Home Sports Talk
Options

The Case against Lance Armstrong

Anyone read the Lance Armstrong article in the latest Sports Illustrated "The Case against Lance Armstrong"? An interesting read. I don't really understand why he's so loved compared to the fallen baseball scandal stars. I get the cancer thing (which it mentions in the article his "doctor" being concerned he caused his testicular cancer by doping for so long) and he's good with his fans but the guy has a Bonds size ego and is can be a total jerk. Anyhow, not a bad read if anyone is interested...

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Anyone read the Lance Armstrong article in the latest Sports Illustrated "The Case against Lance Armstrong"? An interesting read. I don't really understand why he's so loved compared to the fallen baseball scandal stars. I get the cancer thing (which it mentions in the article his "doctor" being concerned he caused his testicular cancer by doping for so long) and he's good with his fans but the guy has a Bonds size ego and is can be a total jerk. Anyhow, not a bad read if anyone is interested... >>

If he took anabolic steroids, i sure didnt notice.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Armstrong created a pretty strong "brand name" for himself, and managed to do so w/o appearing like a spoiled child with a chip on his shoulder, like Bonds did.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Seems like everyone has turned on him.
  • Options

<< <i>Armstrong created a pretty strong "brand name" for himself, and managed to do so w/o appearing like a spoiled child with a chip on his shoulder, like Bonds did. >>

Read his books and listen to his interviews. The guy definitely has a chip on his shoulder and it is largely responsible for his success. Good for him in that regard.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    There is no in between with Lance. People either love him or hate him and drug use really has little to do with it.

Lance had NO competitive advantage over his opponents. Rest assured they had no advantage over him either.

That said, I'm sure the drugs cyclists use pale in comparison to the crap your typical NFL player takes.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone read the Lance Armstrong article in the latest Sports Illustrated "The Case against Lance Armstrong"? An interesting read. I don't really understand why he's so loved compared to the fallen baseball scandal stars. I get the cancer thing (which it mentions in the article his "doctor" being concerned he caused his testicular cancer by doping for so long) and he's good with his fans but the guy has a Bonds size ego and is can be a total jerk. Anyhow, not a bad read if anyone is interested... >>

If he took anabolic steroids, i sure didnt notice. >>

Are you assuming that taking steroids some how AUTOMATICALLY beefs you up? As opposed to simply allowing you to recover faster from training, thereby allowing you to train harder/more frequently? Some guys do bulk up, but that's a function of how they train.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I'd think steroids have more direct impact on cycling performance than they do on baseball performance.

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I'd think steroids have more direct impact on cycling performance than they do on baseball performance. >>

They do not have a direct impact on performance in either sport per se. They have an impact on the ability to train harder/longer/etc, which LEADS to better performance.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    As I've said before: If you have brain, lung, and testicular cancer all at the same time and lose a ball in the process, you get a free pass from me.

The allegations are nothing more than regurgitated previous accusations. One interesting thing was how SI failed to discuss Floyd's fundraising. Got $1MM from fans to start a legal defense fund while he proclaimed his innocence. Once the money ran out and he couldn't find a new team, he decided to come clean.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Floyd had the best opportunity to actually help clean up cycling. He chose to lie and continue to give LA a somewhat plausible denial. The ball is now in Contador's court. I hope he blows it up because he has the ability to verify EVERYTHING Floyd has stated. My guess is he too will continue to live the lie, serve his suspension, and race again in a year or two.

I personally think LA is a winner anytime it's a level playing field. He consistently beat a field full of drug users and is widely known as a major bully. All that said if he comes out of retirement, I'll be rooting for him. Forty year olds have to stick together.

• Options
    The case against Armstrong basically boils down to this:

Hypothetically, let's say he did PEDs. Investors of his team, USPS, were under the impression he rode clean. Even though they made like a 400% return, the Federal government is going after Lance for potentially misleading said investors.

By the way, this year+ long investigation with travels all over the world, was paid by you, my fellow taxpayers.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Don't make up numbers about USPS getting a return from sponsoring cycling. The USPS got nothing in return except a lot of exposure during July. They spent $32M+ on USPS riders. I do agree that if they felt they were cheated a bit, they should negotiate a civil settlement with Lance.

Novitsky is a problem now though. Lance should have never let it come to this. A tearful admission of experimenting like Andy Pettite or an open admission like Canseco could have ended this a long time ago. Now I fear he is going to get exposed as a user and a liar. Lance of all people should have learned from the mistakes of those who have gone before him.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't make up numbers about USPS getting a return from sponsoring cycling. The USPS got nothing in return except a lot of exposure during July. They spent $32M+ on USPS riders. I do agree that if they felt they were cheated a bit, they should negotiate a civil settlement with Lance. >>

It wasn't just USPS. There were several investors in the team and they made a huge return. It may not have been 400% but that's the number I recall.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Lance!