Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions and Comments: PSA/DNA or JSA?

I searched this topic and read all about the fiasco that took place with JSA a few years ago -- but I'm wondering how people feel about the two today?

I don't see many JSA "graded" items but a lot of red flip graded PSA/DNA -- is there a reason for this? Does JSA grade strict or something?

How about re-sell value...are the two just about the same?

All opinions and comments welcome. I have a nice hockey auto coming soon and would like to get it authenticated and slabbed.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    My experience is that they both make mistakes at about the same rate but far exceed any of the other services out there. But when push comes to shove, there's little doubt that the PSA/DNA product brings more than JSA, JSA/BGS, JSA/SGC.
  • Options
    I think they are pretty equal in terms of authentication value. But scott seems to know more about his cornered market than anyone else on these forums.
  • Options

<< <i>I think they are pretty equal in terms of authentication value. But scott seems to know more about his cornered market than anyone else on these forums. >>

Doh!
  • Options
    I just got a JSA basic cert on a photo I had signed at a show today. The same lack of attention that caused the Sal Bando fiasco is still in full force. It's extremely easy to get a fake item authenticated at a show via their basic cert "show special." Therefore, a JSA basic cert is worth next to nothing in my opinion. The basic cert says the item has been fully examined, but this only happens for regular submissions that get charged a regular authentication fee. Show specials barely get a quick glance.

PSA/DNA doesn't do show specials, so their basic cert is comparable to their full LOA. They also typically note any inscriptions in their online verification database, even for basic cert items without a full LOA.

If the item has a full PSA/DNA or JSA LOA, they're both about equal in my opinion, because that means a paid authenticator actually inspected the signature(s).

JSA full LOAs use proper grammar and syntax and always come with a notarized James Spence signature, but their online verification database does not show a photo of the item.

PSA/DNA items with a full LOA can be viewed in their online database, but the letters don't even make sense if you actually read them.

So both have pros and cons, but it really boils down to preference.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I personally hold more trust in JSA (better TEAM of experts) than I do PSA/DNA for accuracy. I dont deny that PSA/DNA stuff will generally bring more but not much of a difference.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    ^what he said
  • Options
    I like the look of the PSA/DNA white/black/red/blue certification label on signed items.

I don't much care for the JSA certification label (too boring, generic, and cheap looking) or the PSA/DNA silver hologram sticker (hard to tell what it is without looking at it closely).

So eye appeal, which is mentioned so frequently on these forums, can also be a consideration, especially on smaller items where the certification label takes up a greater percentage of space near the signature(s).
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    You should be able to go with either company and be fine. They both use or have used many of the same consultants. Neither one is perfect and they've both had well documented blunders. However, that being said, they have probably examined (both cursory and/or in depth) hundreds of thousands if not millions of pieces, and I would expect them to make careless errors from time to time, just like any other human being walking this planet would make. I make mistakes in my job from time to time, and I'm pretty good at what I do, and probably every poster here makes them occasionally as well.

A lot of people like to bash them, however, the bottom line is that autographs with their COA have a much better market value and acceptance than with other COA's on almost every example. Both have good enough, for this industry, reputations to add value (or at least marketability) and to make their service worthwhile.

For autographed slabbed cards, there really is far too many variables to say which one adds more value. You could use many of the same PSA vs. BGS arguments for that. It would matter whether:

1) It was vintage or modern
    2) if you wanted the card or graph graded (or both)
    3) aesthetics of the respective slabs and flips
    4) sturdiness of the respective slabs and flips
    5) fee schedules
    6) value of your time in dealing with the different submission procedures and turn around times
    7) customer service or lack thereof
    8,9,10) etc, etc., etc.

For my money and for my collection, I lean toward PSA/DNA as my mistress of choice. However, anytime you need a little more variety, JSA will be fine as well.

If you only care about finding out the authenticity of a signature and aren't concerned about adding value and marketability, then there are better experts in individual fields. In other words, PSA/DNA and JSA don't have the market cornered on "autograph experts" by any stretch of the imagination, but they do have the market cornered, IMO, for widespread added value and marketability. Unless you plan on taking your autographed items with you when you die, then I'll go for added value and marketability almost every time.

One big caveat, the autograph industry is widely dependent on reputation. If either of these companies ever lose their generally perceived good reputations, then their certs, slabs, and stickers will be as valueless or as detrimental as GAI's are now.

Take care,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I am always surprised when some note the quality of the team of authenticators or confirms or condemns a service. How many really know who is grading/authenticating their material? How much does anyone really know about them or their qualifications. There's a lot of blind faith that people assume in these matters.

At the end of the day, authenticators are human and subject to the mistakes that humans make. Given the quality of work by forgers, card doctors and others trying to profit via deception or fraud, it never ceases to amaze me how many take the opinion of a flip/label or authentication sticker or COA as the word of God.
  • Options
    Buy the autograph, not the LOA.
  • Options
    I have purposely NOT sent to JSA through Beckett because I absolutely refuse to give Beckett any money. I could care less how the holders look. PSA, SGC, and Beckett all protect your cards. Better protection? Are you throwing them in the road to be run over? It shouldnt be so much an issue with any of those if you store them sufficiently. Any memorabilia will always go to JSA. Then again, its easy for me every summer to personally see Spence and have my memorabilia authenticated.

Now that JSA is with SGC, I may use them some depending on if they have authentication specials. If not, I will continue to wait for specials and use PSA.

Scott, to answer your question about "who" is authenticating, both PSA and JSA have bios about their teams of authenticators. Then add personal experiences and experience of others and I think that is how people decide for themselves who has more or less faith in the teams of authenticators. I think people are smart enough to know that a COA is not like the word of God. It boils down to who do we want to trust and the proven reputations to know that they do the best job in the business. It's the best we have. Are there any other alternatives? Of course, educate yourself as much as possible and decide for yourself. I know I have passed signed items authenticated by either company because I look at it and dont like what I see. Fact is, the "experts" with both PSA and JSA have a LOT more knowledge than me. Because of that, I continue to trust them but Im the final decision maker on what I open my wallet for.

Anyone else like GAI, ACE, or any other COA I steer away from.
  • Options
  • Options
    Barry:

My point wasn't "who" are they. It was that most have no idea, don't do any research and blindly accept whatever grades/LOA they see with the PSA, PSA/DNA or JSA name on them. Granted, that's supposed to be the purpose of TPG and TPA, but . . .
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

On EBAY, there is a broader audience for PSA/DNA.

In the most sophisticated venues/markets, JSA and
    PSA/DNA both play just fine.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>On EBAY, there is a broader audience for PSA/DNA.

In the most sophisticated venues/markets, JSA and
    PSA/DNA both play just fine. >>

Have to agree that PSA/DNA has the bigger name, prob due to them being around longer and having the PSA graded card business as well. I do like their online database better as it has a photo of the item (for full LOAs), and I wish Spence would do that. As for value, I haven't seen much of a difference in selling prices between the two on similar items. I would say their reputations are about even among collectors, myself included. I have sent submisisons to both and had good service from each of them.

I will say that items with COAs from Upper Deck, Steiner, and Mounted Memories do command a premium over PSA/JSA, as they witness the signatures rather than give an opinion on them.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I am unfamiliar with the autograph experts....is one team held in higher regard than the other?
  • Options
    GAI