal Mint is and was not immune from horseplay when it comes to little things such as this. In fact, this was the point I brought out with the Cayman Islands 1986-88 proof sets in an earlier post. And this is not to mention all the wild concoctions, even including striking pennies in gold, double obv. and double rev. coins, etc. in this 1961+ era.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.