Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

So I just took a shot in the dark... *Updated /w Pics*

Purchased 3 of "1909-1979" surprise packs them, gonna see how I fair... Has anyone else purchased from this seller before any words to say about it?

------------------
LMK If there is anything even worth something in this bad of a condition here. Was fun to open and see what I got image
Got some older mini cards and just some weird stuff. Condition was pretty rough all around.
This was basically 3 lots, I spent like $27 for this randomness.

I think this is actually an auto, since it already has the script writing that was printed on the card - anyone know if it is worth anything?

Comments

• I bought a pack of 86 fleer from this guy off ebay(stupid I know) and it was resealed. The order of the cards and wear on the cards was a dead giveaway. Needless to say, I will never purchase from him again.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    We could do a group rip. . .
  • Oh wow your first post image Lurker! I'll make sure to leave feedback accordingly, if I don't feel the pack is what he "guarantees" (half of the cards earlier than 1970) I will leave feedback accordingly.... I make so few purchases on ebay I expect people to actually hold to their words.

*edit- mullin

I pushed my luck and bought the one 84 fleer, got the Marino which is into psa right now I'm hoping for a 9+ image

Should organize a bit more modern rip imo, maybe some key 90's rookie, manning or jeter or someone, I know those boxes aren't too bad.
  • mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain the math behind this statement to me? Shipping is $2.00 BTW.

"*EACH $7.95 BID WILL HAVE AT LEAST TEN (10) CARDS WITH APPROXIMATELY HALF OF THE CARDS DATING FROM THE 1920'S TO 1970'S! THAT'S A MEER 50 CENTS PER CARD AND IF YOU TAKE POSTAGE INTO COUNT IT IS ABOUT .30 CENTS PER CARD!!"

------
    stupid print dots

• It's ok, maybe I will get some good cards if he's not that smart.
  • My guess is that you will definitely land a Bowman Mantle.

• << <i>My guess is that you will definitely land a Bowman Mantle. >>

I'll paypal you $100 if I do image
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    The problem with taking a shot in the dark is that it's always creeping up on you.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After this, you might want to try one of those auctions for a few lots of unsearched Wheat cents, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those who shoot in the dark tend to shoot themselves in the foot.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• It's 10 bucks, figure I can get a few cards. Watch when I come back saying I got the bowman mantle image
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of those kinds of auctions Sean.

It's a great way to get rid of a lot of cards tho.

Good luck - who knows - ya may hit one of his "hot" lots.
    Mike
  • It's 10 bucks, figure I can get a few cards. A good attitude so if you do get something of value it will be an extra bonus.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Hi Sean,

Probably a rip off, but it is only $10 and with the proper attitude, what the heck same as playing the lottery!

Good luck, I hope you get something of value and a little fun.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • I do too, I figure I'll be making some contests to get rid of some team lots lol.

Purchased 3 lots, maybe I'll get something decent.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought a piece of wood that a seller on ebay claimed came from the Cross of Christ.

I think I may have a bad habit of falling for those con artist tricks from the Middle Ages.

• << <i>I just bought a piece of wood that a seller on ebay claimed came from the Cross of Christ.

I think I may have a bad habit of falling for those con artist tricks from the Middle Ages. >>

I'll make sure to video tape the burning of the phillies I get.

<< <i>

<< <i>I just bought a piece of wood that a seller on ebay claimed came from the Cross of Christ.

I think I may have a bad habit of falling for those con artist tricks from the Middle Ages. >>

I'll make sure to video tape the burning of the phillies I get. >>

Not if it's a Mike Schmidt rookie card you won't. image

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I just bought a piece of wood that a seller on ebay claimed came from the Cross of Christ.

I'll make sure to video tape the burning of the phillies I get. >>

Not if it's a Mike Schmidt rookie card you won't. image >>

I'll open up a youtube account just to burn the schmidt image
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

Don't be fooled- I actually own the whole cross,and I've never auctioned off any 'pieces' of it. I picked it up on a trip to Amman in '99 (don't ask how the cross ended up there, it's a long story). If you're interested in buying the whole enchilada let me know.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cutting up the cross for Crucifixion Used Wood Cards would be just plain blasphemy!

