Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it still a U.S. coin when ..........

........... I drill a hole in a Washington Quarter ?

................scratch my initials into a Morgan Dollar ?

...................put a Lincoln cent on the railroad tracks and it gets flattened ?

.......................punch a "9" over the "2" of a Peace dollar ?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>........... I drill a hole in a Washington Quarter ? >>

It's a holy U.S. coin. Have Father Flannagan give it a blessing.

<< <i>................scratch my initials into a Morgan Dollar ? >>

Altered, still a U.S. coin

<< <i>...................put a Lincoln cent on the railroad tracks and it gets flattened ? >>

It's now an Abe Pancake

<< <i>.......................punch a "9" over the "2" of a Peace dollar ? >>

Altered, but still a U.S. coin

• Options
    I might well be wrong , but is defacing currency still regarded an offence of sorts ? I know in practice it can't be prevented but in theory i mean.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, yes, yes and yes. Just not as collectable.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .....I think it is a violation of some statute if it's done for some specific reason ;

but it was common practice 100 years ago to shave some of the reeded edge off of circulating silver and gold coins
  • Options

<< <i>I might well be wrong , but is defacing currency still regarded an offence of sorts ? I know in practice it can't be prevented but in theory i mean. >>

Kind of like changing the date on say uhhhhmmmm Peace dollar, making it a 1964D, knowing there are no known examples to exist?

I agree.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cue the dead horse icon........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I would say yes to all except the penny, because it was probably flattened beyond the point of recognition.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    ....O.K then , ............here go's :

are the D.Carr Fantasy Peace Dollars still U.S. coins ?
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I might well be wrong , but is defacing currency still regarded an offence of sorts ? I know in practice it can't be prevented but in theory i mean. >>

...in the case of a spotted lincoln i think they'll give ya a pass. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>....O.K then , ............here go's :

are the D.Carr Fantasy Peace Dollars still U.S. coins ? >>

They have a deceptive date put on them that the US Mint did not place there. They are counterfeit due to this.
    Not sure why folks are so vehement about thinking these are still real coins?

Worries me about folks wanting to be deceptive and owning deceptive pieces.

Ask yourself these 2 questions:

1) If someone takes a REAL peace dollar and alters the date to 1964, would you want to own it and is it still real?
    2) If someone from China had done what carr has done, and sold the coin saying it isn't real and was stamped over a real (altered) peace dolalr, would you still have bought it and defended that person(s) in China?

Let us know your answer and why you defend carr the way you are........

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>....O.K then , ............here go's :

are the D.Carr Fantasy Peace Dollars still U.S. coins ? >>

Just not genuine 1964D, they are altered U.S. coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Cue the dead horse icon........ >>

Boo hoo.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if I make a convincing 1890-O Barber Dime in MS64?

It shouldn't be a problem, right?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ironically, a real 1964-D Peace Dollar (which we all know doesn't exist because they were all melted but let's be hypothetical) would not be a real U.S. coin since they were never officially monetized.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Just put "Damaged" in there just before the "US" part.
    J'har
  • Options
    Since all the Fantasy Peace Dollars have been sold , by the man who made them , and our now only available on the secondary market ;

I propose a truce between all factions , and that we all move on and let the chips fall where they may .
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this subject has officially been beaten to a pulp.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think this subject has officially been beaten to a pulp. >>

dang has it ever, real tired and played topic in my view.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.....I think it is a violation of some statute if it's done for some specific reason ;

but it was common practice 100 years ago to shave some of the reeded edge off of circulating silver and gold coins >>

I think shaving the rims promoted reeded edges.
    Lance.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are four instances were defacing money is a violation of some form or another:

1. Defacing for fraudulent purposes (like making a $1 bill look like a $100 and attempting to pass it as a $100).

2. Shaving metal ("lightening"). (But nobody really cares any more, since current coins are not precious metal).

3. Melting cents and nickels. (A regulaton intended to thwart large-volume scrappage of coins for base metal content).

4. Affixing commercial advertising to coins and bills.

Otherwise, defacing US money is perfectly legal.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    No, not US coins anymore once they are defaced. Just like if you melt a silver dollar, it shape has been changed, no longer a US coin------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>

There are four instances were defacing money is a violation of some form or another:

1. Defacing for fraudulent purposes (like making a $1 bill look like a $100 and attempting to pass it as a $100).

2. Shaving metal ("lightening"). (But nobody really cares any more, since current coins are not precious metal).

3. Melting cents and nickels. (A regulaton intended to thwart large-volume scrappage of coins for base metal content).

4. Affixing commercial advertising to coins and bills.

Otherwise, defacing US money is perfectly legal. >>

Thank you for a concise answer , i genuinely did not know the law.Many thanks
  • Options
    I wish he would make a 1894S Barber Dime......That would be super sweet!!! Are you listening D Carr?
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, not US coins anymore once they are defaced. Just like if you melt a silver dollar, it shape has been changed, no longer a US coin------------------BigE >>

de·face (d-fs)
    tr.v. de·faced, de·fac·ing, de·fac·es
    1. To mar or spoil the appearance or surface of; disfigure.
    2. To impair the usefulness, value, or influence of.
    3. Obsolete To obliterate; destroy.

