Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advice on Mercury dime****** ( Correct pic uploaded)

FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking for opinions from the Mercury dime experts. I purchased a small group of very nice Mercury dimes recently.
Although high grade most aren't worth the cost of certification. I was wondering about this one.
This is the most difficult coin I've ever tried to photograph. The luster is blinding, I had to mute it for the pic.
I believe it is full bands but I'm not a Merc. guy.

Just wondering what the opinions would be.

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    With the rub on the neck it would probably go 64. It does look like a full band, but there is something going on right at the center.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to tell from the pic, but the bands look full unless those are hits going across them in the middle. They look like they could be toning.

As far as grade 63-65 depending on how it looks in hand.

The 39-D is one of the most common Mercs even in high grade.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid the rub on the reverse would drop this coin to an AU58, and there appears to be a hit right across the bands.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like it has nice skin, but the 1939-D is quite generic.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks fairly nice but I just can't tell from the pics. The center of the center bands looks like it has a few hits...just can't tell if it is FB or not but if I HAD TO GUESS I would say yes....larger pics of the bands would allow us to decide fairly easy. As for the grade, I think we need better pics.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    My guess is that it would grade MS64, possibly MS65 and not full bands (due to the hits across the bands). Consequently, it would not be worth the cost to get it graded.
  • Options
    Wow I was sort of puzzled by some of the responses. I finally realized I uploaded the wrong pic.

Here is the one I meant to post. It may not be any better but it is the one I intended.
    The pics are muted so you can see the coin. The luster is outstanding.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1937 Merc looks like a proof, is it?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1937 Merc looks like a proof, is it? >>

image What you seeing as luster might be proof surface. Will add that many older collections used Proof coins in the P mint slot for a date and mint mark set.
  • Options
    I don't think it's a proof. That was my first impression because the luster was so strong.
    It shows definite cartwheel luster though. I assume a proof would not cartwheel like this coin.
    I took these diffuse lighting pics because the luster was so hard to photograph.
    I can post some luster shots in a while. My son is dragging me outside at the moment.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    There is no way to provide a meaningful grade guess, based on those images.
  • Options

<< <i>There is no way to provide a meaningful grade guess, based on those images. >>

+1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file