I respect the fact that you're keeping the "wood" intact Boo! image
    Mike

<< <i>

Don't be fooled- I actually own the whole cross,and I've never auctioned off any 'pieces' of it. I picked it up on a trip to Amman in '99 (don't ask how the cross ended up there, it's a long story). If you're interested in buying the whole enchilada let me know. >>

If you're interested, I'll trade ya one genuine Noah's Ark including all the animal descendants. LOL
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I have a Cheeto that looks like Moses' staff
    It's available for trade so if anyone is interested LMK
    One time an ebay scammer had 100 lots for sale to supposedly be given out unsearched at random to all 100 buyers, with the total value of the cards posted, far exceeding the total cost of the 100 lots...so I emailed him and told the little bastige that I was interested in buying all 100 lots and that I would be videotaping opening the package in front of an attorney and if the merchandise wasn't precisely as advertised I would demand from PayPal an immediate refund of all my money.

He refused of course to guarantee that all the posted cards would be in the package, I forget the silly reason the little con artist gave.
  • Just buy the lots first, then do that, paypal will issue the refund.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭

<< <i>Can someone explain the math behind this statement to me? Shipping is $2.00 BTW.

"*EACH $7.95 BID WILL HAVE AT LEAST TEN (10) CARDS WITH APPROXIMATELY HALF OF THE CARDS DATING FROM THE 1920'S TO 1970'S! THAT'S A MEER 50 CENTS PER CARD AND IF YOU TAKE POSTAGE INTO COUNT IT IS ABOUT .30 CENTS PER CARD!!" >>

Classic image Haha, .............my guess 13 years old, or hit the bong 1 time too hard before writing his description.
  • Oh, I believe I figured it out.
    The old auction was $5, and free shipping. But he wasn't making enough money so he changed it to 8 and 2 shipping.
  • back in the day late 60's early 70's, there was a local coin dealer, who had a grab bag /pig in the poke it was a 5 gallon container inside were probably 250 to 400 little cases that would hold 1 to 3 coins or a piece of paper ( telling you what you won) cost was 50 cents a pull . This dealer was very honest. The grand prize was : examples 5 dollar gold coin, 1909-s penny, ect ect, these would be equal to a nice 69 Mantle or a 84 Marino rc ect ect in today's market.

yes most of the cases held a 10 cent coin to 25 cent coin, but that is why they call it gambling.

the point being that the dealer included and actually put the high dollar coin in the container, yes most of the time you lost or broke even unless you were the lucky stiff to pull the big winner, which I did one day it was an 1869 indian penny in xf condition (PSA 7.5) worth about 50.00 dollars at that time for 50 cents, but my real cost was probably closer to 40 to 70 dollars. LOL

So if you get a loser lot of cards, please look in mirror before leaving negative feedback or dinging the sellers stars, because you really only have one person to blame? yourself

or the guy could just be a rip off con artist/thief, so if you don't get the 51 Mantle blast away. jmho
  • I wouldn't ding him for a decent condition lot of what he guaranteed. I'd ding him if they were packaged improperly, super oc/terrible condition - and bad cards.

• << <i>I wouldn't ding him for a decent condition lot of what he guaranteed. I'd ding him if they were packaged improperly, super oc/terrible condition - and bad cards. >>

I think condition wise , I wouldn't expect anything better than PSA 6, most will probably be PSA 1 to PSA 5 at best.

Hope you hit something good or at least break even on your gamble.

I thought about running a pig in poke on the BST 10.00 a card dlvd 96 card lot and 10 of the cards graded by PSA all 1969 Topps basketball no dupes (VGEX to NM). about 15 to 20 worth 10 or more dollars but the remaining 76 cards about 1 to 5 bucks. figured I would have to more unhappy buyers (losers) than happy winners or just not enough buyers (96) to finish the deal.

