Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Extremely Rare Double Struck Error on a 2010 Shied Cent

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is one very rare error coin being the only Double struck Shield Cent that I have ever heard of, but of course there could be more. A very Nice Ebay Cherry image

Comments

• Options
    gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Nice find. Looks like your eyes are still holding up.......
  • Options
    That's very cool , nice and obvious and unquestionable. I'm gonna have start paying closer attention to my change, thanks for posting that.
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>That's very cool , nice and obvious and unquestionable. I'm gonna have start paying closer attention to my change, thanks for posting that. >>

Yes indeed, it is very obvious. I was almost positive it was Double struck from the photos on ebay but wanted in hand to be sure. I very nice ebay cherry.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I see the big E between ONE CENT but nothing else on the cent corresponding to a 30 degree rotation

is there anything on the other side?

it would be really cool to have discovered such a prominent double die on a modern coin
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice one! image >>

you can say that again
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Great looking double die.
    Are you going to send it in to pcgs?
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    Hi, This is not a Doubled Die, IMO it is a Double struck coin.

I was PM'd a thread about this coin on another forum where they say this is a garage job or fake.

I disagree but would like more discussion on this coin tho be sure one way or the other.

I have seen many, many, many garage jobs and this one , IMO is not one of them.

The obverse is perfect, no signs of a smash job. This coin has a double rim.

Let's discuss this more ........

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vote is for it being a real double struck in collar. The higher lettering of the E in cents is affected by the previous strike and i don't see how anyone could fake this type of error on the banner part behind ONE CENT. The horizontal line below E PLURIBUS UNUM is also affected, or is this damage? Wait for more opinions though.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi, This is not a Doubled Die, IMO it is a Double struck coin.

I was PM'd a thread about this coin on another forum where they say this is a garage job or fake.

I disagree but would like more discussion on this coin tho be sure one way or the other.

I have seen many, many, many garage jobs and this one , IMO is not one of them.

The obverse is perfect, no signs of a smash job. This coin has a double rim.

Let's discuss this more ........ >>

Please explain how it could have such an offset yet have the obverse unaffected or "perfect" as you say?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> How could it have such an offset yet have the obverse unaffected or "perfect" as you say? >>

In the case of most in collar double strikes almost all of the first strike is wiped out. What I meant by "perfect" is that it looks normal and no signs of flattened features from a smash job. The obverse Does have a double rim tho.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I sent a double strike in collar Spouse coin to PCGS and they would not recognize it. Is that their policy?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    I may be wrong, but to me it looks like one cent backwards (right to left). It looks like an O of ONE on top of the T of CENT,
    also the E of ONE facing the E of CENT. I would say home made not mint made, not made in the press.

Edit: I see both N's with the slant the wrong way.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭✭
    It does not look double struck to me. My vote is PMD. But, based on the seller's pictures, it was not a bad lottery ticket for the price you paid.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I may be wrong, but to me it looks like one cent backwards (right to left). It looks like an O of ONE on top of the T of CENT,
    also the E of ONE facing the E of CENT. I would say home made not mint made, not made in the press.

Edit: I see both N's with the slant the wrong way. >>

Thats how I see it.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a railroad rim.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like a nice catch image wtg
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... to me it looks like one cent backwards (right to left). It looks like an O of ONE on top of the T of CENT,

I see both N's with the slant the wrong way. >>

image Definitely post mint, unfortunately. Nice eyes, though!
  • Options
    Wow, very interesting thread. Everyone loved the coin until I mentioned that someone else thought it was a garage job. And the tide turned, LOL.

Anyway I still believe this is a true Double struck coin. I think you guys are seeing things in the letters that are not there. And why the double rim?????? And why no flattening of the obverse?

Anyway I thought for fun if I would do a smash job.... so here you go

Smash Job

Smash job obverse with the telltale sighs of a fake

My coin with a photo of the obverse and no flattening and the double rim

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the photos I think it's likely a PMD "smash job", but very lightly hit. I can see the backwards O and N next to/below the normal ONE.
  • Options

<< <i>Looking at the photos I think it's likely a PMD "smash job", but very lightly hit. I can see the backwards O and N next to/below the normal ONE. >>

I don't see what you are seeing. The "E" looks normal and not backward to me.

And No one has answered why the Double Rim??????

