Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ONLY KNOWN EXAMPLE......I own it..................

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's the 1954 DDR FS-801. This is as far as I know the only example of this variety known. I saw it on ebay and had to have it. It's only an XF, and I'm pretty sure it is the same coin pictured in the CPG. Like I said it is the only one know to me. If anyone ever sees another one in a higher grade let me know.

There is a pic in my sets courtesy of Greg (Keyman64).

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CONGRATS JON! Not every day that you can say you own the ONLY KNOWN EXAMPLE of a US Coin! image

Not my photos, just the ones from the seller...tried to put lipstick on a pig sorta thing.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    For the night crowd!
  • Options
    There doesn't seem to be any Roosevelt fans around here. I can't say I am a Roosevelt fan but I can appreciate rarity.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the average life of a modern dime die in terms of coins struck before the die is retired?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats Jon.

The DDR Dime's images are too small to see the P/U

Can you post a much larger image showing the DDR ??
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Nice find.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Nice find. Do you have a like for the auction?

Tom
  • Options
    just wondering....if it's the only one known then is it the one pictured in the CPG?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only saw the three P,D and S in your set. No DDR for 1954. How about the pics posted in
    the thread with the pick up points?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Yes, this is the coin in the CPG as mentioned in the OP.

Look in the complete Roosevelt Variety Set.

And the pic in the OP shows the doubling...It's at the bottom of the torch on the right.

Thanks for looking.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the average life of a modern dime die in terms of coins struck before the die is retired? >>

Interesting question but since this dime is silver I doubt you can realistically compare this dime's die with one from 1965, 1975, 1985, 1995, 2005 or 2011. The die retirement would be very different. I agree this is a modern design but I would imagine the wear would be more similar to a Barber Dime than one of its own design in 2011.
  • Options

<< <i>I only saw the three P,D and S in your set. No DDR for 1954. How about the pics posted in
    the thread with the pick up points?

bob >>

The best photos available right now are shown in this thread. They are from the seller. If you want to compare, take a look at the CPG for now.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the average life of a modern dime die in terms of coins struck before the die is retired? >>

Interesting question but since this dime is silver I doubt you can realistically compare this dime's die with one from 1965, 1975, 1985, 1995, 2005 or 2011. The die retirement would be very different. I agree this is a modern design but I would imagine the wear would be more similar to a Barber Dime than one of its own design in 2011.

Maybe his point is, how can there be only one of these? if it's not post mint damage or strike doubling, then there must be thousands.

Or did this DDR die strike one coin and then fail or otherwise get removed from service?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I stated that this is the only one known to me. There has to be others for the reasons stated above. But what has happened to them and where are they. I don't think this is a die they would have stopped using because of the DDR.

Until another is found this coin is simply the only one KNOWN.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    $100,000.00 !
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hit at the very bottom of the torch in the CPG does not appear to be
    on this coin. Pics are not the best I must admit. Should be fun to look
    for this DDR.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I stated that this is the only one known to me. There has to be others for the reasons stated above. But what has happened to them and where are they. I don't think this is a die they would have stopped using because of the DDR.

Until another is found this coin is simply the only one KNOWN. >>

i've got one in mint state.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    okay ...thats sweatin it long enough...i'm kidding.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file