Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why do auction descriptions tell more about a coins history but so little about the actual coin bein

Am I alone is wanting to know more about what the catalogers see and think of the coin being offered than pop reports and other information we can easily look up?

Opinions?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many auction descriptions are quite involved....but some are not.

Its all about "what" they are selling.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Coins are all about history. If you don't want the history, buy copper, silver and gold rounds.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hype.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The auction house wants the lots to sell. Many of the lots aren't particularly nice for their grades, so it's in their (and the owner's) interest to steer the bidder's attention elsewhere.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    They want you to buy the fantasy, and sometimes the history.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because all that history verbage is cut and paste [ie: free], the verbage about the actual coin most likely has to be original [ie: time and money].
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Because all that history verbage is cut and paste [ie: free], the verbage about the actual coin most likely has to be original [ie: time and money]. >>

Verbage...jargon /ver'b*j/ A deliberate misspelling and mispronunciation of verbiage that assimilates it to the word "garbage". image

Most coins are not rare and, frankly, not all that special. But most coins are tangible pieces of history. It's the story that makes the coin more interesting and sets it apart from all the other coins. And a history that provides details about a particular coin's provenance is a nice way to trace a coin in previous auction catalogs and, if it was plated, see how the coin has appeared and been described over the years.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Would you believe what they said about a coin's condition?
    Remember, their goal is to get as high a price as possible for it.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Here are some very succinct answers:

1) As already mentioned in the thread it's easier for the cataloger because the history is readily available 99.9% of the time.
    2) The history often lures buyers that need to feel, for lack of a better word, the romance that comes from getting to know a new potential acquisition.
    3) If you are an auction company, you are hired by the seller to make your best effort to get top dollar. A thorough and honest description will often require mentioning attributes that might scare off some potential buyers.
    4) Even a solid effort by an experienced numismatist to describe a coin in great detail, will not have the same interpretation to others in many cases.
    5) A very detailed description could give an absentee bidder grounds on which to argue that the coin was not properly described, in their opinion.
    7) Very few experienced collectors and virtually no dealers completely trust descriptions. I personally don't trust images either. I trust what I hold and see with my own eyes.

None of this is meant to discredit auction companies. I think most do a fine job.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I ran an auction company, I would put a lot of effort in providing good images and very little effort into describing things that are obvious in the images.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's stories about the coin you want, there are plenty of dealers that will take care of this for you. It's what they do. image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file