Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Low Mintage of 2010 America the Beautiful Quarters

I was looking at the mint production figures for 2010 and the quarters have a really low mintage, only 347 million across all 5. I haven't seen much posted about this, but is this going to be considered a key year, and would it be wise to buy a 2 roll set from the mint of each park from the mint to hold on to? Is anybody else keeping rolls of these? Mintage Figures

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    Even if everyone in the country wanted one, there would still be ~50 million left over. Not what I would call a key.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Only one design would be left over, they only made 35 million of each design and mint mark for a total of 70 million per park. Just curious, it seemed low for a modern issue.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even if everyone in the country wanted one, there would still be ~50 million left over >>

Not quite. That number is across 5 designs and 2 mints. Each design and mint mark combination averages 34.7M each. If 10% of the country wanted one, there would still be 4.7M each left over.

If I was able to get BU rolls from my bank, I would get a few dozen and hang on to them to see what happens.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally with moderns the higher the mintage the better. Best is when mintage
    isn't extremely high but increases the next year and the year after. This means the
    date will enter circulation rapidly since the mint ad FED rotate their coin stocks. Ideal
    is when this date also has generally poor quality and you can locate choice or gem
    coins to set aside.

It's a good idea to set aside a few rolls of everything and then if it doesn't go up in
    four to six years then just pull the choice coins out and spend the bulk of them. Don't
    hold onto losers or inflation will destroy the value.

Some of these recnt low mintages could be low enough to actually be worth something
    on the basis of being low mintage. It depends on the distribution pattern and wheter
    thy are getting set aside. With such small mintages they can all get released in smaller
    regions like Puerto Rico and worn before they are recognized as tough.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    You could always try going to a few banks and seeing if they have any rolls of 'em. Doubtful, but possible. If you can get them at face, seems like a win-win to me.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Generally with moderns the higher the mintage the better. Best is when mintage
    isn't extremely high but increases the next year and the year after. This means the
    date will enter circulation rapidly since the mint ad FED rotate their coin stocks. Ideal
    is when this date also has generally poor quality and you can locate choice or gem
    coins to set aside.

It's a good idea to set aside a few rolls of everything and then if it doesn't go up in
    four to six years then just pull the choice coins out and spend the bulk of them. Don't
    hold onto losers or inflation will destroy the value.

Some of these recnt low mintages could be low enough to actually be worth something
    on the basis of being low mintage. It depends on the distribution pattern and wheter
    thy are getting set aside. With such small mintages they can all get released in smaller
    regions like Puerto Rico and worn before they are recognized as tough. >>

Thanks Cladking for the great information!
  • Options
    I was seeing them regularly and some days three and four , i had all five and multiples til Christmas arrived and i'd left them on a desk after checking conditions , yep..kid's spent them for me and i havn't seen one since.
    That's the strange thing , not a one , but in the last week i've had 6 or 7 1776-1976 quarters , 3 of them today.
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    To be fair it still is a low mintage and they are much nicer looking than the state quarters. I feel that if we weren't saturated with so many moderns then this series would be a real winner. Either way, I think I may just give this series a shot (as I won't spend much) just for the joy of collecting. A completed set of these would look real nice in my opinion.

As for the low mintage, hopefully it stays low. It makes it just that much nicer with at least a shot of future worth.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I have a few, but don't expect much. As the nation moves cashless, maybe 30 million is plenty of quarters.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a few, but don't expect much. As the nation moves cashless, maybe 30 million is plenty of quarters. >>

If 30 million get saved then forget it. The price could get high but can't stay high.

Even if 2 million get saved it won't be very exciting.

But it is vaguely posible that most of an issue can get into circulation. People have
    a tendency not to bother to save stuff they see a lot of so these can get all released
    in small areas and overlooked. This is improbable so I wouldn't expect too much
    either.

If you can latch onto some gems though you can be in for a very pleasant surprise.
    Many moderns are very poor quality and gems can account for a tiny percentage of the
    entire issue. If the entire issue is only 30,000,000 coins a tiny percentge can be quite
    scarce and many of these scarce coins will end up in circulation.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file