Soooooo, are all the folks that are putting permanent marker on half dollars after searching the rolls defacing them? How about if they paint them red on one side? How about if they get put into a paper shredder by your two year old son and get a little chip taken out on the way through? How about if you put a coin into jewelery and then take it back out again? How about if you scratch a coin trying to get it out of a jammed soda machine that you just put it into? How about if your house catches on fire and your money gets charred? How about it a coin is so worn you can't tell the date anymore? How about if a dime turns reddish color from being in the ground for 20 years and your 90 year old granny can't readily tell it apart from a penny? How about any coin for that matter that's been in the ground, or on a beach, or in the ocean for a period of time? I think we need to get the President of the United States of America on this ASAP! Now I know that ANY coin in circulation today that spoils the appearance or surface is no long legal US tender.

I have a lot of change that I'm just going to have to throw away now. Can I even do that? image
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No, not US coins anymore once they are defaced. Just like if you melt a silver dollar, it shape has been changed, no longer a US coin------------------BigE >>

de·face (d-fs)
    tr.v. de·faced, de·fac·ing, de·fac·es
    1. To mar or spoil the appearance or surface of; disfigure.
    2. To impair the usefulness, value, or influence of.
    3. Obsolete To obliterate; destroy.

Soooooo, are all the folks that are putting permanent marker on half dollars after searching the rolls defacing them? How about if they paint them red on one side? How about if they get put into a paper shredder by your two year old son and get a little chip taken out on the way through? How about if you put a coin into jewelery and then take it back out again? How about if you scratch a coin trying to get it out of a jammed soda machine that you just put it into? How about if your house catches on fire and your money gets charred? How about it a coin is so worn you can't tell the date anymore? How about if a dime turns reddish color from being in the ground for 20 years and your 90 year old granny can't readily tell it apart from a penny? How about any coin for that matter that's been in the ground, or on a beach, or in the ocean for a period of time? I think we need to get the President of the United States of America on this ASAP! Now I know that ANY coin in circulation today that spoils the appearance or surface is no long legal US tender.

I have a lot of change that I'm just going to have to throw away now. Can I even do that? image >>

Just apply the 3 definitions you posted above:

To mar, to impair, to obliterate. These imply action and intent on the part of someone, so if they are defaced, they are no longer US coinsimage----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Defaced was just my term i used cos i'm none too bright. Best not to get hung up on that one word.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish he would make a 1894S Barber Dime......That would be super sweet!!! Are you listening D Carr? >>

That would be a fun project. But I'm not going to make anything that is already documented to exist in the numismatic marketplace.

On the other hand, a "1916" Barber half dollar would be a possibility.
  • Options

<< <i>image

image >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Since all the Fantasy Peace Dollars have been sold , by the man who made them , and our now only available on the secondary market ;

I propose a truce between all factions , and that we all move on and let the chips fall where they may . >>

You put the electrodes on this dead horse, but if we all back away from the keyboard it can rest in piece.

By the way.......cows have chips. Horses have road apples!

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O COOL PUT ME DOWN FOR SIXTEEN OF THE 1916 BARBER HALF DOLLARS!

Then, can I please be first to start a long and unending thread about if they are.....blah blah blah.... image

PS ID LIKE AN O MINTMARK PLEASE~!~~~
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i> are the D.Carr Fantasy Peace Dollars still U.S. coins ? >>

Yes. But they are genuine coins with altered dates, not unlike a 1944-D cent with the date altered to read 1914-D. The coins are real, but the coin won't get into a PCGS holder, even if it said "1914-D fantasy piece altered from a genuine 1944-D cent."

Altered date = no slab for you.

Now where's that dead horse icon?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> are the D.Carr Fantasy Peace Dollars still U.S. coins ? >>

Yes. But they are genuine coins with altered dates, not unlike a 1944-D cent with the date altered to read 1914-D. The coins are real, but the coin won't get into a PCGS holder, even if it said "1914-D fantasy piece altered from a genuine 1944-D cent."

Altered date = no slab for you.

Now where's that dead horse icon? >>

There are real 1914-D cents but there are no 1964-D Peace dollars so your analogy is seriously flawed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    .........lets all slowly take our fingers off the trigger , step slowly back from the keyboard ...............easy now ...........

no more pot shots ; time to have a truce
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say yes to all except the penny, because it was probably flattened beyond the point of recognition. >>

You still might recognize it. Here's a 1909 IHC that was a railroad track coin (keep in mind this one was n the ground for probably 100 years as well).

The date is still visible as are other detail elements.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file