I am not being defensive, (or am I, lol), but I see what I see and believe it is real and can't figure out how it is a fake if it is.
  • Options

<< <i>... why no flattening of the obverse? >>

I do see general overall distortion of the obverse, much as if the so-called "smash job" was done over something like very thick leather or very hard rubber.

The bottom line is that the letters 'struck into' the shield banner are in reverse (as they would be if they were imparted by another coin), rather than normal, as they would appear if they were die struck.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...

The bottom line is that the letters 'struck into' the shield banner are in reverse (as they would be if they were imparted by another coin), rather than normal, as they would appear if they were die struck. >>

In hand the "E" does not look pressed in nor backwards. It looks normal to me.

Lighting can make things look recessed when they are not.

Please explain the double rim?
  • Options
    Please PM Fred Weinberg and ask him to look at it.
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looking at the photos I think it's likely a PMD "smash job", but very lightly hit. I can see the backwards O and N next to/below the normal ONE. >>

I don't see what you are seeing. The "E" looks normal and not backward to me.

And No one has answered why the Double Rim??????

I am not being defensive, (or am I, lol), but I see what I see and believe it is real and can't figure out how it is a fake if it is. >>

I meant to say a backward E and N next to the normal ONE. The rim to me is just a product of the original strike.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Please PM Fred Weinberg and ask him to look at it. >>

Aside from Fred, Mike Diamond of CONECA is an excellent authority on all types of error coins.

Perhaps errormaven will stop by?

BTW, ErrorsOnCoins, I don't doubt what you feel but certainly more than 1 expert opinion is needed for something like this.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

There have been plenty of posts in the past regarding how a double rim occurs. Here's one, for example.

I'm no graphics whiz, but here's my interpretation of the reverse lettering that I see. Looke below my added O and E for the added letters from the word ONE, and above my added EN for the added letters from the word CENT. The upper banner edge also slants in the wrong direction.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Please PM Fred Weinberg and ask him to look at it. >>

Aside from Fred, Mike Diamond of CONECA is an excellent authority on all types of error coins.

Perhaps errormaven will stop by?

BTW, ErrorsOnCoins, I don't doubt what you feel but certainly more than 1 expert opinion is needed for something like this. >>

I agree with you completely and would like Mike or Fred to put in their input.

Funny thing is, I was the one who made this thread turn. IMO, Information is a good thing.
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    It looks like post-strike damage or an intentional alteration. The coin lacks the sharp, but incomplete penetration of first-strike elements through the second strike. Instead we have soft, blended overlap which is a characteristic of crude counterfeit second strikes.

If the accessory design elements are raised and normally oriented, then we're probably looking at a very light impact from a fake die of relatively soft consistency. The "double rim" also presents a very uncharacteristic appearance from the standpoint of a genuine double strike. It looks more like the double rims one sometimes sees in association with formerly encased cents.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    From what I have seen on double struck in collar coins it is normally the outline of major devices that stand out.
    Where is the outline of the shield?

look at this eagle.
    You can clearly see the outline of the first strike of the eagle.

If you put a piece of leather between the vice and the coins it will protect the coin from damage. People that do this usually use a tube to maintain alignment. If they use a longer tube
    they can do many at once. I have heard of it being done by the roll. Then they sell some for a profit and the rest go back into circulation.
  • Options
    I will yield to Mike, as he is the expert.

I do see it differently but as I Respect his opinion and will let his diagnostics stand.

I can't see someone making a "fake die" for and $11 coin. The double rim and crumpled rim still has me stumped, but you said it could be from an encased cent. So someone took an encased cent, cracked it out, and stamped it with a false counterfeit die, hmmm....... seems like a lot of work to me for eleven bucks, but who knows, some people have too much time on their hands.

The seller has a full refund policy, but for $11 I thought it was worth the gamble, and will probably keep it.

I would still like Mike of Fred to to this in hand.

Thank you for the Info.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    ErrorsOnCoins - you have the coin in hand so have an advantage over the rest of us, and also have more error experience than most of us, so I have a couple questions for you

- with the double struck idea of yours, is there any coin rotation involved? and if so, can you point out evidence of it?
    - what is going on with the reverse banner with ONE CENT and the area around it (does the metal go up or down, does it look like before or after main strike?)

- could you get the same sort of edge with misaligned dies or ejection doubling?
    (some people call these railroad rims and frequently but not always associated with double struck proof coins)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file