Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Definition of "REAL (coin) COLLECTOR"

Comments

• Options
    Someone who collects coins.
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my 8 Real piece, thereby making me a Real Collector:

imageimage
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone who collects coins. >>

Ditto!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    << Someone who collects coins. >> Ditto!

Okay. What about an investor that pays someone to choose and buy coins for them, yet they have a very nice collection.
    Are they a "real coin collector"?

On the flip side. What is someone buys a lot of damaged and problem coins, are they a "real coin collector"?

Its just I heard the term somewhere, and it got me thinking. My definition of a real coin collector could be different to someone else's.

I'm not saying there is a right definition for the term.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What about those that only collect fake coins?

Good for you.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is my 8 Real piece, thereby making me a Real Collector:

imageimage >>

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Are you purposely limiting where you want to go with this by using the word "collector"?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

My definition of a "real collector" would be someone who:

1) Appreciates and enjoys and has passion for what they collect
    2) Has gone beyond haphazard accumulation into actively assembling a collection that is greater than the sum of its parts

• Options

<< <i><< Someone who collects coins. >> Ditto!

Okay. What about an investor that pays someone to choose and buy coins for them, yet they have a very nice collection.
    Are they a "real coin collector"?

On the flip side. What is someone buys a lot of damaged and problem coins, are they a "real coin collector"?

Its just I heard the term somewhere, and it got me thinking. My definition of a real coin collector could be different to someone else's.

I'm not saying there is a right definition for the term. >>

Your first scenario is not a collector but an investor (as stated).

The second scenario could very well be a collector.

IMO, a coin collector is one who finds or buys coins with a specific collecting goal in mind.
    That same collector may recognize opportunity within the coin collecting hobby to purchase and then flip certain products but only to further his/her collecting interests.

An investor, on the other hand, only purchases coins with the specific intent of selling them over the short/long term. Any interest in the coins is only related to furthering their value. (Perhaps they should be called 401K Coin Collectors?)

Whatever. I think that there is a fine line between coin collector and coin investor which allows both to jump across the line at any point in time. However, the investor will always relate to his collection in terms of dollars and cents whereas the collector will relate to his collection as what it truly represents to him/her. A collection of coins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    One who collects genuine (as opposed to counterfeit) coins.image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A real coin collector is someone who is trying to learn something about coins
    and is collecting them. Of course a "REAL (coin) COLLECTOR" has to have ac-
    tually made some progress on both collecting and learning.

Just learning about pricing probably isn't enough in most cases. One can only
    learn about pricing and be a "REAL (coin) DEALER" or "REAL (coin) INVESTOR".
    For some real collectors learning about pricing can be enough, no doubt.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>One who collects genuine (as opposed to counterfeit) coins.image >>

I have two counterfeit IKE's which I'm quite proud of and refuse to throw away which is the only alternative since I can't really sell them.

Well I guess I could but ................... who'd buy em? image

I mean, folks don't even want the real ones! image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    How about somebody who has the capacity to appreciate coins for the right reasons? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file