Options

Holmes IV

raysrays Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
Starts in 1 hr 15 min!

688 lots of beautiful late dates

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Admittedly, I've been laying low for the past couple of months...but where's the hype for this? The previous Holmes large cent sales have been off the charts. Yet this is the first I've heard of Holmes IV happening today.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the earlier coins are a lot more sexy.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you think it went unnoticed you should visit the site now like me, eagerly anticipating my pitiful bids being passed!!!image most of the sale prices are double the estimates.
  • Options
    Lot #32 was an 1842 Proof; the starting price was $3,999 and the pre-sale estimate was $8,000. it sold for $18,000 plus the $3,600 juice!!image
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't won any lots yet

I thought I had a chance on lot 76:

1844/81 in PCGS MS63BN. "estimate" $2000
    I bid $4K

Sold for $5500 hammer
  • Options
    i watched a few lots i had an interest in, nothing really big, and the bids just flew past what i thought was reasonable. i'm not even going to watch the rest of the sale. i will say this much, some of the coins are just lovely, clean with smooth surfaces. i tried to be picky about what i wanted to bid on and apparently i picked the right coins but so did everyone else.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see what effects Holmes' hammer prices have on late date large cents. Will the common varieties with dates in the 1850 - 1856 range stay cheap in MS grades or start to move up?
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>It will be interesting to see what effects Holmes' hammer prices have on late date large cents. Will the common varieties with dates in the 1850 - 1856 range stay cheap in MS grades or start to move up? >>

I hope they start to move up... and move up drastically, effective tomorrow! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    "Holmes ... IV the holidays...."
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Holmes ... IV the holidays...." >>

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It will be interesting to see what effects Holmes' hammer prices have on late date large cents. >>

My prediction is absolutely none.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, historically the earlier dates got all the attention (and money).....so I was hoping to snag a few of the nice early-late dates at a reasonable price - hah! I was already out of the running via the internet bidding yesterday and last night....I don't want to think about what they materialized during the live auction image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of drawing scorn...I think many of the coins went for too much and you can buy better examples (of some of them) for less money at the EAC dealers tables in Long Beach.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    I wish the Goldberg’s didn't manipulated the auction estimates they were easily too low by at least 50%

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file