i think someone tried this a few years back but it was a much bigger set and they were shooting for 100.00 a card (it failed).(52 Topps?)
  • I was trying to do something like that, had like 15 card lots for $15, had a guaranteed GU or AU /w a Marino Rookie/Elway Rookie, and "redemptions" for an arod bat, arod ball and several other nice things but I was rather new and just got flamed more than it worked out.
  • Wow an Original Old Mill Cigarette Card Buyer: Member id bulldogbaseballcardbuyer ( Feedback Score Of 371) Apr-13-10 14:36
    Incredible Sell!1909-1979 Baseball Cards STARS VINTAGE (#370231043815) US $5.00
    Best and easiest transaction ever got a T206 Nat Rucker THANK YOU AAAAAAA+++++++ Buyer: Member id kyron27 ( Feedback Score Of 15) Mar-31-10 13:29
    I got the bare min. 10 cards, half pre 1980. oldest card was only 1973! UNHAPPY! Buyer: Member id daniellearmstrong2009 ( Feedback Score Of 778) Jul-26-10 16:40
    Incredible Sell!1909-1979 Baseball Cards STARS VINTAGE (#290377143849) US $5.00
    wow I can't believe it Mickey Mantle this is the greatest seller on Ebay Buyer: Member id trevorbaylis1 ( Feedback Score Of 30) Sep-28-10 21:06
    overall normal basic cards. good delivery though! Buyer: Member id sergecards ( Feedback Score Of 14) Feb-25-10 18:29
    A 1933 card booked at $120 in near mint condition, thank you. Buyer: Member id alwarber ( Feedback Score Of 573) Feb-11-10 14:38
    Nothing to write home about, decent at best. Buyer: Member id jjssalebarn1 ( Feedback Score Of 959)
    No longer a registered user Feb-10-10 11:48
    Basically as advertised. Nothing fabulous, nothing worthless. Fun 2 open though! Buyer: Member id daveminnj ( Feedback Score Of 122) Dec-03-09 17:08

<< <i>Wow an Original Old Mill Cigarette Card Buyer: Member id bulldogbaseballcardbuyer ( Feedback Score Of 371) Apr-13-10 14:36
    Best and easiest transaction ever got a T206 Nat Rucker THANK YOU AAAAAAA+++++++ Buyer: Member id kyron27 ( Feedback Score Of 15) Mar-31-10 13:29
    I got the bare min. 10 cards, half pre 1980. oldest card was only 1973! UNHAPPY! Buyer: Member id daniellearmstrong2009 ( Feedback Score Of 778) Jul-26-10 16:40
    wow I can't believe it Mickey Mantle this is the greatest seller on Ebay Buyer: Member id trevorbaylis1 ( Feedback Score Of 30) Sep-28-10 21:06
    overall normal basic cards. good delivery though! Buyer: Member id sergecards ( Feedback Score Of 14) Feb-25-10 18:29
    A 1933 card booked at $120 in near mint condition, thank you. Buyer: Member id alwarber ( Feedback Score Of 573) Feb-11-10 14:38
    Nothing to write home about, decent at best. Buyer: Member id jjssalebarn1 ( Feedback Score Of 959)
    No longer a registered user Feb-10-10 11:48
    Basically as advertised. Nothing fabulous, nothing worthless. Fun 2 open though! Buyer: Member id daveminnj ( Feedback Score Of 122) Dec-03-09 17:08
    Incredible Sell!1909-1979 Baseball Cards STARS VINTAGE (#370231043815) US $5.00 >>

Be wary about believing some feedback in certain types of situations like this. Could very well be a few of his buddies with ebay accounts, "bought" a few of these, the monetary transaction didn't even actually take place, but the buddies left the feedback the seller told them to leave...in order to sucker in real buyers who get conned.
  • I didn't check feedback, I guess we will see in a week or so.
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought a pack of 86 fleer from this guy off ebay(stupid I know) and it was resealed. The order of the cards and wear on the cards was a dead giveaway. Needless to say, I will never purchase from him again. >>

I have bought packs (80-81 basketball) from that seller and all were resealed garbage. I got a great deal on them, but it was too good to be true. I also will never buy anything from that seller again.

Matt

• Eh, not sealed packs might as well give it a go. It's not like a pack of exquisite or anything so I think I'll live
  • bump for scans
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Send the Turley RC to be signed. He signs free TTM
    Ya just missed the Mike Schmidt rookie card by only three years. image
  • 3 years is quite a bit