Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Question About eBay 2009-P Sacagawea Roll 6P3

OK, I am cleaning out today, what better thing to do in snowy January? Anyway, I listed a few things on eBay, all unopened Mint boxes of Kennedy half business strikes, Sacagawea dollars, and 2009 Presidential Lincoln cents. I am aureus11 there if you want to look

aureus11/VDBCoins.com eBay Listings

Well, the 2009-D Sac box containing the rolls (6P4) are dated 02/02/09, but the 2009-P boxes are dated 12/31/08! I confess that my heart beat just a little faster there when I noticed ... Now, I am a firm believer in Murphy, and His Inviolable Law. If I open the boxes and destroy the original roll, I will end up with 25 golden Sacs to take to my local credit union. If anyone else buys them, they are gonna find 5 Sac quarter mules minimum, 3 WL halves, and a CWT token struck in an unknown metal.

Well, maybe ... My point is, and I'm not trying to get all hypazoid here, but I thought the (modern!) Mint couldn't strike coins not dated in the calendar year they were struck in. Did the box lettering machine just get messed up? Or is there really a possibility (which of course I did mention in my eBay writeups) of an edge lettering error? Could these have the 2009 Agriculture reverse and 2008 date on the edge?

Talk amongst yourselves ... thanks. George
VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Not sure why this is on the BST instead of the US Coins forum where it should belong, since I don't see anything for sale or trade, nor trying to buy, in this thread.
    2) Coins may be struck ahead of time (how else do you think they can get some of them released so early in the year?)
    3) You are looking at the date/time stamp of the BOX when it went through, not when the coins were minted (see #2 above).

So, in answer to your question, no, there is likely NO possibility for the "error" that you are asking about, but if you really think there is a shot, go buy them and open them up image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1) Not sure why this is on the BST instead of the US Coins forum where it should belong, since I don't see anything for sale or trade, nor trying to buy, in this thread.
    2) Coins may be struck ahead of time (how else do you think they can get some of them released so early in the year?)
    3) You are looking at the date/time stamp of the BOX when it went through, not when the coins were minted (see #2 above).

So, in answer to your question, no, there is likely NO possibility for the "error" that you are asking about, but if you really think there is a shot, go buy them and open them up image >>

I wasn't sure where to put it, but I am selling these coins myself, so I didn't want to put it in a place that would be considered, ahem, improper. Just trying to do what is right. But I stop short at buying my own coins off of eBay image
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.