Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Padded Mailers Grow on Trees :)

Comments

• Options
    Pretty interesting, works well for a larger lot of cards I guess.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    And how deep in debt is the USPS? I guess it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And how deep in debt is the USPS? I guess it doesn't matter. >>

This was my first thought.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a pretty good deal, and a nice alternative to the small flat rate boxes. I just ordered a 15-pack.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to my google searching, the Postmaster General's annual salary, plus perks and bonuses...how he gets a 6-figure bonus is beyond me, however...he grabs us for $850k per year.

To cover the Postmaster's cost to us, we must purchase a bit over 1,931,818 first class stamps. Perhaps a more eye-popping stat is that he makes right at $409 per hour. Nice gig.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered a 15 pack; Thank you Patrick!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info just ordered 15.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    It probably costs them 10 cents a piece to have made. Dunno how much they are charging but you can be sure its for more than 1.50. I think its a great idea for USPS to generate cash. Although Im sure it wont slow down the rate increases.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't say 4 sure but using those padded env you must send priority and not 1st class.
    That in itself raises revenue.

Postmaster $850K .....Since when has any level of gov't had to balance its books and pay its people based on true value or
    worth? Just tack it on to the deficit. The usps is probably one of your better departments.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Those are flat-rate priority mailers - $4.95 postage. Not really worth the "free" bubble mailer, IMO.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    They're free because it's almost always a waste of money to use one. People are going to spend $4.95 to use one when they could buy their own bubble mailer and then only spend $2 on postage. Unless I start shipping flat pieces of gold, I don't think I'd ever have the need for one.
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes priority is needed. I ordered 15 free ones, Thanks Patrick for pointing it out.

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    These mailers would be perfect to ship small sets and lots. Since it costs FREE to give it a try, I'm giving it a try. Those small Flat Rate boxes are nice, but you really can't fit that many cards in them. I've been selling these small 100-card sets lately (1989 & 1990 Upper Deck high # Sets) and if I sell more than one to the same buyer, that bumps the shipping cost into the Priority Mail range. With these new padded mailers, I could probably fit 3 or 4 sets in them and still have room for extra bubble wrap, as opposed to only fitting two sets into the small Flat Rate boxes.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Folks . . . this isn't anything new (actually the bubble mailers are) as the USPS has offered the Priority Mail packaging FREE for years. And they'll deliver it to you for FREE!

Now, the interesting part is that several here feel the need to order them. Have you stopped to think what you're going to send in them that you wouldn't have used a Priority Mail box or 1st Class to send? I'm guessing most will end up using them as packaging material.

Years ago, people used to get the PM boxes, assemble them inside out and use them to ship 1st Class, then the PO started stamping the inside cardboard.

Anyway, the drawback to this is that people are going to cost the USPS money by ordering these (and other supplies) that they have no intention of using for the designed purpose.
  • Options
    I use these Flat Rate boxes ALL the time, and it is ALWAYS cheaper for me to use these compared to plain boxes. Baseball cards can get real heavy real quick. Anything over a pound will cost about the same as it does to ship in a small flat rate package. 200 cards weighs a little over a pound.

I have flat rate and regular priority mail boxes shipped to my house all the time, and I have all shapes and sizes. I actually use them too. image
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    I've been ordering and using the boxes for a couple of years. Glad to see they offer the new bubble mailer, as Jeff said, they are going to be useful.

------
    stupid print dots

• Options

<< <i>I've been ordering and using the boxes for a couple of years. Glad to see they offer the new bubble mailer, as Jeff said, they are going to be useful. >>

Yes , they will be useful for SOME.
  • Options
    Has anyone else noticed that ever since USPS started promoting flat rate boxes that it's impossible to find any non-flat rate Priority boxes without specifically requesting them?

There are several Priority box sizes available for free that are larger than the tiny "small" flat rate box, but smaller than the ultra-expensive "medium" flat rate box.

The only way to get them now is to order them online and wait for delivery.

I find it idiotic that a "medium" flat rate box should cost $10.70 just because it has the words "flat rate" printed on the outside when it would be $4-5 cheaper if shipped by weight/distance. I can envision a lot of people either turning these boxes inside out or smothering them with Priority stickers to conceal the "flat rate" designation.

