Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do grading services ever mix up lose coins?

Never sent coins in to be graded. Little nervous. Anyone ever had a service lose their coins or get back a coin that was different grade/condition than what you sent in?
If so, how could you resolve the problem? Thank You

Comments

• Options
    I have never had this happen or heard of it happening. I am far more worried about the coin in the mail or back than I am about handling at the grading service. PCGS has handled respectfully my cheapest penny to the rarest and most valuable coins in the world.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    a few years ago i got the wrong batch of coins back. it turns out another member here got mine and i got his. i let pcgs know and they had both of us overnight it back to them and they sent us the right coins. i got some free vouchers out of it. image

edit to add it was a member here on the forum.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    It happened to me at one of the big 2 TPGs (the only time in over 10 years). I sent in about 15 top shelf toners and one of them (a '61 Roosevelt dime) came back that was NOT the coin I sent in. It came back white with just a touch of gold rim toning, not the monster mint-setter I sent in. I was bummed out, as someone now treasures that coin as I never got to. Never got it resolved, there was really no recourse, though I tried. They were apologetic without actually admitting responsibility. I put my thinking cap on and came up with a pretty solid way to combat this, and it has worked for me with over 200 submissions later. I wrote an eBay guide about it... linked here:

Safely submitting coins to TPGs

It takes a little extra effort, but if you think about how much time it takes to locate coins worthy of spending the money on slabbing, its worth it.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently had a submission of regrades where certain coins were supposedly mixed up and put in the incorrect holders resulting in one of my key dates appearing to jump in grade substantially (six figure value increase). Subsequently I was told it was a mechanical error and that I had to return several coins from that submission... oh well.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    The odds are so low that I wouldn't worry too much. (just a little)

Be sure to put the coin number and form number on the tag with each flip.

Ed
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Every package of coins that PCGS receives is opened under video. The coins are immediately placed in a flip. A unique bar coded label is created for the coin and glued to the flip. All the coins from the order are placed in a box that has its own unique bar coded label attached. The coins are never separated from their flips until they are put in holders. It is impossible for your coins to be mixed up with any others while they are at PCGS.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problems with grading services, but I've had auction companies send me the wrong lots a couple times.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is impossible for your coins to be mixed up with any others while they are at PCGS. >>

I appreciate that PCGS has good processes, and maybe even a TL9000 program in place (if you don't you should), but nothing is impossible.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No problems with grading services, but I've had auction companies send me the wrong lots a couple times. >>

Same here. It's probably more likely that USPS will lose your coins than the TPGs. On a positive note, USPS is less likely to mix up your coins with someone else's. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file