Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the current buy price for circulated silver 1860s-1940s?

Coins pulled from circulation from the 1940s-60s?

I'm picking up the 100+/- Large Cents in approximately 15 hours. Included in the group are rolls of coins pulled from circulation in the 1940s-60s: Lafayette Dollars, Trade Dollars, Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars, Seated Liberties, Barbers, IHC, V's, Commemoratives (several Columbians), etc. There are no Buffalo's, wheats, Roosies, or Washingtons in the group. Not sure about Franklins, but I doubt any are included. There are a few rolls of Mercuries. I know he has rolls of IHCs and Vs, as well as dimes, quarters, halves and dollars. What is the going "BUY" price for circulated coins from this period? He stated that all have clear dates. There's approximately $125-$200 face in silver.
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    ...anyone?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to get about 19 times face for common 90% silver coins.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long is the lay over in Hong Kong Larry?
  • Options

<< <i>How long is the lay over in Hong Kong Larry? >>

It's an hour-and-half drive for me... image I hope there's good... no, make that GREAT stuff there tomorrow! I leave in 10 hours; I'm getting anxious!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

It's an hour-and-half drive for me... image I hope there's good... no, make that GREAT stuff there tomorrow! I leave in 10 hours; I'm getting anxious! >>

I really was hinting to be very careful of counterfeits a couple of the ones you mention in the OP are prone to that especially the Lafayette Dollars, Trade Dollars, Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars, Seated Liberties.
  • Options
    Im buying at 16.5 right now. Thats kind of on the low side but, I am not trying to take a bath.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's an hour-and-half drive for me... image I hope there's good... no, make that GREAT stuff there tomorrow! I leave in 10 hours; I'm getting anxious! >>

I really was hinting to be very careful of counterfeits a couple of the ones you mention in the OP are prone to that especially the Lafayette Dollars, Trade Dollars, Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars, Seated Liberties. >>

It's a family friend... he won't take advantage of me and I won't take advantage of him. I'm actually giving him "some" money tomorrow ($5k) and will pay him a fair amount once I learn the true value of the coins. He has a little bit of everything... colonials, commemoratives, US and World Silver and Gold, etc. He collected postal history for decades, which put his coin collecting on the back burner. He hasn't added any new coins since 1973. Obviously, everything is raw. If there are any counterfeits, they would have to be from the 1960s or earlier... maybe there's a few 1964-D Peace Dollars? image
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Are there any U.S. silver coins from the 1860s that would be sold at (X) times (face) value? You need to look at each coin, imo.

Do you mean 1960 or 1860 ? No one just sells 1860s in bulk lots ??
  • Options

<< <i>Are there any U.S. silver coins from the 1860s that would be sold at (X) times (face) value? You need to look at each coin, imo.

Do you mean 1960 or 1860 ? No one just sells 1860s in bulk lots ?? >>

Was looking for a baseline value to give him some money tomorrow. I'll make him whole once I learn what he has (I'll take the lot to St. Louis to see if there's anything special). Since the coins have been stored in a SDB since 1973, I'm hoping some of the coins toned wildly... with my luck, probably not, but I can still dream!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file