USPS is just taking advantage of people who don't know better, which is most people, unfortunately. Someone who has to ship something that is light but too large to fit in the smallest flat rate box will end up paying $10.70 almost every time. It's a good scam perpetrated by a government whose main function is pulling off scams.
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone else noticed that ever since USPS started promoting flat rate boxes that it's impossible to find any non-flat rate Priority boxes without specifically requesting them?

There are several Priority box sizes available for free that are larger than the tiny "small" flat rate box, but smaller than the ultra-expensive "medium" flat rate box.

The only way to get them now is to order them online and wait for delivery.

I find it idiotic that a "medium" flat rate box should cost $10.70 just because it has the words "flat rate" printed on the outside when it would be $4-5 cheaper if shipped by weight/distance. I can envision a lot of people either turning these boxes inside out or smothering them with Priority stickers to conceal the "flat rate" designation.

USPS is just taking advantage of people who don't know better, which is most people, unfortunately. Someone who has to ship something that is light but too large to fit in the smallest flat rate box will end up paying $10.70 almost every time. It's a good scam perpetrated by a government whose main function is pulling off scams. >>

At my USPS they have stacks of the non flat rate boxes, never have had any issues :S
  • Options

In debt? Someone needs to get their facts straight... While the USPS was set up to be a "break even" operation, they have profited nearly $1,000,000,000/year over the past 5 years.

From an article by Robert Longley, About.com (About the U.S. Postal Service - A Very "Business-like" Semi-governmental Agency):

"Under federal law, only the Postal Service can handle or charge postage for handling letters. Despite this virtual monopoly worth some $45 billion a year, the law does not require that the Postal Service make a profit -- only break even. Still, the US Postal Service has averaged a profit of over $1 billion per year in each of the last five years. Yet, Postal Service officials argue that they must continue to raise postage at regular intervals in order make up for the increased use of email."
  • Options
    Not around here. In my area, it's flat rate or nothing.
  • Options

<< <i>

In debt? Someone needs to get their facts straight... While the USPS was set up to be a "break even" operation, they have profited nearly $1,000,000,000/year over the past 5 years.

From an article by Robert Longley, About.com (About the U.S. Postal Service - A Very "Business-like" Semi-governmental Agency):

"Under federal law, only the Postal Service can handle or charge postage for handling letters. Despite this virtual monopoly worth some $45 billion a year, the law does not require that the Postal Service make a profit -- only break even. Still, the US Postal Service has averaged a profit of over $1 billion per year in each of the last five years. Yet, Postal Service officials argue that they must continue to raise postage at regular intervals in order make up for the increased use of email." >>

From the GAO website;

USPS has reported that the declining economy accelerated declines in mail volume in fiscal year 2008 and flattened revenues despite postal rate increases. In fiscal year 2008, mail volume fell by 9.5 billion pieces, fuel prices increased costs by over $500 million, and cost-of-living allowances for postal employees increased costs by $560 million. Cutting costs by $2 billion--primarily by cutting over 50 million work hours--did not close the gap between revenues and expenses. Thus, USPS recorded a loss of $2.8 billion for fiscal year 2008. Its debt increased by $3 billion by the end of the year to $7.2 billion. USPS's outlook for fiscal year 2009 has become more pessimistic. USPS projects a volume decline of 10 billion to 15 billion pieces, another loss, and $3 billion more in debt. At this pace, USPS could reach its $15 billion statutory debt limit by fiscal year 2011. In the short term, several options could assist USPS through its difficulties, some of which would require congressional action.
  • Options
    Since they are free I could use them to bundle some of my larger items and then put them in a box,it saves a little on using up my bubble wrap.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use these Flat Rate boxes ALL the time, and it is ALWAYS cheaper for me to use these compared to plain boxes. >>

you got completely screwed if it is over 8 oz or so, costs and extra 7 bucks...just happened to me last week
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I find it idiotic that a "medium" flat rate box should cost $10.70 just because it has the words "flat rate" printed on the outside when it would be $4-5 cheaper if shipped by weight/distance. >>

Then in that instance one should NOT use the flat rate box. One can use any box and ship priority.

