Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$55 Coin for ONLY $199!!! - DOILY

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
Buy the Holder, Not the Coin!

Edit: I have nothing to do with this seller, sale, profit, loss, etc....

1944-S Merc in MS66FB on eBay
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I would pay more than $55, but not THAT much!
  • Options
    Hey, try not to advertise when a Doily comes up will ya. I do agree too much money for that one though.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Baseball . . . I have been scoping that one since it came up.

Here is the deal . . . I try to be a straight shooter and this is how I see this one.

My two Mercs so far:

1942 MS64 7305413 $34 (eBay)
    1942 MS65FB 7305412 $100 (eBay)

Yeah, consecutives. Sort of cool.

Now . . . as the seller is undoubtedly familiar with the Boards and at least two of us are regular buyers as he milks them out one at a time (Mike, you are a crafty one!!) I just pose the question . . . where is the "Doily level of Pain?" I'm not sure on this one . . but yeah, a starting bid of $199 is relatively uncommon for a coin auction (uh, a Merc 66FB???) on eBay unless the seller KNOWS he'll get it. I would presume it indicates a certain amount of market study . . . and a business acumen that is admirable.

Mike . . . just let us know how many more you are going to bring out of the garage so we can plan how to spend our money!! You're only talking to 4 guys here!!

Drunner
    (Resident Doily Slut)

• Options
    On a positive note, the holder seems to be in pristine condition, the label is sharp and clear, and the coin appears to be very nice. Still priced too high, but it's a perfect specimen if you were looking for one. Frequently the labels are faded and the gold/hologram on the reverse is not complete.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On a positive note, the holder seems to be in pristine condition, the label is sharp and clear, and the coin appears to be very nice. Still priced too high, but it's a perfect specimen if you were looking for one. Frequently the labels are faded and the gold/hologram on the reverse is not complete. >>

Most, if not all of the doilies I have seen with an intact ring are in really nice condition with little or no scratches or cloudiness. I wish the same could be said for a lot of the more recent PCGS slabs that I have seen.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< On a positive note, the holder seems to be in pristine condition, the label is sharp and clear, and the coin appears to be very nice. Still priced too high, but it's a perfect specimen if you were looking for one. Frequently the labels are faded and the gold/hologram on the reverse is not complete. >> >>

Hmmm, what would happen to doily slab collecting if the above adjectival description of the plastic slab was reduced to a numeric grade? image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    We will need one grade for the coin and another grade for the plastic slab?

Maybe the plastic slab should get grades like:

A
    B
    C
    D
    F

Otherwise there would be confusion between the numeric coin grade vs the plastic grade?

I think I am going nuts here at work!!!!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    My doily coins were replaced with new holders when I had my set pedigreed back in 2004.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    fcloud: I remember that back then and you probably remember how much I cried.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My doily coins were replaced with new holders when I had my set pedigreed back in 2004.

Really?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Doily holder collectors are an aggressive lot. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>fcloud: I remember that back then and you probably remember how much I cried. >>

Maybe I should have left them alone? What is done is done. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Try collecting doilies that are pl or dmpl Morgans, there are really only a few of those. I have 7 so far. On second thought, don't try it.image
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    Doily collectors are nuts!

imageimage
  • Options
    No, we are not nuts. We are highly specialized numismatists that others simply do not understand. Einstein was way ahead of his time too. When coins are encased in titanium anti-counterfeit holders you'll all rue the day. Then, we'll have REAL plastic collectors!.

Drunner
    (Resident Doily Slut)
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it will sell there is not a "Price Guide" on doilies yet.image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, we are not nuts. We are highly specialized PLASTICmatists that others simply do not understand. Einstein was way ahead of his time too. When coins are encased in titanium anti-counterfeit holders you'll all rue the day. Then, we'll have REAL plastic collectors!.

Drunner
    (Resident Doily Slut) >>

FIFY image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never liked the doily holders, so I would send them in for reholdering.image

Just kidding, BUT if I cherrypick a variety in a doily holder it will be gone since I have to get it into a new variety holder, sorry.
  • Options
    Only own one - if I could get 4X the value of the coin, I'd be tempted to sell - any takers?? image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another WAY OVERPRICED COIN!
    1958-D MS64 DOILY SAMPLE SLAB for $199!

Could you imagine what someone would try to sell a 1916-D MS65FB Merc for if it were in DOILY? Holy Cow!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Another WAY OVERPRICED COIN!
    1958-D MS64 DOILY SAMPLE SLAB for $199! >>

That one is a dual specialty.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    You know . . . I had that Mormon in my hand the day before it went. Big-time dealer I TOOK to the shop decided to grab it instantly . . . and I couldn't believe it. I thought he was a buddy and BAM . .it was gone. Took the obligatory "round-the-country" trip . . and ended up in Lakesammman's hands!

Oh well . . . I know what it costs . . and when I'm ready, I'll give him the Doily armtwist !!!!!!!!!

Drunner
    (Utahn, but not Mormon--until I get Lakesammman's $5 Mormon)
  • Options
    The Doily Sample for $199 did NOT sell.

Drunner
    (Non-Purchaser of the $199 Samples)
  • Options
    I'll give him the Doily armtwist !!!!!!!!!

No - not that....you slut!

• Options
    Now there are two offered, and they won't sell is my prediction.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    Wow. I just did a search on PCGS doily, and there are only six listed on all of eBay.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Lakesammman . . .I know no bounds in my quests . . .

I AM the Doily Slut !!!!! No one else . .

Drunner
    (Packers are kicking butt . .where is Polamalu??)
  • Options
    Better yet, where is RYK?? image
  • Options
    Okay, now there are only two doilies. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ . . . you have been a superb facilitator . . .

My platitudes to you . . .and your superb auctions.

Drunner

(Doily Slut and Pitt down by 4 but moving !!!)
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i guess it takes all types

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file