Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Aztec Carved Mexican Onza/Libertads

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
An interesting piece from my collection that I imaged today. Was made into a pendant (not by me). I Love the intricate carving on this one.

AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    Thought that looked familiar...

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    image DOH! And I thought I had somethine unique! Must have been mass produced.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>Must have been mass produced. >>

Looks that way, doesn't it? image

I got this one in a large lot of coins & misc. stuff years ago and wondered about that. So now, I know.
  • Options
    I have one almost the same but instead of a bird on the other side I have an Indian with a headdress
  • Options

<< <i>I have one almost the same but instead of a bird on the other side I have an Indian with a headdress >>

Anything like this?

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭
    i have always thought this one was neat

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Carved coins are among many souvenirs made by locals for sale to tourists, particularly adjacent to most of the larger Mayan and Aztec ruins. They also carve little statues of interesting parts of the ruins in soft stone or wood. Much as the ancient Greeks and Romans did, the local artisan boss puts a large model in the center of some carvers and they work from the model. They are paid based on what they sell less cost of materials and a hefty cut for the boss.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file