Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS or NGC?

New to service graded coins, Thinking of joining either the PCGS or NGC service.

What's the advantage of each? Is there one? Why did you pick one or the other?

I'm looking to get about 12 coins graded after joining. Thank You

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    What are the 12 coins you'll submit to the TPG?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you have set the record for longest duration of membership before posting here at 7 years and 11 months!

I prefer PCGS because I think that the grading is more consistent and slightly more strict, on average, I prefer the holder design, and the market prefers PCGS when you sell the coins. Those are my opinions, and others may agree or disagree. A lot depends on what the coins are and what are your intentions after having them graded.
  • Options
    What the Dirty Gold Man said.
  • Options
    I just joined here before I posted??? No idea why the date is different.

I have a mixture of coins to grade.

2 cents
    large cents
    morgan dollar
    1908 Double Eagle
    Liberty seated dollars
    Proof Liberty dollar
    bust half dollars
    Gettysburg Comm
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with RYK and welcome to the board... image

ABimage
  • Options
    I favor PCGS in part because of the holder design, though the latest NGC holders do improve visibility a lot. PCGS does seemto have a slight market edge in some places over NGC, but it's not noticeable at the local level here in the Dallas area. I have not sent coins to NGC, but I do know that PCGS is more strict about problem coins--NGC will net-grade such whereas PCGS will only holder such as genuine, but both will put problem coins in distinct holders that tend to scare away traders.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    PCGS offers the most return for your money in most cases. If they would come up with some type of designation for supreme eye appeal I would be all in......As a toning collector I love that added insurance so when I die my loved ones will know that it is more valuable.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS all the way in my opinion.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could submit them to PCGS along with a note that says "if I like your grades on these I might join".image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I personally have brand loyalty to PCGS, but it also seems like NGC is a little looser on grading by maybe one grade on some coins. I know this much. Take an MS64 graded NGC 19th century coin and it'll sell for the same price as an MS63 PCGS

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    Let me put it this way, If i buy a coin from you in the future in a NGC holder, I'm going to crack it and send it to PCGS. image
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me put it this way, If i buy a coin from you in the future in a NGC holder, I'm going to crack it and send it to PCGS. image >>

That is a purty good way to keep both companies in business.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now not to give the wrong idea as i said earlier i agree with RYK`s answer and although NGC`s new holders are cool i really like the way toned coins look against the white background surrounding the coins rim in NGC`s older holders...
    Now with that said i think PCGS`s new secure and sniffer is first rate... image

ABimage
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you have set the record for longest duration of membership before posting here at 7 years and 11 months!

I prefer PCGS because I think that the grading is more consistent and slightly more strict, on average, I prefer the holder design, and the market prefers PCGS when you sell the coins. Those are my opinions, and others may agree or disagree. A lot depends on what the coins are and what are your intentions after having them graded. >>

imageimage
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    I think you should use the best .......... and it go's without saying which one that is ..........
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer PCGS for US coins.

For world coins, they're equal, as far as I'm concerned.

For ancients, which happen to be my current avenue, NGC is the only game in town. (Well, maybe not the only game in town, depending on whether ANACS has resumed grading them, but NGC is where my Romans will be headed next week.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Well...look where you are asking this question. What kind of replies are you expecting?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Your a funny guy!!
    Well...look where you are asking this question. What kind of replies are you expecting? ....

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS coins are usually slightly easier for me to sell, but only slightly. The PCGS name has a lot going for it with the rank and file in the hobby. I think PCGS has the best technology around with their sniffer and PCGS secure. However, I actually prefer NGC's latest EdgeView holder. At Summer Seminar last year I heard that NGC spent literally millions of dollars over several years developing the plastic in their scratch-resistant holder. And, I like seeing all three sides of the coin in that holder.

For certifying my own coins, I would go with PCGS. However, for my collection in general, I believe that if you don't collect coins slabbed by both companies, you may not have the best collection. There are great coins in both holders.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    Apparently, if you are thinking of selling them some day at Heritage, you should get them graded by NGC because those two companies are in cahoots.

If that is not a factor, then by all means PCGS. PCGS offers the SecurePlus Fingerprint and Coin Sniffer. Those two technologies will ensure that someone buying your coin knows it has not been tampered with, especially your gold coins. NGC is lagging in those technologies.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    There are many who argue that PCGS has tighter standards... and some very respected members amongst us who would argue they are about the same... with many being of the opinion that it depends on the series and / or grade range.

What is undeniable, is that PCGS certified coins command higher premiums in the market place... so if you are going to incur the expense of getting your coins slabbed, this may be the way to go, since they will be worth potentially more in PCGS holders.

When it comes to buying, however, always trust your eyes more than the label from either company.
  • Options
    I would definitely go with PCGS for all the reasons previously stated but, most importantly, your coins will just look way cooler in a PCGS holder. And they will bring more money when it's time to sell.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, if you are thinking of selling them some day at Heritage, you should get them graded by NGC because those two companies are in cahoots.

It is my opinion that this relationship is irrelevant to the collector, whether buying or selling coins, and this advice should be disregarded.
  • Options

<< <i>Well...look where you are asking this question. What kind of replies are you expecting? >>

It's like walking into a Chevy dealer and asking people if they prefer Mustangs or Camaros.
  • Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGSPCGS PCGS PCGS PCGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

I think you are still not sure image
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apparently, if you are thinking of selling them some day at Heritage, you should get them graded by NGC because those two companies are in cahoots.

It is my opinion that this relationship is irrelevant to the collector, whether buying or selling coins, and this advice should be disregarded. >>

It's not only irrevelevant, but I would also deem it ignorant and a cheap shot without being knowledgable about any facts other than some % of ownership.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Apparently, if you are thinking of selling them some day at Heritage, you should get them graded by NGC because those two companies are in cahoots.

It is my opinion that this relationship is irrelevant to the collector, whether buying or selling coins, and this advice should be disregarded. >>

I was thinking the exact same thing, well put.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file