Luckily I still have regular priority boxes in different sizes. In the cases where I don't have the non flat rate one

and find it cheaper to send regular priority (for lack of a better term) I simply use my own box.

As for the mailers that the OP has showed, I may order a 15 pack, you never know when it will come in handy.

Crazy I find it idiotic too by the way.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Then in that instance one should NOT use the flat rate box. One can use any box and ship priority. >>

I realize that, but sometimes another box is not available, particularly for someone who doesn't frequently use package services.

A lot of inexperienced people just take stuff to the post office and pack it there using whatever supplies they can get their hands on. In locations where only flat rate boxes are available, the consumer gets screwed.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I use the flat rate boxes all the time to ship.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i> In locations where only flat rate boxes are available, the consumer gets screwed. >>

I hate cardboard blackout areas, you can always go black market...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Then in that instance one should NOT use the flat rate box. One can use any box and ship priority. >>

I realize that, but sometimes another box is not available, particularly for someone who doesn't frequently use package services.

A lot of inexperienced people just take stuff to the post office and pack it there using whatever supplies they can get their hands on. In locations where only flat rate boxes are available, the consumer gets screwed. >>

Let's make excuses for people getting screwed because they fail to plan ahead and are gullible. Just wait until the last minute and blame it on someone or something else. Since when did the PO become ANYONE'S packaging center?
  • Options

<< <i>Let's make excuses for people getting screwed because they fail to plan ahead and are gullible. Just wait until the last minute and blame it on someone or something else. Since when did the PO become ANYONE'S packaging center? >>

The education system in this country has been run into the ground, and most people haven't been informed on how to get the best shipping rate. They also haven't ever been shown how to obtain the proper information to educate themselves. So they're in a position of ignorance through no fault of their own. It's not about lack of planning or gullibility.

All the post office has to do is put out non-flat rate Priority boxes, which they give away for free to anyone who actually knows to ask for them, to not exploit these people financially.
  • Options
    What would you do if there were no USPS?

(insert your answer here)

Then go do that and quit your whining.
  • Options

<< <i>What would you do if there were no USPS?

(I'd use UPS and Fedex)

Then go do that and quit your whining. >>

Apparently some people are missing the point, which is that it benefits USPS to limit the availability of certain shipping materials, because doing so results in uneducated people getting the short end of the stick. It's just one more example of "ordinary" people getting exploited by those in power.
  • Options
    Crazy it's a conspiracy. These guys here have no idea. I'm wearing my tin foil cap.

Put yours on.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Crazy it's a conspiracy. These guys here have no idea. I'm wearing my tin foil cap.

Put yours on. >>

I've been wearing mine for the last 29 years. image
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    A Priority bubble mailer? WTF for? That's stupid.....
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

"Under federal law, only the Postal Service can handle or charge postage for handling letters. Despite this virtual monopoly worth some $45 billion a year, the law does not require that the Postal Service make a profit -- only break even. Still, the US Postal Service has averaged a profit of over $1 billion per year in each of the last five years. Yet, Postal Service officials argue that they must continue to raise postage at regular intervals in order make up for the increased use of email." >>

Is that right? Then why are they trying to buy out contracts of union employees? Just because they want people to retire early and still give them pension?

No. It's because they're losing money daily and they can automate everything.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A Priority bubble mailer? WTF for? That's stupid..... >>

There are a few reasons this is good news.

The mailer will fit more cards than the small rate box.

You can place a small rate box inside of the mailer for added protection and decrease chance of loss.

Magazines and small programs which do not qualify for Media can go inside -- some weigh more than First-Class allowance of 13 ounces.

(Though you're not supposed to) you could use them and cut them up to fit and protect raw cards sent in an envelope.

• Options

<< <i> You can place a small rate box inside of the mailer for added protection and decrease chance of loss. >>

If you get caught you may have to pay another flat rate fee.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> You can place a small rate box inside of the mailer for added protection and decrease chance of loss. >>

If you get caught you may have to pay another flat rate fee.

Steve >>

But, but, but,........

They're not allowed to open mail!

Unless it's media mail. image
  • Options
    Who said anything about them opening mail?

Is it quite possible that a machine tears it and they find out that way?

Good for you.
  • Options
    I guess if Longley say's it it's true.

Good for you.