Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1900-O Barber Half Question

2 questions actually.

What grade do you assign to this coin and...

In the PCGS price guide they have:
MS4 MS12 MS30 MS40 MS60 but i thought anything less than MS60 was then dropped into the AU grading or Good..Fine..VF..XF..etc...

Thanks for looking

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a G6 to me. It appears in this case that PCGS uses the MS title for all business strike coins.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. It looks like a Good-6 to me, too. Not enough details left (though close) for a VG-8.

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    g4. In spite of the 2 letters and 2 half letters in liberty the coin has g4 wear otherwise the reverse ribbon is not any better then 4 in my view. image
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    G6 due to the 3 letters and strong rims both sides.
    More overall detail would be required for VG8. Some barbers wear oddly.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I have always loved that date & mint... "Oh When the Saints Go Marching In" was written in New Orleans about that same year... as a yn in the 1980s, I sought out a 1900-O Barber half for my collection for its connection to that song... I still have it & it looks about like yours.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    VG8
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    VG8

Doug
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think you need to worry about the PCGS price guide as that will not grade at PCGS scratched down the face.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a commercial VG-8 and I wouldn't slab it, but they might slab it at that grade level with a scratch.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    "I do not think you need to worry about the PCGS price guide as that will not grade at PCGS scratched down the face"

dont want to slab it...just trying to figure a price so i can sell it and another like it.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"I do not think you need to worry about the PCGS price guide as that will not grade at PCGS scratched down the face"

dont want to slab it...just trying to figure a price so i can sell it and another like it. >>

Red Book says about $16.00 for a G4. Edited to add that is a little more than double of melt value.
  • Options
    Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    ok thanks much!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file