Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who does the Red Book prices on Seated quarters?

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
The prices for Seated quarters badly need updating. (I don't actually have the 2011 book, so maybe someone who does can check the numbers?)

Some excerpts of outdated prices from the 2010 Red Book:

1851-P in XF40 lists at $200.

1852-O in VF-20 lists at $700.

1853 No Arrows in XF: $1,400

1859-S in VF lists for $375 (a major dealer was asking over $5k for a PCGS VF-30 last year).

1867-P business strike in AU-50: $850.

1871-S in VF-20 lists at $900. I will buy every one in existence at that price.

1873, No Arrows, Open 3 at $450 in MS-60.

1878-S in VF-20 at $400. I think I just saw a VF offered at $1250 or so by a major dealer.

None of these coins can be purchased from a reputable dealer at these price levels. These are just a few of the most extreme examples, but the whole price list appears to need attention. The Red Book value has traditionally been 10 to 20% above fair market on most common coins, not below dealer buy prices. Anyone here object?

Comments

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    At those prices, I will take them all.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    It must be one of the dealers discussed in the other thread, "Even a monkey can be a coin dealer".---------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the exception of the 71-s in VF you listed, all those other prices are within 10% of the price from the 2008 redbook. Many getting token $25 bumps.

The 2 most widely used priced guides, Redbook and Coin Dealer Newsletter, are the ones off the most. The PCGS price guide and CoinWorld Coin Values were somewhat decent
    when it came to better date seated. For those in the know, and especially seated coin dealers, having the price guides in disarray helps to feed their buying. This makes the coins more buyable at the bottom of the dealer chain as these coins show up in coin shops. But I think the majority of these better dates were cherry picked years ago and socked away by various collectors, dealers, and investors.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    The problem is that the prices aren't even close to what the market sells them for. I understand having a few some variation, but they are so far off I can't even understand what's going on here. I agree with what has been said, I will pay those prices all day long!
  • Options
    I don't know, but who buys a red book?
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully, Dentuck will see this thread. He has a certain pull with the RB evaluators.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    is that a 1985 redbook ?
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file